What are you playing?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:16 am

Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Dev Team wrote:At this time, we are no longer enforcing the confidentiality provisions set forth in the Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes Beta Agreement. Players in the beta are still bound by all other aspects of the Beta Agreement to which they agreed when they signed up and installed the game.

Yesssssssss, now I can endorse this game very openly.

The gameplay is well-crafted. They took the best single aspect of Warhammer Online--the scenarios--and transplanted it into a sort of free-to-play League of Legends-esque arena. Every character class has 5 skills, which is something of a massive drop from WAR, but it really allows each character to have a single major, easy-to-recognize combat application. The battlefield is a Dark Age Of Camelot-style melee, with 3 teams of 6 characters on each map.

The single biggest let-down is the lack of lore adherence: your team will often consist of 2 goblins, a dwarf, a Bright Wizard, a dark elven Sorceress and a vampiress, or some similar mix. All pretenses at a realistic backstory, like the factions in Age of Reckoning, have been thrown out in Wrath of Heroes.

On the other hand, you can change heroes on the fly. If an opposing team is spamming AoE ranged DPS Bright Wizards, you'll get splattered playing as that Black Orc. When you die, though, switch over to the Slayer, who can disrupt all those annoying knockbacks and roots that the Bright Wizards have, and close the distance to hack them to bits. That annoying Shadow Warrior keep filling you with arrows? Switch over to the Witch Elf and dodge them, then hack him to bits, or the highly armored Black Orc, and laugh at his little puny twigs while clobbering him into the ground.

The interplay of damage resistance and offensive damage type, coupled with ranged/melee/support considerations, makes for a very engaging form of highly complex rock paper scissors. The Black Orc will pound a physical damage dealer into the dirt, but throw a Sorceress or Bright Wizard at him, and his obscenely high armor will count for nothing. Is the enemy team a cluster of goblin Shamans all healing each other in a tight knot and resisting your magical damage? Switch to the dwarfen engineer and unleash deadly AoE artillery barrages of physical damage to break them across your knee!

So many characters are a joy to play. The Black Orc for one--once he's got his clobbering stacked high enough, he's a near-unstoppable rolling deathball. The skaven is a delightful, delicious character who is fragile as hell, cowardly, and obscenely deadly in the hands of a skilled character. You just have to play like a backstabbing coward, that's all. Dart in with a shower of warpstone throwing stars, hack the opponent a bit, then pop smoke bombs as soon as they realize where you're coming from and scurry away. Rinse, repeat, and you're crowing over the corpse of a dead opponent. Get the drop on him or her, and you're a vicious, delicious killer. Get stuck in a protracted melee, or come up against a team of opponents, or get hit by a ranged opponent while your guard is down...and you're dead, or squirting the musk of fear while you sprint away. He scurries as fast as those few characters with a sprint move do while sprinting, which makes him excellent for a quick get-away or for ninjaing a flag to score some quick team points. Then there's the Engineer: nothing is as satisfying as seeing a group of enemies, calling down an artillery barrage, throwing a grenade, setting up a turret and then firing a tracer round for the turret to bombard them by...in about 4 seconds. See that hundreds and hundreds of damage you're doing? The entire enemy team has lost a third of their health bar in a handful of seconds and you, sir, are the only one responsible. Now your Sorceress companion can hoist their shaman into the air and shred them with doombolts, ravening claws, and psychic words of agony. Their team is broken; their team is shattered. Your Bright Wizard calls down rains and hails and pillars of fire, before sending that damnable witch elf flying like a bowling pin with a knockback fireball. Your Marauder pulls their Shadow Warrior to him, yanking him from across the battlefield and rooting him into place with his chaotic gifts, so your teammates can surround and hack down the unfortunate victim. Your vampiress sprints around draining the blood of those poor opposing fools and healing herself. Your shaman scurries from player to player, tossing mushrooms and setting up little totems of Mork to heal what little damage they managed to do.

The combat is frenetic, shifting, and brutal. Just as it's fun to run roughshod over your opponent, you need to take care that their setup doesn't trample over you. Look out: there's a team of 5 bright wizards and 1 shaman, stacking AoE damage to insane levels to wipe your team out with ease. Scatter! Respawn as the vampiress, the Slayer, or the Marauder, to break their group cohesion. A well-made premade group in this game can unleash some truly awe-inspiring feats of teamwork, until you feel like you're locked in a constant chain of slaughter, up to your waist in the corpses of your foes. All the same, there are 3 teams, not 2, so make sure that the other team hasn't sneaked the artifact out from under you, or captured the objective flags, while you were busy camping the spawn point of the first team. They might gang up on you, if you're doing too well, and you'll find your leverage to continue scoring points dropping, until all three teams are about equal and their briefly-found unity dissolves into backstabbing, and you sweep forward to wash them away once more in a tide of blood.

This beta is awesome, and they keep adding more and more features. Really, warhammer-loving folks everywhere should sign up--or at least anticipate the free-to-play public release with bated breath.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Vivia » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:47 pm

So you heartily endorse this product? :)
Sounds like it could be fun for all. They aren't following background and stuff so it opens the way for fun and mayhem. I feel tempted just from what you said about the skaven. I would love to see how the character moves, fights and talks.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Erunanion » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Vivia wrote:So you heartily endorse this product? :)

This sounds very Team Fortress-esque... I like it.
Check out my shiny new website, with genuine new-blog smell! - http://www.jonathandbeer.com

The Emperor's Mercy - Prologue - The first piece of fiction I've put up on the Bolthole's new incarnation.

"It is the 41st Millennium, and never underestimate the ability of the universe to infinitely screw you over." - Lord Lucan
Erunanion

Postby Vivia » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:14 pm

It's taken from The Simpsons. Krusty the Clown often sells himself out to companies. It comes from Matt Groening's own experience with companies wanting to promote things through the series. :)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Colonel Mustard » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:04 pm

Skyrim...six days...SO INSANELY HYPED!!
Colonel Mustard

Postby Squiggle » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:08 pm

Colonel Mustard wrote:Skyrim...six days...SO INSANELY HYPED!!

You and me both!! :D :D
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Squiggle wrote:

You and me both!! :D :D

ME THREE!!!!
Major Rawne

Postby Gaius Marius » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:34 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY

Holy shit, what is this?
Forged in God's very flames.

Do mine eyes tell me lies,
A new Elder Scrolls Game?

Time is nigh, I must fly,
Venture forth on my quest.

Goodbye Ma, goodbye Pa
And goodbye Girlfriend's breasts.

I'll be off Azeroth, catch you later Hyrule.
I'll be gone Albion, I'm no longer your fool.

Other crap filled the gap
While I waited to begin...

The adventure of my life
in the land of Skyrim!
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Colonel Mustard » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Gaius Marius wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY

Holy shit, what is this?
Forged in God's very flames.

Do mine eyes tell me lies,
A new Elder Scrolls Game?

Time is nigh, I must fly,
Venture forth on my quest.

Goodbye Ma, goodbye Pa
And goodbye Girlfriend's breasts.

I'll be off Azeroth, catch you later Hyrule.
I'll be gone Albion, I'm no longer your fool.

Other crap filled the gap
While I waited to begin...

The adventure of my life
in the land of Skyrim!

Ah, Harry Partridge; fantastically good animator, he is.

I've been watching the official trailer pretty much every day since last Friday, and I've been test-playing my character build on Morrowind. I don't think I've been this hyped for a game since Mass Effect 2...
Colonel Mustard

Postby Squiggle » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:24 am

ok, I haven't gone that far!! but I am looking forward to it quite alot! :D :D

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby davij038 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:20 pm

Finally completed Resident Evil: The mercenaries, it was quite fun and very addictive but in the end rather disappointing. However, I heard it was only released to test out resi on the 3ds sytem for Revelations. I played the (very short) demo for Revelations and the game does look amazing, going back to its old skool horror style. I doubt it will be as jaw droppingly amazing as resident evil 4 but you cant have everything.

Stupid work references haven't come through yet so I still can't afford an X box for Reach and the beautiful looking Space Marine...and the upcoming resident evil: Operation Racoon city (can't wait to play for Umbrella!!!!)

Serious resident evil fan here! :D
davij038

Postby Squiggle » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:21 pm

I just ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... n0N294NFy0 and then... oh no. I'm gonna have to go clean up. :oops:

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Extremely rich and beautiful setting.

Sadly, this is what World of Warcraft could be, if only Blizzard was willing to abandon the players who play on ancient computers. After 6 (or is it 7?) years and counting, most of the models are really, really showing their age.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Ballistichimp » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Well I just finished Uncharted 3 and loved it. Slightly disappointed that it did not exceed Uncharted 2 in terms of awesomeness, but I can live with that, it was at least as good as. I fear for the future of the series though, since I can only assume that much of its (apparently huge) disc space was given over to multiplayer and co-op modes.

Which makes me a bit sad, but such is the gaming trend and I understand that my searing hatred for online gaming is something of a minoriy opinion.

Started Rage, and liking what I see so far ... but only an hour of game time so far.

Only major thing left for me this year now is Assassins Creed : Revelations. I feel the need, the need for Creed.

And I'll probably give Arkham City a look in at some point.

:mrgreen:
It's a brilliant plan with no obvious flaws. You should do it immediately.
Ballistichimp

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:17 pm

has anyone said "with myself" on this thread yet?

If not, that's what I'm playing.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:35 pm

TF2. It's a vile, insidious leech sucking away my precious NaNoWriMo time.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby davij038 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:43 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:has anyone said "with myself" on this thread yet?

If not, that's what I'm playing.

That game sounds like a load of old w**k to me... :lol:
davij038

Postby Squiggle » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:19 pm

skyrim... apparently it is on its way to me. bit of a shame ill be at work tomorrow when it arrives!! saturday, then! :D

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Been playing Modern Warfare 3 today. Such a fantastic storyline. Shame it had to end. Was also going to be playing Skyrim, but it didn't arrive in the post :( Second time that has happened this week.
Major Rawne

Postby sam vimes » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:27 pm

Major Rawne wrote:Been playing Modern Warfare 3 today. Such a fantastic storyline. Shame it had to end. Was also going to be playing Skyrim, but it didn't arrive in the post :( Second time that has happened this week.

never ever got the appeal of the MW games and the story line for the second one Russia invades America just made me laugh like that hasn't been done to death in almost every other form of media as for Skyrim I'm avoiding any and all info related to that as I'm waiting till December 4th so I can buy it, back on topic Final Fantasy VII and Blood omen and I find it very odd that I'm just 20hrs into ff7 and Cloud already has all his limit breaks bar omnislash.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic