Hillock's terrain and such - pic heavy

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: Hillock's terrain and such - pic heavy

Postby The Hillock » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Hello once more.

You may remember, in an earlier post, this:

In the mean time, here's a teaser for what I'm working on now. Peace out y'all.

So, I decided I needed more city-like terrain. I can easily furnish a normal battlefield but I don't have much in the way of city structures. I've decided my city will be centred around a statue (probably the one that comes in the Honoured Imperium boxset), but it needed a little more... substance? Yeah, substance.

So, I had some 6mm foam card, which I cut into circles using dinner plates, cereal bowls and such as templates. I then wrapped each circle in newspaper and pva, and stuck them together to make a plinth of sorts using PVA and some heavy books (the Heresy set from Forge World, if anyone cares) to weigh them down.

Having sprayed it with my ubiquitous Humbrol gray acrylic paint, I then grabbed a pencil and a ruler and started drawing on it. The squares are roughly 1cm wide, although the lines are intentionally not perfectly straight. This took AGES. I then went over each of the lines with a fine brush and some dark brown paint (GW Dryad Bark, as you can see in the pic).

The next step was to add highlights - I went over the edges of the steps with GW Dawnstone, but that didn't really show up as it's barely any lighter than the spray. Then, using GW Skull White, I added loads of highlights to the insides of the brown lines - to show where each paving stone had been worn away. I also filled in some of the squares with the brown to try to get an effect of missing slabs. A bit of GW Typhus Corrosion went between each step to show the accumulation of dirt over time.

Lastly I used the handle of a brush to push down in some areas where I'd painted brown, and then filled those dimples with green flock. Some handy sticky-backed tufts (they're from Army Painter) stuck between some of the steps show additional overgrowth.

I'm fairly chuffed with this - now all I've got to do is get (and paint up) a statue to go in the middle.

cheers all
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby revelation » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:40 pm

Very nice. You've done a great job at making that grid pattern look very natural with the broken tiles and white bits here and there.

Great job!
revelation

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:44 am

I approve of any terrain feature that can hand wave an easy base-width set of terraces, rather than model-tipping slopes everywhere...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby The Hillock » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks Rev. It was far more effort than I thought it would be - if I'd known, I might not have bothered ;)

Mossy Toes wrote:I approve of any terrain feature that can hand wave an easy base-width set of terraces, rather than model-tipping slopes everywhere...

Annoyingly the steps are a bit too narrow for a Terminator-size base, but normal bases fit nicely. This was also a requirement of the hill when I made that - an actual sloping hill with no flat space wouldn't work.

This might be the last bit of terrain for a while - gotta focus on the Tearers for a bit.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer