What Are You Reading?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Tyrant » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:48 am

Apparently Magos Drusher appears in the Eisenhorn stories, but I haven't read them so someone who has needs to confirm that!
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby George Stirling » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Tyrant wrote:Apparently Magos Drusher appears in the Eisenhorn stories, but I haven't read them so someone who has needs to confirm that!
I can't find any mentions of him in my notes for The Inquisition. If he does feature, it must have been a very minor role, and likely unnamed.
George Stirling

Postby Tyrant » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:30 pm

Sorry, told a lie. Google informs me that Magos Drusher appeared in the Crucible of War anthology published in 2003, in a short story called The Curiosity. My mistake!
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby Xisor » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm

George Stirling wrote:
Tyrant wrote:Apparently Magos Drusher appears in the Eisenhorn stories, but I haven't read them so someone who has needs to confirm that!
I can't find any mentions of him in my notes for The Inquisition. If he does feature, it must have been a very minor role, and likely unnamed.

Magos Delphan Gruss appears as a compatriot of Eisenhorn's in Inquisitor itself, but if memory serves he doesn't actually make an appearance in the novels themselves.

I finished Rules of Engagement in Age of Darkness and am now on Jim's Name Forgotten, have bad cold story. It's rather good. Reminds me a lot of Angels in Let the Galaxy Burn which I'd say is a very good thing indeed.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Raziel4707 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Have found myself stuck far from home this week and unable to use my mobile to read the ebooks I've loaded onto it, so was forced to buy the "Brunner" omnibus as WHSmith would not know what a "selection" of books looked like if one bit them on their collective arse.

Well, I say forced, but I'd wanted to read some of Carandini's work for some time. It's bloody awesome so far, getting right back into WHF, so cheers CL, your book is making this week rather more bearable.
Raziel4707

Postby J D Dunsany » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Just finished Deathwing. As is usually the case with anthologies, the quality was slightly variable (with, shocked as I am to say it, the William King IG story being the weakest), but, tbh, not really by much. The Watson and Constantine stories are all fab - there's a preponderance of Inquisitor and 'quirky' stories in this collection and, despite the strength of the title story, Astartes are not a main focus here. Psykers in one form or another definitely are, though (they feature in five of the seven stories), and most of the authors do a good job of exploring their potential for dramatic effect in their narratives. The main character in Neil McIntosh's 'Seed of Doubt', for example, is one of the most interesting psykers in 40K fiction I've read since the one in Simon Spurrier's Lord of the Night and, indeed, her relationship with her Inquisitor is similarly difficult.

The standout story for me is the title story, though - a beautiful, powerful exploration of Space Marines' longevity. Lovely stuff.

Recommended if you can get hold of it.

Looking at my growing pile of BL books that I need to read, I've started on Savage Scars. It's far too early to make a judgement, but I enjoyed Rogue Star and Sword of Damocles, so I have high hopes for this one.

All the best!

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Dorian » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:43 pm

The Serial Killer Files: The Who, What, Where, How, and Why of the World's Most Terrifying Murderers - Harold Schechter and Mark Olshaker

Mind Hunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit - John Douglas and Mark Olshaker

The Anatomy of Motive : The FBI's Legendary Mindhunter Explores the Key to Understanding and Catching Violent Criminals - John Douglas and Mark Olshaker

Obsession - John Douglas and Mark Olshaker

All books are terrifying but extremely interesting reads. The human psyche is a very frightening thing.
Wyrd bið ful aræd.

We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things.

If the world is at peace then it means someone is planning war.
Dorian

Postby Eroldren » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:34 am

Finish 'Gardens of Tycho' though the ending of the true killer left me kidda 'rob' of a conclusion. Hey thanks Tyrant for the info been a bit since I dug out the Crucible of War, thought Abnett might had slip in more Drusher tales in that gap between 03 and 10.
"Behind our efforts, let there be found our efforts."
Eroldren

Postby paulus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:11 am

im reading propero burns at the mo and really enjoying iy now ive got past the first third.
listening to garro legion of one and dead in the water whilst driving around at work.
but what to read next??
more horus hersey, cain or maybe start my first gaunts ghost book??

you decided!!

oooh maybe primary instinct. anyone heard of this sarah cawkwell??? ;-)
paulus

Postby Xisor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:14 am

Normally I'd say more Heresy! as it means you can talk about it and ask questions much sooner than other people.

Today is a normal day: read more Heresy!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Carandini » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:36 am

Happy to hear that Brunner is making the week not quite so bad, Raz. I certainly enjoyed writing it, so I can only hope you have half as much fun reading it.

On my front, I'm reading Steppe by Piers Anthony. I've not been a fan of the Xanth books, so I'm hoping this earlier work by Mr. Anthony is more to my liking.
Carandini

Postby Cerberus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:45 am

Finished George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones yesterday so I'm spending some happy time in the Sabbat Worlds anthology.

After that I'm not sure. but I have all the recent BL ebook releases sitting on my Kindle ready to go.
Cerberus

Postby Xisor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:53 am

Victories of the Space Marines for me. So far, so good. Might've been a little spoiled by Age of Darkness though!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Northern » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:19 am

The Crippled God. I don't know what to make of it so far, its got all the usual Erikson touches (an insanely large cast and streak of cynicism a mile wide) but if I'm honest I'm a little lost. Am I the only person who yearns for a 'the story so far' at the start of the book?
Northern

Postby flick » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:34 am

The pear shaped man - Matheson.

Theeerrrreeee you are.....
flick

Postby Carandini » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:24 am

Now reading The Key, a Shadow mystery written by William B. Gibson.
Carandini

Postby coydna » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:39 am

Just finished reading Blood Reaver by AD-B adn it's stonkingly great. A lot happens, a lot more than I really expected, and the Red Corsairs are all evil b- wait, curse word, try swines.

Starting on Mr B. Gone by Clive Barker. It's an odd book with the author talking to the you, the reader for the entirety. Which is novel for, a, uh, novel but it's wearing off a bit adn I'm on the fence for the moment. I really enjoyed The Hellbound Heart and Imajica so this has been a little disappointing thus far.
coydna

Postby Sig » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm currently floating high on the magnificance that is Star Maker :D Only a third of the way through it and it's already contending to displace The Dispossessed as my favourite sci-fi book of all time.
Sig

Postby Phalanx » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Currently reading Ragnar's Claw, part of the Space Wolves Omnibus. Loving how William King walks you through the whole process of how a Space Wolf becomes a Space Wolf in the first one, and this second novel is a brilliant example of how an initiate earns his fangs :)
"There is an impothter among uth, and he touched my ath!"
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby flick » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:11 pm

Phalanx wrote:Currently reading Ragnar's Claw, part of the Space Wolves Omnibus. Loving how William King walks you through the whole process of how a Space Wolf becomes a Space Wolf in the first one, and this second novel is a brilliant example of how an initiate earns his fangs :)

I was totally annoyed that they didn't include the original training for space wolves...that they get drugged and impanted with the geneseed, and they are left out in the middle of knowhere, to fend for themselves against Fenrisian wildlife and their emerging bestial attributes.

*edit* I think the latest codex mentions it again.
flick

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events