What Are You Reading?

Considering Black Library books, products and events.

Re: What Are You Reading?

Postby Phalanx » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:13 am

Oh, so that's not? I'll be honest, I've not read the Wolves codex. What *should* it be then?
"There is an impothter among uth, and he touched my ath!"
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby Raven » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:10 am

The Chapters Due.
Raven

Postby Erunanion » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:01 am

I'm eating my way through Caledor at the moment. Not bad at all so far.
Check out my shiny new website, with genuine new-blog smell! - http://www.jonathandbeer.com

The Emperor's Mercy - Prologue - The first piece of fiction I've put up on the Bolthole's new incarnation.

"It is the 41st Millennium, and never underestimate the ability of the universe to infinitely screw you over." - Lord Lucan
Erunanion

Postby Brother Emund » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:10 am

Emperor's Mercy by Henry Zou. Not a bad book, very descriptive. The only issue I have with it (so far),

Spoiler: is why an Inquisitor is getting so involved with the combat on the ground and mixing it with the grunts, when he should be way above that and doing his job!

All men with honour are kings, but not all kings have honour
Brother Emund

Postby cjphillips » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:16 pm

T H White - The Once and Future King. Which has now made me want to watch The Sword in the Stone, dammit.
cjphillips

Postby Mob » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Brother Emund wrote:Emperor's Mercy by Henry Zou. Not a bad book, very descriptive. The only issue I have with it (so far),

Spoiler: is why an Inquisitor is getting so involved with the combat on the ground and mixing it with the grunts, when he should be way above that and doing his job!

[scurriless rumour]Because that book is ripped off from a real one about front-line combat and the author just inserted his Inquisitor character into the story?[/scurriless rumour]

Finished the BLLive stuff. Now re-reading The First Heretic and Norwegian Wood, as I went to see the film the other day. Great, but tough viewing in places. I don't remember the book being quite so brutal...I suspect this is because the author's prose is so dreamlike and magical in carries you through the rough spots like a river's flow.
Mob

Postby Tyrant » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Just finished Blood Reaver, loved it. Probably ADB's best book in my opinion. Next up is Victories of the Space Marines.
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby J D Dunsany » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:49 pm

Mob wrote:
Brother Emund wrote:Emperor's Mercy by Henry Zou. Not a bad book, very descriptive. The only issue I have with it (so far),

[scurriless rumour]Because that book is ripped off from a real one about front-line combat and the author just inserted his Inquisitor character into the story?[/scurriless rumour]

Actually, that's Flesh and Iron. As far as I know, Emperor's Mercy hasn't ripped off anyone.

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Carandini » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:35 pm

cjphillips wrote:T H White - The Once and Future King. Which has now made me want to watch The Sword in the Stone, dammit.

You must have a cast-iron stomach. I didn't think there was a soul alive who would read that on their own without a teacher blackmailing them into it :D
Carandini

Postby cjphillips » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:39 pm

Carandini wrote:
cjphillips wrote:T H White - The Once and Future King. Which has now made me want to watch The Sword in the Stone, dammit.

You must have a cast-iron stomach. I didn't think there was a soul alive who would read that on their own without a teacher blackmailing them into it :D

If it's good enough for Professor X, it's good enough for me...
cjphillips

Postby J D Dunsany » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:18 pm

Just got Hunt for Voldorius. Not read it yet, but I appear to be suffering from some minor mental problem with the title. Am I the only person who goes around humming 'Vo...Vo...Voldorius'?

I am, aren't I?

JDD
J D Dunsany

Postby Cerberus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:02 pm

J D Dunsany wrote:Just got Hunt for Voldorius. Not read it yet, but I appear to be suffering from some minor mental problem with the title. Am I the only person who goes around humming 'Vo...Vo...Voldorius'?

I am, aren't I?

JDD

You were. Now I'm doing it too. :roll:
Cerberus

Postby Brother Emund » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:56 pm

J D Dunsany wrote:
Mob wrote:

Actually, that's Flesh and Iron. As far as I know, Emperor's Mercy hasn't ripped off anyone.

JDD

Wow, I just read the reviews on Flesh and Iron, and boy did it get slated!
All men with honour are kings, but not all kings have honour
Brother Emund

Postby J D Dunsany » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Which is a shame, because he's quite a good writer. Blood Gorgons has had some favourable reviews.

JDD
J D Dunsany

Postby Phalanx » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Wow, I had no idea Henry Zou had plagiarised so badly! I am absolutely shocked. I'm even more shocked at Black Library for letting this stand!

The first Amazon review for it explains everything, and it's absolutely astonishing!
"There is an impothter among uth, and he touched my ath!"
ChrisDamico.co.uk
Phalanx

Postby Carandini » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:15 am

I'm not taking sides on this as I've read neither book. However, I do think it is a bit unfair to expect the BL editors to catch something like this (should it be true). They are just people too and not omniscient flesh-machines. If nobody at the office read House to House before publishing Flesh and Iron, then there is no way they would be aware of this incident. Every publisher relies upon the integrity of their writers and can't spend all their efforts checking every book the writer has access to for *ahem* similarities.
Carandini

Postby Xisor » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:29 am

Carandini wrote:I'm not taking sides on this as I've read neither book. However, I do think it is a bit unfair to expect the BL editors to catch something like this (should it be true). They are just people too and not omniscient flesh-machines. If nobody at the office read House to House before publishing Flesh and Iron, then there is no way they would be aware of this incident. Every publisher relies upon the integrity of their writers and can't spend all their efforts checking every book the writer has access to for *ahem* similarities.

Quite right. Though, I would note that they've a certain integrity to maintain themselves. Moreover, I imagine the IP owner for House to House probably can go for breach of IP.

In other news, I heard scurrilous rumours lodged against Death World too, by someone who'd read Deathworld. Notice the difference? Apparently overlarge similarities.

Myself though, I've found Zou's work to be good, not excellent, but fine enough to justify buying the book. If it's plagiarism I do approve of 'coming down hard', but without something more concrete than internet hearsay, I'd be inclined to ignore it for a while.

What I'm reading

Still on Victories of the Space Marines. Mr Carandini: I liked rather a lot!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mob » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:54 am

J D Dunsany wrote:
Mob wrote:

JDD

Oh, cheers for the correction. I remember now. I actually read a bit of Emperor's Mercy before deciding it wasn't for me. Lots of posturing and and some sort of super-kool young badass Inquisitor who went around being rude to people IIRC.
Mob

Postby J D Dunsany » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:14 am

Yep. My take is that it gets better once he gets into his stride. Zou writes combat very well indeed and there's lots of it to enjoy in Emperor's Mercy. The problems with the novel as I see it is that the plot's a bit too episodic and sometimes he tries a bit too hard with the prose style. When he gets that right, though, he's very good indeed.

I haven't got Blood Gorgons yet, but I will. As I mentioned before, I'm hearing good things about it.

JDD
J D Dunsany

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:29 am

Soul Hunter, Aaron Dembski-Bowden. I'm expecting great things (and it was certainly an enjoyable opening chapter).
Chun the Unavoidable

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Black Library - Products and Events