The Age of Dusk [60K] [SECTION 54 IS UP!]

Got some current fan fiction? 40k, WFB, Age of Sigmar and all other fiction is to be found here.

Re: The Age of Dusk [60K] [SECTION 39 (pt2) up!]

Postby LordLucan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:52 am

Alcatur: The majority of those questions will be answered in the upcoming section.

SIngemeister: Zoats, squats, fishmen, cat people (possible origin for the Vorlic-Taar? ;) ) and beastmen are in the 6th edition rulebook. Also, zoats are hive fleet Collossus in my mind, so technically they're pretty much dead by 60K.

Mortarion's ideals are not wholly forgotten; remember that he was the one who sent the visions to Imogen, who sent Schaeffer and Kage to save crolomere.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Chh » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:54 pm

Here's one that has started to bug me: section 21 of Shape has a psyker screaming "Nex! Noktor Tran!" aboard the Tersis

We have a pretty good idea about the Nex, but "Noktor Tran" eludes me. Have I missed something, or is it yet to be revealed?
Currently writing: http://www.thebolthole.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2138 (Sanguinian Heresy)

Please read some of it, and give feedback. Please?
Chh

Postby Sipahi Commando » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:19 am

LL, did you plan the post-40k universe from the start, or are you making this up as you go along?
Sipahi Commando

Postby LordLucan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:01 pm

I was making up 50K on the spot, but since then, I've been planning 60K for a long while. Mos tof the stuff I reveal tends to have had a lot of build-up prior to me revealing their purpose. For instanc,e Khaine's rise was set up throughout several parts. Other stuff that was pre-planned:

The 'Walking on God's Skin' parts definitely.

The 'Only good Man' prophecy.

Abaddon's breakdown.

The Nex's purpose/true nature (which has alreayd been partially revealed).

The Fall of Baal, and the eventual rise of the groevians.

Also, what the Old ones did, what the C'tan are after, and what (and where) the Well of Eternity is; also devised almost a year ago.

Ahriman's fate too, and Lorgar's Second Word.

I only tend to improvise minor details (like, exactly how the Commanderies are organised and named) and additional battles, as I'm writing. For instance, at the battle of Valhalla, I didn't know how the Valhallans were going to survive against the Oblivionites until a few seconds before I wrote the 'No, you are mistaken, heretics. The Flesh IS Weak' scene with the Iron Hands.

However, generally, I have rafts of notes about how the story develops on a large, galaxy-changing scale.

The current part, for instance, is a culmination of many plot threads coming together (hopefully successfully ;) ).
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby JJvagnar » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:46 pm

In other words, the fates of all the inhabitants of the world of 'the age of dusk' are in the hands of a fickle God who decides on whether entire systems live or die on a whim. Wow, GrimDark.
JJvagnar

Postby Darth Cheesecake » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:33 pm

So I'm pumped for the ending and all.

But just this once I'd actually like the "good guys" to come out ahead.

It doesn't have to be easy hell I'm fine with 98% of the galactic population being dead and most of the remaining 2% will be forever scarred by what they did to achieve victory.

As long as at least 2 of the named "good guys" make it.

I'm pulling for Vulkan because he's a pretty cool guy.

Go Imperium Pentus, Revelation, Maybe the Khork, and whatever is left of the Eldar and Tau! *waves flag*
"malum nunquam dormitat"
Darth Cheesecake

Postby SIngemeister » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:17 pm

How exactly do the Krork treat the former inhabitants of the worlds they take over?
Are beastmen actually accepted in the Imperium Pentus?
SIngemeister

Postby LordLucan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:42 pm

Vulkan and his brothers are pretty chill with regards beastmen (the fires beasts don't much like them, but the fire beasts don't much like anyone).

The War of the Krork take over planets, and force the planet's war factories to build mahcines and vehicles based upon the Krork Mechanics'. Technically,t he planets are enslaved by them, but the Krork are solely focussed upon war. Once a planet is subdued and is essentially peaceful, they don't care how the planet functions. They are war; peace is not their concern. However, they will fight anyone who invades their serf planets, because an invasion creates war, and the Krork are drawn to war in all its forms.

To fight and to win is all the Krork care about. Ironically, this makes them rather peaceful when nobody fights them. They aren't like orks, who create their own wars to justify their existence.

Cheesecake: It really depends on how you definite 'make it'. I'm sure some will survive though.
LordLucan

Postby JJvagnar » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:00 pm

Are we ever going to find out what happened to the loyalist Luna Wolves and the those American soldiers who marched with the Krork? Ands are the Krork forcing them to fight or what?
JJvagnar

Postby LordLucan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:51 pm

JJvagnar wrote:Are we ever going to find out what happened to the loyalist Luna Wolves and the those American soldiers who marched with the Krork? Ands are the Krork forcing them to fight or what?

The Luna Wolves yes. The pre-strife human warrior tribesmen? Probably not. I leave this setting open to other writers to fill in the blanks remember. It isn't supposed to be an exhaustive account of every single battle ever fought in 60K.
LordLucan

Postby SIngemeister » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:55 am

As a general rule, what is your policy vis a vis 'filling in the blanks'?
SIngemeister

Postby zolohunter » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:00 am

Although, its been a while since you posted a new section on this great masterpiece of yours. I still have this sense of excitement for the next section. :D
zolohunter

Postby LordLucan » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:22 pm

SIngemeister wrote:As a general rule, what is your policy vis a vis 'filling in the blanks'?

If someone has a cool idea for a story in the setting, write it. That's how the other 60K fanfics on this site started up. Sons of Corax, the Fire Beasts, the Sons of Thunder, the Fatemakers and the Eridani records were all devised by my readers creating sometihng int he setting of their own accord.
LordLucan

Postby TheManWithaPlan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:11 am

So what is the Khaine construct here? I know he's the eldar god of war and murder, but where does that fit in this setting? Is he a thing of the warp, perhaps even a new Chaos god? How is he any different from Khorne in that both demand blood and slaughter? And what happened to the Avatars now that he's returned?
TheManWithaPlan

Postby SIngemeister » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:44 am

Do you have any plans regarding Malan'tai?
SIngemeister

Postby LordLucan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:36 pm

SIngemeister: I haven't any plans for malan'tai as of yet.

Ok, Khaela mensha Khaine is a complex warp entity in this setting (and indeed in 40K itself). But I think I should explain it from the start: [This info is taken from the eldar codex, the necron codex, xenology, liber chaotica, and embellished with my own ideas.]

(EDIT: This simple post has grown into a whole huge flashback section. Blimey. Didn't expect to be writing a history of the eldar empire...)

During the war in heaven, the old ones created the young races to help them fight the Necrons and the C'tan. However, to begn with, the young races were not sufficiently advanced enough technologically to help the Old Ones militarily. However, the old ones could make use of their creations' vast psychic potentials.

They did this by manipulating the mythologies of their psychic children. The Old Ones had these races create vastly powerful warp entities from the very stuff of the warp itself, to use as weapons in the war in heaven (think of these warp entities as being many time smore powerful than a daemon prince, but completely unaligned to any chaos power, as chaos hadn't risen from the deep warp yet at that point in history). But over the millions of years of the war in heaven, these warp entities began to be worshipped by the growing alien civilisations, which not only empowered the warp entities but also gave them identities. They began to look just like the gods of the young races' mythologies.

These warp entities could only be conjured into battle by certain powerful psyker heroes from the young races. Eldanesh was one of these super-psykers (likely having psychic powers comparable to the pre-golden throne emperor).

Khaine was the second strongest warp entity, and was initially a valiant warrior god, who led the young races into battle against the Yngir and the mirror devils. But during a climatic battle with Aza'gorod the Nightbringer, he burst the necrodemris of the C'tan, and the necrodermis bonded with the warp entity. This anchored a portion of Khaine's power in realspace, but also started to twist the warp entity in unforeseen ways.

At the climax of the war in heaven, the old one civilisation seems to collapse, as tides of enslavers and various other warp predators and proto-daemons* surged fromt he warp to knacker up everything. The eldar and the young races managed to protect themselves, and weather the nightmarish storm. They were the most technologically advanced of the surviving young races, and decided to enact a little payback on the necorns, who were weakened frm their own little civil war between C'tan and necron. But the necrons seemed to give up and retreat to their hidden tomb worlds.

The eldar then declared themselves the heirs of the old one empire, and conquered the other young races. Khaine was at the forefront of these wars too, but the warp was making him more and more unstable; he was becomign sometihng of a mad berserker. This was because the infant god Khorne was rising fromt he deep warp, drawn by the bloodshed and carnage of the wars in heaven. The Khaine in the warp was becoming Khorne, while the living-metal clad Khaine was being driven mad by its influence. he eventually turned on the eldar, and murdered the Eldar Emperor Eldanesh. This new war created a war between eldar, as the xenarch (the eldar allied to Khaine) fought the Asur (Asuryan's adherents, the Imperial Eldar). But eventually, Khaine was brought under control*, and the emprie was reunited. The rest of the gods no longer manifested in reality (the eldar myths said Asuryan decreed it, but it is more likely the new Eldar Emperor made it illegal to summon the gods, who were essentially WMDs. Either that, or all the old 'god-caller' eldar, like Ulthanesh and Eldanesh were gone, so the eldar simply lost the ability to summon them).

Khorne and Nurgle and tzeentch took they final forms in the medieva period, and Khaine only survived khorne's rise due to being anchored to reality by the living metal

Khaine was kept under control y the eldar empire, and for a million years they prospered. Then the fall happened. The eldar gods and msot of the eldar race were devoured/absorbed by She who thirsts, with only three exceptions. Isha did not bond with slannesh, as nurgle managed to absorb her first. Cegorach, who seeme dto come from nowhere, fled to/bonded the webway with his harlequins. Khaine was fought over by slannesh and khorne, who both tried to absorb him. This caused Khaine to be shattered. His warp self became par tof khorne, and his realspace self was shattered into many avatars, which the craftworlders took away to store.

Fastforwards to 60K, and the Incubi steal the various avatars, and melt them down in a planetary mantle, as a war goes on above, fuelling his being with soul energies, and bonding the avatar fragments together like some sor tof psychic cement. When he finally rises, Khaela Mensha Khaine is risen again, to finish the war he started millions of years ago. The galaxy must be conquered, the other gods defeated, and the eldar must be exterminated and the other young races must be brought to heel.

*I won't go into any more detail on this point, but consider that the aspect temples were founded by the Phoenix Lords; warriors who combined the aspects of Asuryan, with the aspects of Khaine. We can see this as a kind of 'truce' between the two factions of the eldar. The Phoenix Lords brought the xenarch's rampaging bloodlust under control, just as Asuryan subdued Khaine.)
LordLucan

Postby Aragus » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Lucan could you explain what the Well of Eternity is? Source of magical power just like in Warcraft or?
Aragus

Postby Chh » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Aragus wrote:Lucan could you explain what the Well of Eternity is? Source of magical power just like in Warcraft or?

Place in the Warp where all of time and space springs from.

Not LL, but the more we answer each others' questions, the sooner the next section is out (maybe)

P.S. Please, minimal time travel?
Currently writing: http://www.thebolthole.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2138 (Sanguinian Heresy)

Please read some of it, and give feedback. Please?
Chh

Postby TheManWithaPlan » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Ah I see, so he is less a god and more a construct. Thanks for the detailed answer!
TheManWithaPlan

Postby Woolie Wool » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:22 am

I'm another one of those people who was introduced to The Age of Dusk through TVTropes (in a passing reference in another page on the site), but I had already found The Shape of the Nightmare to Come earlier this year through some other means that I forgot.

I must say this is the best-written fiction, fan or otherwise, I've read for the 40k universe. I tried describing it to someone else but I couldn't find words to describe what the story is like without diminishing how supremely bizarre it is. I tried describing the Nex to someone not familiar with 40k thus:

think of Instrumentality [from Evangelion]. Then think of Instrumentality of an entire universe in a setting where a thousand planets and a trillion people are a drop in the bucket; not just the people living, but all the people who have ever lived. Then make every single one of those merged souls completely and utterly Ax Crazy. Then make the resulting abomination God.

Does anyone live a normal and pleasant life in this setting? In the original 40k setting there are a lot of miserable places in the galaxy, but a lot of places where life is relatively safe and comfortable if you don't piss off the Inquisition or possess any psychic powers.

I saw in one post you had mentioned a "mental soundtrack" for this setting, but oddly enough the song I found most appropriate to listen to when reading this is "Ritual (Nous Sommes du Soleil)" by Yes. It's not really a gloomy song by any means but there's a sense of momentous, inexorable change and impending end to it that fits.

For 50k, it was "The Demise of History" by Sabbat, which makes up for the lack of gloom in the Yes song threefold.

EDIT: Oh my god, the lyrics of that Sabbat song are PERFECT for this whole scenario. They seemingly match everything:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sa ... =4575#4575
Woolie Wool

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Fan Fiction