RiaR : A suggestion

The Bolthole's monthly 1,000 word story competition.

Re: RiaR : A suggestion

Postby Stuart000X » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:44 pm

The word count, is there a 10% rule, or is that the limit?
Stuart000X

Postby J D Dunsany » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:55 pm

The new word count is an indication that the 10% rule has been replaced by a 15% rule, Stu. The target word count is still 1,000 words, but now there's a 15% leeway either way.

Hope that's clear.

Regards,

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Stuart000X » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:19 am

I have made "A" story for the competition. I like this pre-warning of what the theme of the next competition is going to be, it gives me time to work on a story prior to the competition, and because i can't post it, i'm forced to look at it again and again to make sure everything's perfect.
Stuart000X

Postby J D Dunsany » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:52 am

That is exactly the point, Stu. Glad to see it's doing its job. :D The posting thread will most likely be open on Tuesday night. Not long to wait now.

Regards,

JDD
J D Dunsany

Postby Pyroriffic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 am

JDD

Do you want me to set up a sub-forum within Competitions and Challenges for RiaR? I think it's that popular and well known that it deserves it...
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby J D Dunsany » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:33 am

Pyroriffic wrote:JDD

Do you want me to set up a sub-forum withing Competitions and Challenges for RiaR? I think it's that popular and well known that it deserves it...

That would be lovely, pyro. Be my guest!

:D

JDD
J D Dunsany

Postby Jelboy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:28 pm

I must admit I looked at the last RIAR and was scared off, there was just too much to read. Emperor freeze me, but I'll never think Herr Dunn's job of hitting the 800 submission 'open window' pile easy now. It occurred to me to either start reading RIAR earlier and more frequently or to email someone and ask whether the entries could be limited. So... I'm glad someone has beat me to it ;)

I like the 'place as many entries as you like, but nominate one' idea.

I also like '2 entries at most per a person'.

Either approach would help enormously.
Jelboy

Postby Stuart000X » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:50 pm

I like the format of been given prior knowledge of what the next competition's theme is. I personally like to think that i am at my best when i am compelled to write a story that forces me to re-read it more than once, and to make the alterations. This setup will indeed force me to focus all my attentions and efforts into making one brilliant story than just a handful of mediocre stories.
Stuart000X

Postby Pyroriffic » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:51 pm

Might I throw in a further suggestion?

All people who enter a piece should be obliged to vote. If they don't, then any votes they receive should be discounted.

The idea of the Bolthole is all about reciprocal advice and comment. It's very well to post up a story, but you should take the time and effort to comment on other people's work as well.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Stuart000X » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:00 pm

Pyroriffic wrote:Might I throw in a further suggestion?

All people who enter a piece should be obliged to vote. If they don't, then any votes they receive should be discounted.

The idea of the Bolthole is all about reciprocal advice and comment. It's very well to post up a story, but you should take the time and effort to comment on other people's work as well.

I like that idea.
Stuart000X

Postby Atlantic » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:32 am

I don't believe you should be forced to vote. Frankly, I did not want to vote. I don't feel comfortable ranking the writing of others in such a fashion. In the last contest there were about 8 stories of very similar quality. I understand it is a contest and all that, but I believe the beauty of RIAR is the opportunity for feedback as opposed to competition.

I do agree that if you enter the contest you ought to be obligated to read and provide feedback on the other entries.
Opportunity is missed by most people, because it wears overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
Atlantic

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:21 am

I always try to vote even if I don't write an entry, but that's hardly a basis on which to recommend a course of action. I do think that voluntary voting is better than imposed voting, but I haven't an idea as to what we could do to give the process incentive.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Read in a Rush