What are you playing?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby Ballistichimp » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:32 pm

I think people are unnecessarily harsh on Space Marine.

It's certainly not terribly cerebral but, lets face it, a game about Space Marines was never going to be. It was going to be about shooting things and cleaving things and blowing things up. Large scale actions are already well depicted in Dawn of War so it was nice to have a real up close and personal lunge in to the grim darkness of the far future.

there are too few moves, 3 at the most if I remember correctly, all you do is bash the mouse button around with a different weapon which in the grim universe of the 41st millenium wouldn't get Titus to his first decade, let alone his second century. The finishing moves are even worse, one weapon has one finishing move, the only difference depends on the opponent.

Mmmm, I disagree. The Thunder-hammer (which I liked while wearing the jump pack, but none of the rest of the time) only has a single finisher (contextual based on the enemy), but the chainsword and power axe had at least a few each. Sure, it's not exactly an extensive library of destructive finishers, but then this is a linear shoot 'em up, not Mortal Kombat and they served largely just to re-energise your beleaguered Marine.

As for the flow of combat, comparing it to DMC4 is ... odd.

If Titus punched an orc thirty feet into the air before jumping after him to perform some sort of outrageous aerial juggle I probably would have killed the next THQ rep I met. Basic combos are basic combos, they serve the purpose - to slaughter the enemy quickly and efficiently. I can't think of a single game where every combat flows uniquely like some sort of choreographed Jedi masterpiece.

It's easy to write it into a book. It's a hell of a lot harder to program into a game.

Batman : Arkham Asylum has been praised for its 'free-flow' melee, but that was just a repetition of the same moves just executed in different sequences and then only against a handful of goons who (true to type) queued up to receive their orderly beating. In the midst of the large orc mobs of Space Marine it would have felt both unrealistic (if such a term can ever be truly applied to a fictional warrior in a fictional setting ;) ) and far too acrobatic for a hulking Astartes.

Still, game's not without its flaws, but I think it did what it was supposed to do a lot better than people give it credit for.

Just my few pennies worth.

Keeping to the topic at hand however!

I have just finished Resistance 3 (8/10 for style and gameplay, 4/10 for story satisfaction) and have recently embarked on the God of War Collection 2 (Chains of Olympus first, though I already did on the PSP ... it was an enjoyable enough romp). At some point I am to get the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus HD collection, because Shadow of the Colossus is one of the best games I have ever played ... ever ... and possibly Gears of War 3 when it goes on the cheap.

Looking forward to - Uncharted 3 and Assassins Creed : Revelations

:mrgreen:
It's a brilliant plan with no obvious flaws. You should do it immediately.
Ballistichimp

Postby Squiggle » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:06 am

and Skyrim. Barely a month before I become a complete recluse.

its not fair - I'm halfway through a novel!
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby David Earle » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:43 am

I just unlocked the last achievement in Cut the Rope. I... I have nothing left to do. :cry:

Nah, just kidding. I downloaded the new Portal 2 cooperative levels, and they are well worth your time if you already own the game. Also free, which is pretty awesome.

I also recently finished the Gears of War 3 campaign, and messed around in the Battlefield 3 beta. Now I'm waiting on the new Batman: Arkham City. So many good games coming out... :mrgreen:
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Colonel Mustard » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:00 pm

shadowhawk2008 wrote:The Warboss Grimskull fight in Space Marine is so unintuitive. There are no health bars at all in the game so you never get any idea just how much damage you do. I died four times on easy mode on this fight because I couldn't figure out that all you had to do here was just frikkin shoot at him the whole time.

Why the hell am I carrying around a Thunder Hammer for????

Speaking of Thunder Hammer's, apparently using one means that you cannot use your tertiary and quartery (or whatever the hell the term is) weapons. Could they please put some kind of a warning in the game for that please? I spent an entire mission wondering why the hell I couldn't use these two weapon slots.

It does say that when you pick it up.

As for Grimskull, Fury, Fury and more Fury. Then you kick his arse. Also, stop complaining about the Thunder Hammer. I went through the entire second and third act with the same damn hammer and I did fine, so stop being mean to my baby!

Currently, I'm repeatedly getting my arse kicked on Halo: Reach, though I've managed to put together a few viable tactics for playing it which kind of work for me, namely get up close, unload your magazine into the enemy and then melee the crap out of what's left.
Colonel Mustard

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Squiggle wrote:and Skyrim. Barely a month before I become a complete recluse.

its not fair - I'm halfway through a novel!

Skyrim is going to be my fantasy fix after the disappointment I had with Dark Souls. Killing some Dragons should get me revitalized on the whole swords and sorcery genre of video games.

Lord of the Night
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:04 am

Defcon - retro eighties global thermonuclear war. Strangely unsettling (especially when you get the death tolls for the cities that get destroyed), but fun (and possibly for the same reasons... oh the dichotomy that is Man!).
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Vivia » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:13 am

After I started Quest for Glory 3 I was a little put off by the change to an Egyptian type of fantasy world. Instead I moved on to play QfG 4: Shadows of Darkness which is far more cool, a horror themed adventure with some Lovecraftian imaginary and much death. Like many of Sierra games you die a lot if you make the wrong decisions and the combat system kicks my ass. The graphics and music are from the early 90's and still manages to scare me and shouldn't play it at night. :)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:38 pm

I am now currently swamped with both Gears of War 3 and RAGE, and Forza 4 comes out Friday. Not enough time in the day, or week :cry: .
Major Rawne

Postby Malcador » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:56 pm

Ballistichimp wrote:
As for the flow of combat, comparing it to DMC4 is ... odd.

If Titus punched an orc thirty feet into the air before jumping after him to perform some sort of outrageous aerial juggle I probably would have killed the next THQ rep I met. Basic combos are basic combos, they serve the purpose - to slaughter the enemy quickly and efficiently. I can't think of a single game where every combat flows uniquely like some sort of choreographed Jedi masterpiece.

It's easy to write it into a book. It's a hell of a lot harder to program into a game.

Just my few pennies worth.

That makes me smile every time I read (mainly because I imagine it in my head) :)
Speaking of Jedi masterpieces, try out Jedi Academy and Jedi Knight. Games with an incredible flow of combat for their time, and moves list.
If you can't lower Heaven, RAISE HELL!
Malcador

Postby Mauthos » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:09 am

Currently playing Rage which is surprisingly good, although that may have to go on hold when I pick up Arkham City this weekend :)
Simplicity is the key to brilliance.
Mauthos

Postby Obscura Boy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:34 pm

All your descriptions of these fantastic console games make me drool for a 360. Was considering asking for one for Xmas, but alas my parents fear that it would distract them from my studies. Can't imagine what would give them that idea... :P

Have recently been neglecting my usual favourites - Minecraft, Medieval II: Total War and Empire: Total War - to play a lot of Sid Meier's Civilization IV, which I got for a knock-down price on Steam. Would have got the more recent Civ V, but I don't reckon my laptop could hack it. Really enjoying it thus far - while it doesn't offer the same level of tactical control when it comes to battles, it adds so much more to the business of building and managing an empire. I'd say that you have to pay much more attention to things like the economy, diplomacy, infrastructure and technology in the Civilization games (and in their interplanetary cousins, the GalCiv games) than you do in the Total War games; sure, they tell you on the back of the box that you can achieve victory through trade and diplomacy, yadda yadda yadda, but that fact that every game has the word WAR in the title kinda gives away what the focus is going to be.
My other car is a Land Raider.
Obscura Boy

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:11 pm

Psychonauts.

This is consuming my life, and I love it.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Robbie MacNiven » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:26 pm

TF2. Basically for two years solid. Over 1000 hours played now. Alongside it some very happy spells of Empire and Napoleon Total War (actually some very happy spells of ALL the Total Wars, but ETW and NTW are my favs). Bit of Fifa 12 when it came out. Looking forward to getting Shogun 2 and, of course, Space Marine, for xmas. Anyway, enough of this forum lark, back to TF2 8-)
Robbie MacNiven

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:02 pm

Still on the Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes beta. They really have taken the best bits of Age of Reckoning here...fast, frenetic, ferocious fun!
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Gaius Marius » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:48 pm

red Dead Redemption at the moment. I'm torn between getting Arkham City and Skyrim. Hmmm...
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Picked up a couple of games Friday and have been playing them both this weekend. Arkham City and Forza 4, both just brilliant.
Major Rawne

Postby Vivia » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:01 pm

Back to Quest for Glory 3 : Wages of War and it's good. I'm not so fond of the music, battle system and the story but it's different. Playing in the thief class isn't as fulfilling as in the other QFG games and I'm just at the beginning. Hopefully it will improve, don't know how it will help with my honour points though.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:09 pm

I'm almost 37 now in SM. The game totally changes once you hit 30+. Now I actually have some real offensive capabilities as a Tactical Marine with a storm bolter. I still suck immensely as an Assault marine though :(
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Yaj » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:31 pm

FIFA 12 currently though this is a temporary gaming fix until the new Assassins Creed comes out. Also been running my English Empire on Medivial Total War 2 having already conquered the entire map. Still fun though as I get the enjoyment of rebelious subjects pin-cushioned/hacked into pieces with mass ranks of longbows and English Knights and the Pope (English, of course) still makes a nuisance of himself every so often.

Only problem I have with it is that the year is currently somewhere in the 25th century (I forget when) and I'm still waiting for modern weaponry to turn up.

Played Space Marine a couple of weeks ago and thought it fun but short.
Yaj

Postby Mauthos » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:25 am

Just started playing Batman Arkham City, only played for about an hour and so far it is awesome, my favourite game of this year already!
Simplicity is the key to brilliance.
Mauthos

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic