Color woes

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Color woes

Postby Fenris » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:48 am

I had finally found a way to paint my stuff.

A pretty basic way,but it worked.

Then came contrast.And with that GW decided to can the averland spray that was at the base of my "a 5 years old could do it better" system for no reason that human mind can comprehend.

And my first test with the contrast yellow have been....Well,shit.

So now i'm once again stuck at "i'll leave them plastic grey".Joy.

Btw,i know this thread is pretty much pointless,i just need to vent.
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Re: Color woes

Postby Fenris » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:59 pm

So,the above pushed me into an airbrush,after 20 and more years of avoiding it

This was the first test at basecoating Averland (over Vallejo grey primer).

Could have gone better (there are a ton of little errors here and there that don't show up thanks to my crappy camera) but at the same time it's better than how i'd expect it to go
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Rob P » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:19 am

Looks like a good first crack.

What's the plan with the dreadnought from here?

---

On the airbrush front, what brush did you get? I'm part way through buying one now.

Also what are you doing to thin paints?
Rob P

Postby Fenris » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:26 am

Rob P wrote:Looks like a good first crack.

What's the plan with the dreadnought from here?

I'm probably going to keep that coat as the main color,douse it in cassandora yellow to "orangize" it a bit more and then work on from there with brushes (i dont have the control to go with the airbrush without throwing color everywhere it shouldnt be yet, and with yellow as a base it's better to avoid having to do massive corrections)

On the airbrush front, what brush did you get? I'm part way through buying one now.

Also what are you doing to thin paints?

Got this one. It's a bit pricy as a starter (compared to the cheaper chinese ones you can find around) but i've seen it recommended in quite a few places

For the paints,i got a pot of Vallejo airbrush thinner and i'm just mixing it in with both Vallejo and Citadel colors.Still working on how much to throw in, this time for example i probably overdid it
-
Fenris

Postby Rob P » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:38 pm

Nice! What chapter?

Probably going for a Badger myself, but plan to use similar paints etc so I'm sure we'll swap tips of what to do and not to do!
Rob P

Postby Xisor » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:44 pm

I've had "luck" using Averland - > Yriel and then metaphorically dipping it in Nuln Oil.

Makes it very grimy, but also keeps it a "grimbright" yellow. Dingy, but as if it was proper "industrial yellow" dull down, rather than really clean, cartoon-bright yellow.

I imagine a slightly more skilled painter could get away with a touch of Yriel for highlighting an Averland base, and some Cassandora/Nuln to give quick depth on the recesses.

The Contrast Yellow has only so far looked good over on wraithbone, for me, though it happily pools a warm orange rather than agony-bright yellow. :lol:
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Fenris » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:28 pm

Rob P wrote:Nice! What chapter?

As usual,Imperial fists

The Contrast Yellow has only so far looked good over on wraithbone, for me, though it happily pools a warm orange rather than agony-bright yellow.

Sadly contrast yellow is made for people that are already good with a brush,else you end with an orange camouflage pattern >_>
-
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:27 pm

So,i went on and di the kheres arms on the dreddy with brushes.Still have to add the heat stain to the barrels but so far i'm mostly ok with it.

Then i tried to airbush-primer a few intercessor...The first one was perfect,the other 2 a disaster.The kind of disaster that happens when you adjust the psi on the compressor midway but forget to lock the setting valve down,ending to spray stuff with sub-10psi :lol:
-
Fenris

Postby Rob P » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Get some pics up of the successes and failures!

I've ordered my brush just now - should come just before or after weekend.

I've been spending the evening putting my citadel paints into dropper bottles. So far, so good - but only 5 done!
Rob P

Postby Fenris » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:33 pm

I will in the weekend,a bit of a busy work week :P
-
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:50 pm

As i said,didn't have much time (/strenght left) to dedicate to it last week,and i'm not sure if i'll find some tomorrow.But still...

Basecoated intercessors.

The left one is the worst one.It has both areas where the yellow pooled too much (cant really see it from the photo but half the aquila has lost the "feathers" details) and others where the yellow just washed away showing the primer

The middle one seemed a lot worse "fresh" but once it fully dried it's a bit better.It still has areas where the primers shows,so either i fix it with brushes or it needs to be redone too

The right one is the good one.
The kheres arm.including a pass of cassandora yellow to turn the base a bit more golden.I still need to (try to) heat stain the metal.So far is not as good as i hoped to make it but still workable

And finally the primed aggressors.

Originals (=>larger images) https://imgur.com/a/DdhbbXC there
-
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:43 pm

Still no time to bring out the airbrush so i kept working on the conteptor.

Started inking the kheres (hoped to finish it in one pass but seems i'll need for it to dry fully and see how it turns out before completing it) and went on to do the fist (using the air version of abbadon black with brushes + drybrush of runefang steel)

For something i did in a semi-rush it turned out better than expected

P.s: sometimes,every 20 full moons or something like that,my phones manages to snap a decent photo

P.p.s: the fist would have been a perfect thing to airbrush if it was separate from the arm (like in the FW contemptor).It being a single piece with the arm in the GW plastic makes it something i'm still not ready to do
-
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:20 pm

-
Fenris

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer