General Whf Lore Q&A

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: General Whf Lore Q&A

Postby Rob P » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:26 am

Cool thanks. That all makes sense.
Rob P

Postby Balhaar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:53 am

sam vimes wrote:need an answer to a most important question me and vinny can't decide on who'd drink the other under the table a space wolf or a dwarf?

That depends on who you asked afterwards. I could not imagine any of those two giving the other credit for being the victor.
My debut novel 'Life Eternal' is due out on august 1st 2011. Search 'Aaron J Booth' on facebook to see the cover art.
Balhaar

Postby Xisor » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:13 pm

Balhaar wrote:
sam vimes wrote:need an answer to a most important question me and vinny can't decide on who'd drink the other under the table a space wolf or a dwarf?

That depends on who you asked afterwards. I could not imagine any of those two giving the other credit for being the victor.

If the dwarf mentions it, he won. If he's quiet, he lost. (Or hungover.)

My inclination was first Space Wolf, as they've got all sorts of spare organs; dwarfs at least get drunk on a regular basis. I'd wager they can out-drink most Blood Claws, but broadly the Wolf wins. Dwarfs beat Fenrisians though, that's surely a hgiven.

Anyway. I like the Fantasy slant that Dwarfs simply *could* do it. It's... endearing.

An intriguing question would be who comatoses first in a drinking competition: Ogre, Dwarf or Halfling?
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Athelassan » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:04 pm

VictorK wrote:
They were. I can't remember the exact source, but all three of the major 'good' races, the HE, Slann, and Dwarfs were fighting their own battles that each contributed to the success of the other.

Ayup. In particular, the Slann bore the brunt of the early attacks from the daemons, because they were the most powerful and the daemons needed to bring them down before they could make any real progress.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Eroldren » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Is there any recent BL novels that feature Kislev and its people predominantly other than the rulebooks? The only big one I've seen was "Swords of the Empire" by Dan Abnett in the anthology under the same name. (Curiously in all six stories, Kislevites are mentioned or featured in some degree. But not quite enough detail (bar from Dan's story) to grasp that particular setting fully.)

Just debating on the notion to whether or not doing something Kislevite for the next Submission Window.
"Behind our efforts, let there be found our efforts."
Eroldren

Postby Athelassan » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 pm

There aren't many, and I can't think of any recent ones. If you go back a bit there are a couple. Riders of the Dead, obviously (collected in Thunder and Steel; also Star of Erengrad (not set entirely in Kislev, but Kislev features prominently, as you'd expect); Beastslayer is really quite old now and set in a rather different version of Kislev, but close enough. The Claws of Chaos has some Kislev action in it, but not a lot.

There are a few short stories floating around the place too, but I can't remember where to find any of them. Tales of the Old World might be a start.

If you don't mind paying a little extra, the pdf of the WFRP2 sourcebook Realm of the Ice Queen is available from DriveThruRPG (currently $18US) and might be released as a PoD in the future. This is pretty much the most detailed book on Kislev ever produced and, although a few years old now, hasn't to my knowledge been contradicted (although the timeline's been rolled back a little) so that might be worth looking into.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:18 am

The second Ulrika novel by Nathan Long, Bloodforged, is set all in Kislev.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:16 am

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Graham McNeill's The Ambassador Chronicles, seeing as that duology is entirely set in Kislev. Though not having my copy at hand right now, who knows, Ath might have mentioned one of the 2 books that makes it up without my remembering; I forget their exact names, having only encountered the omnibus.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:00 am

I knew Kislev featured but I've not read the books so didn't feel able to mention them encase McNeil did something wrong.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Athelassan » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:04 am

I confess I completely forgot about The Ambassador. That's what it gets for having been years since I read it and not right in front of me. Doh.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Eroldren » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:11 am

Oh man, thanks Ath and everybody else! Apparently there is indeed bit more stuff on Kislev than what I first imagined. :D
"Behind our efforts, let there be found our efforts."
Eroldren

Postby Words_of_Truth » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:06 pm

Hey I got the event only skin wolf from forgeworld during gamesday and I've been thinking of using it for an army, so I started thinking of ways to include it and came across some ideas on the net such as werewolves in an undead army and was wondering if anyone had any lore behind this idea or any other suggestions for it's use?
Words_of_Truth

Postby Athelassan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:27 pm

I love the Skin Wolves, and also have the event only model (I'm saving for the others). There are a few types of werewolf in WHF background, all of which are slightly different. There are the Children of Ulric, who appear to be savage werewolves of a traditional type who live in the forests of the Empire - although they're not particularly benign, they're not (apparently) allies of Chaos either. Chaos has a few versions of its own, like the ulfwerenar, and the Skin Wolves themselves. The von Carsteins, being traditional "Hammer" vampires, have a vague werewolf connection and in former editions (possibly this one) could have the ability to shapechange into wolves. Finally of course there's the Varghulf, which is basically a werewolf in disguise. In Blood Bowl, werewolves play for Undead (and Norse) teams, but BB is obviously a slightly different word from WHF.

So you could pick one of the above and run with it, or make up your own justification. There's plenty of room for it.

Skin Wolves themselves are available to several armies as bound monsters, under the rules in Monstrous Arcanum.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Words_of_Truth » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:47 pm

Hmm ok, I'm thinking of using it as a Varghulf in a very weird monster like von carstein army with undead ogres, is the skin wolf model big enough for a Varghulf?
Words_of_Truth

Postby Athelassan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:32 am

To be honest with you, I'm not sure. The Varghulf comes on a 50mm base and I think but can't be certain that the Skinwolves are 40mm, so if you're planning on using it as a Varghulf you might want to put it on a bigger base (or construct the basing in such a way that it fits onto a 50mm base). Although, to be honest, a lot of people won't care too much, and the sort of person who'll get really militant about it would probably complain about the model profile not being the same size or whatever, so I wouldn't worry about it excessively.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby sam vimes » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Here's one for you why can't the girly high elfs or the cuddly druchi wear full plate in TT but are often depicted in media wearing full plate?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:00 pm

sam vimes wrote:Here's one for you why can't the girly high elfs or the cuddly druchi wear full plate in TT but are often depicted in media wearing full plate?

Genre stereotypes. Bikini armour is the eternal fashion.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby VictorK » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:29 am

Balance, mostly. Elves get to be fast and skilled and men and dwarfs get full plate.

Why does Chaos get to be fast, skilled, and have full plate?

Haha did I say the b-word out loud?
"The gods are not all powerful, they cannot erase the past." -Agathon
VictorK

Postby SIngemeister » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:42 am

Because there aren't that many of them in comparison.
SIngemeister

Postby LordLucan » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:14 am

VictorK wrote:Balance, mostly. Elves get to be fast and skilled and men and dwarfs get full plate.

The Black Guard and the executioners get fairly good armour iirc, likewise the swordsmen of Loec (not sure if theya re from Loec. Might be wrong. Ath?)
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer