40k Army: Salamanders 4th Company Detachment

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: 40k Army: Salamanders 4th Company Detachment

Postby Xisor » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 pm

I didn't spend as much time on them as I'd hoped. Nevertheless. Here's some more.

Still need to do their service/forehead studs too. Still, they're looking a good bit better. Also I've noticed a lot of 'splodges' where I've went 'outside of the lines'. A bit silly. Will need much green to go over all of them. Le sigh.

Anyway, I'm pleased with how they're looking. Needing a proper case for them too, protect them from scratches.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby LordLucan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:07 am

I like the work you've done on the champion with the power hammer.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:21 am

They're certainly looking more lively, now.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:27 am

The champion is definitely a good one. Where is that hammer from btw, fantasy empire sprues?
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:17 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:The champion is definitely a good one. Where is that hammer from btw, fantasy empire sprues?

the hammer head looks more akin to a stunty one.

I reckon the faces look a tad too shiny now for my aesthetic take, but they still look awesome if you want what appears to be light bouncing off noses and foreheads.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Ogun » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:40 pm

Beautiful work! I think the colour you are using for the eyes really works well. Which colour/s did you use for that? I think the grey highlight you have used for the skin is the way to go personally. It is one of those things though that looks better at a distance rather than up close I find.
How are you planning to do the yellow chapter symbol for the 4th? I was originally going to make mine 4th company but my free hand is nowhere near good enough to make a good consistent Salamander symbol (can just manage Blood Angel's tear drops :roll: ). Of course if you are so fortunately wealthy to be able to afford the Forge World ones then any problem solved! For my own I have now settled (after many years) on being the 2nd Company. Pellas Mi'shan is quite an added incentive after all! :)
'What do you mean you "forgot to deploy the Baneblade"?'
Ogun

Postby Xisor » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:30 pm

Ogun wrote:Beautiful work! I think the colour you are using for the eyes really works well. Which colour/s did you use for that? I think the grey highlight you have used for the skin is the way to go personally. It is one of those things though that looks better at a distance rather than up close I find.
How are you planning to do the yellow chapter symbol for the 4th? I was originally going to make mine 4th company but my free hand is nowhere near good enough to make a good consistent Salamander symbol (can just manage Blood Angel's tear drops :roll: ). Of course if you are so fortunately wealthy to be able to afford the Forge World ones then any problem solved! For my own I have now settled (after many years) on being the 2nd Company. Pellas Mi'shan is quite an added incentive after all! :)

Cheers, Ogun!

I'm inclined to agree on the eyes/skin. Better that it looks 'a bit off' than to just go with brown ("You idiot, didn't you know that Salam..." yada) or 'pure' black+red (as it looks quite unpainted, as the others indicate). I think the trick is to be a little more 'deft' with it.

As for the company icon: here's one bloke sporting the 3rd Company icon on a banner. I don't like it though, mainly as it looks doodled by a child.

Also: the 3rd Company's is green, not yellow! Well, sourcing from Lexi, it's green.

Having said that, after doing a squad and a bit's worth of 'flames' for their right shoulders, I'm feeling pretty chipper. Will upload some pictures ASAP.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Ogun » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:11 am

Also: the 3rd Company's is green, not yellow! Well, sourcing from Lexi, it's green.

(Sound of hand hitting forehead)
Green indeed! :oops: I've no idea why after collecting Sallies for 11 years I still occasionally get the 3rd and 4th company colours mixed up! :roll:

Look forward to seeing more of your work!
'What do you mean you "forgot to deploy the Baneblade"?'
Ogun

Postby Xisor » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Hand-drawn Flames!

I've only done a Tactical Squad, bits of a Command Squad (inc. Captain Dac'tyr's back-banner) and a dreadnought (and a couple of 'bits' on two Assault Marines), but I think as a 'proof of concept' it works really well for a very simple/elementary flame-motif or technique.

Simplicity itself:
1- Crude 'whole flame' in Mechrite Red
2- Crue slightly smaller flame in 'blood red'
3- Again in Macharius Solar Orange
4- Again in thingamy yellow
5- Again for the 'heart of the flame' in simple Skull White.

It's a bit untidy and very simple (no blending), but I think it works nicely. Perhaps you folks disagree though. :?

And for some of the 'special' bits.
Dac'tyr Himself
Firedrakes & Standard Bearers

So there we are, Xisor's remarkably simple flame technique. Not perfect, certainly, but for someone of my profound incompetence, I think it works neatly.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:28 am

Salamanders Fourth Company, roll out!

Good job man! Looks really good!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:32 am

It works nicely, definitely. I like it.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Colonel Mustard » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:54 am

Very nice indeed, good sir Xisor, very nice indeed! Love the flame patterns, and even though it looks like they're painted on, it works because they're supposed to be painted on; it's ingenious!

Best of luck in your gaming with these lads; looking forward to seeing how they do.
Colonel Mustard

Postby Xisor » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:49 am

Cheers, folks! Your responses are very encouraging and also very humbling. :)

---

I had an idea this evening to 'theme' the flames depending on the division of the chapter the Marine in question corresponds to. I'd considered a nice copper flame for the Techmarines/armoury and a nice super-hot blue for the Librarium. This half worked, as you will see on Codifier Ikon. ;)

I also painted up the flames for almost all the army and even made some really crude banners! All that remains is properly putting (err, painting crude) Terminator Honours on the remainder of my Firedrakes and then...well, then working out how I wish to designate my Firedrakes. Also, I've noticed that I've messed up some shoulder-pads here and there. Notably Captain Dac'tyr has his Deathwatch plate on the wrong side (and needs his corresponding arm painted silver[or the opposing one, so he's 'half right': perhaps the company badge {for a captain} would be given preference?] ).

Anyway, without further ado...

The Lord of the Burning Skies & friends

Tactical Squad #5

Tactical Squad #4

Tactical Squad #7 & Devastators #3

Tactical Squad #2

Assault Squad #2

Assorted Firedrakes

Vulkan ???
& the Circle of Fire!

Chaplain Regon
& Vulkan's Sigil

Codicier Ikon

Techmarine Venitor

The Lord of the Burning Skies and his Command Squad

Assorted Team Photographs

And so...there we are. Still got a fair bit of fixing and detail to do on them, but broadly speaking, I think they're 'nearly there'. Certainly, they're in a fine state to actually hit the tabletop!

The only ones who're in particularly bad shape are the still-not-quite-renamed Talons of the Night, and that's mainly because 3/4 of them aren't yet painted!

---

Thoughts for the future

I've two routes I want to explore with them.

The first is actually buying them some vehicles. I think three drop-pods are in order (as I'm rarely, if ever, deploying everyone at once), as well as a Land Raider or two.

The second option is one I think which'd be much more fun from a modelling perspective. That is: buy a box of Dark Angels veterans, a box of Black Templars upgrades, a box of Chaos Space Marines and a box of Devastators. Then kitbash myself almost two squads' worth of Devastators. (E.g. Devastators #1 and #3.) :twisted:

In terms of which one's more pressing and urgent for the table top, it's certainly the first choice. Given my finances, there's no choice: neither! But still, it's thoughts for the future, so I've something to look forward to!

(I've also given some thought to a box of Grey Knight terminators. I should have plenty of Thunderhammer/Storm Shields left over, so I'd be able to do a nice 5-up of TH terminators, but in the nice, fancy Grey Knight armour. Much more befitting our beloved and ornate Firedrakes!)
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Vivia » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:54 pm

The pron is overwhelming.
You painted the Sallie icon? I didn't know it was so scary, it's far from the mucous coated amphibian.
You're doing a great job.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Major Rawne » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:24 pm

:o is all the is needed.
Major Rawne

Postby Xisor » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:45 am

Cheers, Vovo & Rawne. :) I think my hope is to paint up a few of the 'Talons of the Night' tomorrow (e.g. the Assault Terminators). I've got quite good at systematically painting in bulk, so with ~5 Terminators still to 'start' and another five to finish, I might just make some progress!

As for the banner/icon - I had this one in my head when painting it:

Though I wonder if I'm able to have one of the Firedrakes from the Abortionists or Talons of the Night have this emblazoned as cutely on their shields, banners or icons...

The idea of either of them hosting a marine who's particularly fond for his fondness of zoology and 'wet' sciences would be quite wonderful. (The Abortionists especially as they're, in my reading of things, the ones who dropped Exterminatus on that star child/illuminati cult back in Third Edition...) The juxtaposition would be nice, I'm sure.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Vivia » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:53 pm

Salamanders are my new favourite animal. :) 'Talons of the Night', that's a cool name.

Btw, you're painting like the wind because of BLL?
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Colonel Mustard » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:02 pm

Truly awe inspiring, good sir. Truly awe inspiring...
Colonel Mustard

Postby Gaius Marius » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:26 pm

Beautiful!
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Xisor » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:22 pm

The Talons of the Night

An archaic designation, stemming from late M35 and the conclusion of the Nova Terra Interregnum. The Firedrakes of the Salamanders chapter had been almost spent throughout near-constant deployment for the preceding eight centuries, only the present company commander (the presiding Regent of Prometheus, de-facto Chapter Master) and a barely three operational combat squads were spread across the deployments of the reserve companies. With the Chapter at a whole acting at less than three-quarters strength, casualty rates were gradually increasing in the face of relentless engagement with the opposing empire.

With the Casterboran sector finally broken and the Interregnum at an end, the companies could finally begin to properly resupply and consider elevations beyond company remits and support. The firedrakes, numbering only nine including the Regent scoured the warriors of the other companies for those who had proved themselves worthies of the company of Vulkan, as master combatants and exemplars of all venerated by the Promethean creed.

The five survivors of the fifth company's eighth squad had been on extended tour on the Casterboran capital world, working to marshal the citizenry prepared to fight for Terra. After coherent and consistent stratagems were established on the part of the humans, the Salamanders of the eighth squad began to deploy obfuscatory roles, ensuring that attempts to disrupt the schismatics could not destabilise the planet. These five Salamanders were promptly elevated to Firedrakes upon the re-assembly of the chapter. The tale of their defence against the schismastics, known in the time after as 'the Five Talons of the Night,' tells of their competent and timely re-purposing of scavenged enemy weapons and resources across the planet and the application of these; a pertinent lesson in pragmatism and patience despite the near collapse of Imperial rule and the approaching ruin of the Chapter. It remained a well-explored parable for several centuries after wards before eventual eclipse by more pertinent and illustrative accounts of other actions.

At the height of the Age of Apostasy, Er'gest Aruk of the 11th Firedrake was made a sole-survivor after his formation was effectively obliterated in a strike by Eldar forces on Varnen V, an act which also saw the Forge-Father of the day, Vulkan Epictetus, mortally wounded. After prolonged rumination and castigation, Aruk settled on a particular aspect of the Salamanders history with which he was barely familiar but had been made quite aware in his youth - the five elevated from 5th company's eighth squad half a millennium before: pragmatism in the face of collapse of all you knew. Finding solace in this symbolic focus, Aruk forged a legacy and reputation anew for his formation - the name of which became once more, albeit if only for a while, synonymous with actively seeking to test oneself in the most apocalyptic of situations.

After now many millennia, the name Talons of the Night remains in place as honoured for the 11th Firedrake squad, though it is rare that any outside the squad itself pay particular heed to the name save its curiosity within the titles of the Promethean creed. Even the philosophy and outlook guided by Aruk are now, approaching the cusp of M42, no longer paramount within the squad's school of thought, instead it serves only loosely as a group for those often described as more radically minded amidst Prometheans.

Discussion

As you can see, I not only (mostly) painted up my Assault Terminators, I also put a wee bit of thought into what I want them to be thematically. Their history is one which broadly accounts for them being a bit 'a-Salamandery', especially in name, but though it's not exactly well thought out, it strikes me as a reasonable way of framing their history. And also shows why I should not write when horrifically sleep deprived - sorry if anyone's eyes are melting or have recently melted.

So there we are, some Firedrakes. You'll notice the yellow. I'm hoping to revive a proper 'yellow marking' scheme for a handful of Marines, marking them as having been on a particular campaign together. Not sure what it'll be or who'll have been on it, but the black/yellow marking is a bit of a throwback to one of the oldest Salamanders paintschemes, so I'm happy to echo it if only slightly.

Gaius & CM: Very much appreciated. It's nice to know it's not all for nout.
Vovo: Mainly because I finally have plenty of time and no excuse not to, but I'm very tempted to haul them to BLL!. Much easier to carry safely and in a small package to Nottingham than my DE or Tau. If I can get them highlighted, washed and based, there might even be cool pictures of them...doing stuff!
Last edited by Xisor on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer