What are you playing?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby David Earle » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:56 pm

I haven't talked about Shin Megami Tensei IV yet? Okay then.

Welcome to a place that looks a lot like feudal Japan, except with personal electronic assistants. You are a Samurai. You have to defend your kingdom from demons (not daemons, shut up) that come crawling out of a hole in the ground called Naraku. Because you are weak and weedy, you do this by making contracts with demons to serve you in battle. If your demons get weak, you can fuse them together to make stronger demons. All that's well and good and then (if the series follows form) the world ends.

Let me rephrase that.

Welcome to Pokemon from Hell. And it is glorious. I'm about thirteen hours in and I still feel like I'm in the tutorial, chasing after what's most likely a minor league villain. And having a blast.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:47 pm

David Earle wrote:I haven't talked about Shin Megami Tensei IV yet? Okay then.

Sounds awesome but how do you have this? It's not due out for a while yet.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby David Earle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:11 pm

:?: It's been out on the 3DS for a good long while now. There's even a mess of DLC for it. (Which, if you want a challenge, breaks the game by making it laughably easy, at least where I am now.)

Persona V is due out soon, which is a side series to SMT. Is that what you're talking about?
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Xisor » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:17 pm

I've been faffing about on The Old Republic and Star Trek Online recently. Nice to be back in the saddle, they're pleasingly enjoyable games. Still a bit too much sameyness and grinding, but I'm getting there! Once I get through the 'main' story lines (well, my chief two in TOR and my 'me' character in STO) I'll probably ease off again, but it's damn fun messing about in them. 8-)
Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:22 pm

David Earle wrote::?: It's been out on the 3DS for a good long while now. There's even a mess of DLC for it. (Which, if you want a challenge, breaks the game by making it laughably easy, at least where I am now.)

Persona V is due out soon, which is a side series to SMT. Is that what you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shin-Megami-Ten ... +tensei+iv

No I mean that. Not out on Amazon for some reason.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:27 pm

The Wolf Among Us. Telltale Games continues showcasing their strong storytelling and intricate web of characters. Because it's so much less linear a setting with less well-defined objectives, I was sometimes frustrated by the lack of an ability to say or ask what I really wanted. Excellent use of a lurid color palette, and Bigby is an impressively menacing-yet-nuanced protagonist to play.

Moreso than TTG's The Walking Dead (game), this is making me consider getting into the Fables line of comics. Probably won't, but perhaps. Eventually.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby David Earle » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:28 pm

@LotN: Oh! Um. 'MERICA!! And I'm a bit surprised, Atlus's stuff seemed to be hitting Europe first lately. And it's even on Nintendo's eShop here.
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Vivia » Thu May 15, 2014 10:22 pm

I'm testing Nearwood, it isn't my usual pick of Hidden Object game. Beautiful graphics and music score making it similar to the Awakening series. I don't have much patience for the voice acting, I usually skip over it.

Millenium Secrets: Smaragdförbannelsen is a game I bought from Big Fish and forgot about it for a couple of months. No hidden objects, only puzzles. It has some decent animation sequences and voice acting, the environment tend to look on the sparse side, it kind of bothers me, at the same time it's a relief for my eyes.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby sam vimes » Fri May 16, 2014 12:10 am

Medieval Total war 2 as the danes just learned the hard way that whilst a full 20 units of huscarls works against most nations (had a ton of cash kicking around decided to have a laugh) it doesn't work against the Russians they shot me to death the cowards, so I'm going back with a composite army 5 huscarls, 5 huscarls mounted, 5 fuedal knights, and 5 norse archers, I'm either introducing them to the business end of an ax or lance or shooting them back, bloody milita armies hate them for spamming crossbow milita at me.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby SIngemeister » Fri May 16, 2014 9:03 am

sam vimes wrote:Medieval Total war 2 as the danes just learned the hard way that whilst a full 20 units of huscarls works against most nations (had a ton of cash kicking around decided to have a laugh) it doesn't work against the Russians they shot me to death the cowards, so I'm going back with a composite army 5 huscarls, 5 huscarls mounted, 5 fuedal knights, and 5 norse archers, I'm either introducing them to the business end of an ax or lance or shooting them back, bloody milita armies hate them for spamming crossbow milita at me.

Hammer'n'Anvil man, Hammer'n'Anvil.
SIngemeister

Postby Athelassan » Fri May 16, 2014 3:19 pm

sam vimes wrote:Medieval Total war 2 as the danes just learned the hard way that whilst a full 20 units of huscarls works against most nations (had a ton of cash kicking around decided to have a laugh) it doesn't work against the Russians they shot me to death the cowards, so I'm going back with a composite army 5 huscarls, 5 huscarls mounted, 5 fuedal knights, and 5 norse archers, I'm either introducing them to the business end of an ax or lance or shooting them back, bloody milita armies hate them for spamming crossbow milita at me.

Spam armies - especially strong infantry - can work for a while if your troops are good enough and the battles are small enough, but once you reach a certain point you really need some balance. Otherwise you get a rock-paper-scissors situation and your enemy starts spamming units at you that you can't deal with.

The unit that always drove me absolutely crazy - especially in Rome 1, less so in Medieval 2 (not played Rome 2 yet) was horse archers. You could rout the entire enemy army apart from one unit of horse archers - even one or two survivors from a unit you'd otherwise destroyed - and unless you had any archers of your own they were free to pick off your guys with impunity until the time ran out, since you had no troops fast enough to engage them. When I think of the number of hours spent fruitlessly chasing horse archers around the battlefield just trying to keep them moving so they couldn't shoot... :x

It's always worth including some cavalry just for that reason if you can, I think. They still don't help with the horse archer problem directly (unless they have archery themselves), but they can at least hunt down other renegade units.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Major Rawne » Fri May 16, 2014 8:03 pm

The latest episode of Telltale Games The Walking Dead, In Harms Way. I can feel the emotions rising already and it's only the recap. :cry:
Major Rawne

Postby SIngemeister » Sat May 17, 2014 9:15 am

Athelassan wrote:
sam vimes wrote:The unit that always drove me absolutely crazy - especially in Rome 1, less so in Medieval 2 (not played Rome 2 yet) was horse archers. You could rout the entire enemy army apart from one unit of horse archers - even one or two survivors from a unit you'd otherwise destroyed - and unless you had any archers of your own they were free to pick off your guys with impunity until the time ran out, since you had no troops fast enough to engage them. When I think of the number of hours spent fruitlessly chasing horse archers around the battlefield just trying to keep them moving so they couldn't shoot... :x
Ath[/color]

Why must you remind of Horse Archer Tag, Ath? Why? I was having such a good day.

It's worse if aren't having time limits, because eventually they just run out of arrows but will continue to keep running away, and you have to pray that eventually the AI'll bug out and they'll pull a suicide rush on yer knights or legionaries.
SIngemeister

Postby Bane Of Kings » Sun May 18, 2014 9:29 am

Not playing yet per say, but I have made my first game preorder ever with Watch Dogs. Man, I am really excited for this one, and with an expected average 40 hours of gameplay (with 100 hours if you want to do everything) it should be awesome.
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby sam vimes » Sun May 18, 2014 10:26 am

Well Singe, Ath a trick I've learned is to re aim your charge at the last second as the archers will keep moving forward to keep up the preassure on you as you charge the enemy's infantry if there close enough, you'll catch them and hammer and anvil, but I tell you for free you cavalry will take a pounding even in full plate, well kinda full plate as I'm not to sure if chilvaric knights get full plate even with armour factory built.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Major Rawne » Wed May 28, 2014 10:17 pm

Just stormed my way through the latest episode of Wolf Among Us. Really is an absolute pleasure to play. Can't wait for the final episode.
Major Rawne

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu May 29, 2014 2:50 am

Major Rawne wrote:Just stormed my way through the latest episode of Wolf Among Us. Really is an absolute pleasure to play. Can't wait for the final episode.

Absolutely. I surprised myself by going as subtly as I could and upholding the law rather than helping friends--and most of the player base didn't go along with my choices. Heh. Excellent episode, and am very much looking forward to the last one. I can't help but suspect there's some sort of shell game going on as to the true identity of the Crooked Man or the power behind his throne, though...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby David Earle » Thu May 29, 2014 3:43 am

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, which is very similar to Symphony of the Night but harder, if anything. Also Fire Emblem: Awakening, which is a damn fun real-time strategy game with quirky-cool characters.
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Currently running through Murdered: Soul Suspect again. It was just brilliant. Think LA Noir but you're a ghost and it's much more fun.

I'm also rather addicted to Simpsons Tapped Out.
Major Rawne

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:46 am

Space Marine: couldn't resist it at a fiver, and so far it's played somewhat above my expectations of being an arcade-y no-brainer shooter. It keeps me coming back for more, anyway. Best moment so far was an ork shouting, 'Go on, shoot me ag-' as I complied and killed it. Presently stuck on the bit where the sabotaged shell has to reloaded into that BFG while I defend. Nobz are buggers :D .
Chun the Unavoidable

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic