Wrath's Flesh Tearers

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: Wrath's Flesh Tearers *QUITE A LOT OF PICS*

Postby The Hillock » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:57 pm

Back once again. Fairly pic heavy update this time. Firstly, some pics of the current state of the army. Secondly, a couple of shots taken at a wargaming club.

Some context to this - since I got back into the game, I've only ever played against the same two people - Martin and Matt, both of whom I've known for years. Fun though this is, it would be nice to play other people occasionally. Martin has been attending a club for ages so I thought I'd go along and see what's what.

Honestly, I didn't really know what to make of the experience. A couple of the guys were about my age (I'm 30) but the massive variety of ages (the youngest can't be any older than about ten and the oldest looks to be in his fifties) and differences in levels of seriousness about the game (I really don't take it very seriously) means that the dynamic is hard to get hold of - an uncomfortable mix of self-censorship when the kids are around and self concious awareness that everyone else in the building (a youth hostel) is judging you horribly. That said, I had a fun game and will be going back again.

I'd be really interested to know if any of you guys (and gals) are club members, what sort of environment you play in, and whether you encounter any similar concerns or difficulties.

Anyway, the pics. This is everything I have (minus the land speeders) at this time. Note the Tactical squad I haven't bothered to repaint yet from their old Blood Angels colours. They're only ever used for objective sitting anyway, combat squadded and then left at the back.

The Death Company, Rasczak and one of the Razzies

The assault squad and Ancient Timor

The other Razzie, the Baal, and both Devastator squads

The scout squad. Admission time - I only bought these because I wanted sniper rifles, and then (after getting most of the way through building them) I realised that sniper scouts come in a different box. D'oh! Finished them anyway, and actually they have won me a game before by claiming an objective. Useful.

This is the army deployed for the game at the wargaming club I mentioned

The firing line. Note the meatshields standing in front of their Devastator squads. They both died VERY quickly.

And lastly a nice high level shot with Martin (the guy I normally play who introduced me to the club) looking glum as he sees just how many 'nids are in front of him (in the photo you can't see the genestealers infiltrated into the ruins)

EDIT: For anyone who cares, the game was Flesh Tearers, Space Wolves and generic (read: unpainted) space marines vs 'nids, 'crons and the Ravenwing (yeah, not exactly fluffy, but we had to balance the game somehow), 1500 points per player (so 4500 per side). We were on for a tonking from the very start as the Ravenwing decimated the marines at the far end, the 'nids made it into combat with the Wolves on the first turn of the game (yes, seriously) and the necrons hid behind a hill. I was making a decent go of annihilating the necrons and was just about to wheel the whole line round and go help Martin against the nids when the Doom of Malan'tai deep striked into my deployment zone and killed both Devastator squads in one turn with the Spirit Leech (or is it Soul Leech? Anyway, not important) ability, then proceeded to save every single wound my Land Speeders put on it for the rest of the game. End result - we got wooped.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Re: Wrath's Flesh Tearers

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:38 am

Nice looking stuff. I like the orange plasma coils on the Devastators; not a color I see often on plasma weapons (more often blue, red, green, or like my own, purple) but... It fits. Lament heat, etc. I like.

One of the places I've played is a kid-friendly environment, but it's the furthest out of the way of the three shops I've played at, and has the least competitive environment, so I don't make it out there too often.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby The Hillock » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:18 pm

Ahoy. Have made some investments this week, although no pics until they're all painted up nicely. Firstly an honour guard for Seth. The problem I've been having is that the assault troops all have jump packs (as do the Death Company) and the tactical squad's job is to camp objectives, so Seth ends up either footslogging his way across the battlefield on his own and getting shot to death or jumping in a Razorback, storming across the battlefield, disembarking but not being able to assault right away and getting shot to death. Either way, not an effective use of a close combat monster.

The honour guard solves part of this problem simply by being a meat shield for the chapter master - five more wounds, effectively. It also helps that (mildly tooled up as they are) they provide some useful cc punch to add to his own - most importantly, one of them has a powerfist to help with those pesky AV14 monster tanks (Monoliths, Land Raiders etc).

However, this now gives me six guys to get into combat and while they will keep Seth alive longer the same core issue remains - hence, Stormraven! As an added bonus, this also gives me more assault cannons. Current assault cannon count in my army is six - four twin linked (Baal, 2 x Razzie, Stormraven) and two single (landspeeders).

Pics soon

Hillock's terrain thread
The Hillock

Postby The Hillock » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Here's a shot of everything I have at the moment. Next - drop pods, and many of them.

EDIT: Once again the pic is too big for the page, so to see all of it you'll need to clicky through to Photobucket.

Hillock's terrain thread
The Hillock

Postby The Hillock » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:39 pm

So, updates. As per usual I haven't been winning many (read: any) games recently, but they have been much closer than normal. Ah, the perils of playing a themed list against math-hammer players with ultra-competitive armies. Still, getting better.

Recent additions - Terminators. Two squads of tactical Terminators, to be precise - I was only going to get one but they were on offer at my FLGS so I thought what the hell? Almost finished painting them, just some highlights to go. Also a Librarian Dreadnought (yes, Blood Angels codex has that - mental or what?). I've used one of the swords from the Daemon Prince box to try and custom it up a bit instead of the halberd that comes out of the box, but the sword is a bit bigger than I'd expected and doesn't look great - still, it's different, and so it stays.

Pics when I get round to it. I've got a plan to go through and take decent quality pics of all of my units starting at the beginning - when I've done it I'll post them up on here.

Hillock's terrain thread
The Hillock

Postby The Hillock » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:30 pm

Mostly prompted by Rev asking about pics, I thought I'd post an update. Not much has changed except the addition of a third dreadnought - this time, a Furioso Librarian. I've done a bit of mod work swapping the standard force weapon for a sword I nabbed from the Daemon Prince kit.

My basic plan is to properly re-do all the photos of my army and post them here. Soon.

Soon-ish, anyway.

Hillock's terrain thread
The Hillock

Postby revelation » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:24 pm

Ok I remember now.

That's a great army. I give you lots of credit for being able to paint so many miniatures and managing to keep them all at a pretty solid level of quality. I also like the choice of chapter.

Personally for me, even painting one squad seems like such a massive undertaking. I'm sure it gets easier and faster as you do it more often.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing and keep the updates coming. Again, I wish more people would share their minis on here. I recall Xisor, Ath, and maybe LL sharing theirs? I'm sure I'm missing someone. The more the merrier!
revelation

Postby Xisor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:46 pm

Be careful what you wish for...! ;)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby revelation » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Xisor wrote:Be careful what you wish for...! ;)

Lol...You and your hippy Salamanders! ;) :)
revelation

Postby Xisor » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Always like the look of a good Flesh Tearer's force, and this is no exception. They look a lot more subdued than many Marine forces, a lot more... coherent too.

I always imagined they'd be a laugh riot to play, too.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:20 pm

revelation wrote:I recall Xisor, Ath, and maybe LL sharing theirs? I'm sure I'm missing someone.

Oh, maybe. I don't know. Just... somebody, that's all. I'm not hurt or offended, no.

*sniffles*

*ahem* Another Furioso? Ooh. Blenderfists? (can't wait for a new BA codex to nerf the "endless Blenderfists of Blending +2")
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby revelation » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:54 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:
revelation wrote:I recall Xisor, Ath, and maybe LL sharing theirs? I'm sure I'm missing someone.

Oh, maybe. I don't know. Just... somebody, that's all. I'm not hurt or offended, no.

*sniffles*

*ahem* Another Furioso? Ooh. Blenderfists? (can't wait for a new BA codex to nerf the "endless Blenderfists of Blending +2")

Ugh, sorry Mossy. :? :oops: How could I miss your Chaos army thread? Massive brain fart moment. It's by far the most thorough army thread on the forums.
revelation

Postby revelation » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:57 pm

revelation wrote:
Xisor wrote:Be careful what you wish for...! ;)

Lol...You and your hippy Salamanders! ;) :)

You're just going to take that comment Xis? No comeback? I'm disappointed...
revelation

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:36 am

revelation wrote:Ugh, sorry Mossy. :? :oops: How could I miss your Chaos army thread? Massive brain fart moment. It's by far the most thorough army thread on the forums.

Don't beat yourself up over it. It'll get bumped soon enough when I post up another dump of photos.
Mossy Toes

Postby The Hillock » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:
revelation wrote:Ugh, sorry Mossy. :? :oops: How could I miss your Chaos army thread? Massive brain fart moment. It's by far the most thorough army thread on the forums.

Don't beat yourself up over it. It'll get bumped soon enough when I post up another dump of photos.

Take your time. The longer you take the less you make me look bad ;)

Hillock's terrain thread
The Hillock

Postby The Hillock » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:27 pm

So, it's been a little while since I've posted anything to do with my Tearers. I can fully understand that this has left you all shaking with anticipation and / or withdrawal symptoms. Well, the wait goes on, but not for much longer as I've basically bankrupted myself on the new Blood Angel releases in the last couple of weeks.

My photobucket account is getting pretty full so I'm going to remove all the old photos earlier in this thread, and re-photograph the whole army in what will hopefully be a better fashion. This will also give me the opportunity to include the various new bits I've gained.

But the point of this post is a question - have any of you seen any of the new Blood Angel releases? What are your thoughts?

Hillock's terrain thread
The Hillock

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:23 am

The 32mm bases are an interesting change-up. I wonder how many years it'll be until most players' marine armies are based on such? I know that I for one am in no rush to rebase my 100+ minis who qualify for the swap...
Mossy Toes

Postby The Hillock » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:35 pm

It's not like the old bases suddenly become illegal - I'm not planning to rebase by Tactical marines at all. I'll probably do the Assault marines, just because the arms stick out a long way over the base at the moment and they're a bit top heavy. However that can also wait a fair while.

Hillock's terrain thread
The Hillock

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer