What are you playing?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby David Earle » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:43 pm

I blew through Shovel Knight in about three days. Excellent little indie platformer for 3DS, PC, and a few other systems. I also gave Elite Beat Agents a whirl, which is insane in all the right ways.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Vivia » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Currently I'm playing Blue Toad: Murder Files by Relentless Software. This game I played once on Steam back when it was new, it was overshadowed by Dreamfall and I forgot about it. Downloaded it for Google but it stopped playing for some reason so I went and bought it for iOS.
It's fairly cute and pleasant little game in whodunit murder mystery, we play as one of the Blue Toad Detective Agency. I contains elements of puzzle and quizzes, the narrator is both good and tedious, the sarcastic narration is humorous but a lot of the time he keeps retelling what you just have finished doing, over and over. I really can't stand when a game relies on tell-don't-show, I prefer the approach of Layton's Brothers Mystery Room and Ace Attorney. the clues are kept in files for future references. Sometimes I hardly bother with the quizzes and click on skip. A plus for it being for both iPad and iPhone.

Finished Awakening: The Skyward Castle, and it was so-so. I bought Awakening: The Sunhook Spire and the last game in the series, The Redleaf Forest.

All three games are a welcomed break from the endless Hidden Object games with horror elements set in a Victorian mansion. Yawn.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:51 am

The Wolf Among Us: Episode 5. Hands down the best of the season, a no-holds-barred climax. Brutal, vicious, and the culmination of all your choices throughout the game in more ways than one. Bloody Mary was really quite something, there--that showdown in the foundry was awesome. And that was still the beginning of the episode. I could see that episode playing out very differently depending on how players went through it: felt a lot less rigid and linear than, say, The Walking Dead: S1E5 (the game, not the series, mind you).

Am left desperately hoping for more seasons of tWAU.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:10 pm

Can't really fault Mossy on his evaluation of the final installment to Wolf Among Us. It was just superb.

I picked up Watch Dogs recently. Was not too bad, but the main story was somewhat messy. I felt like I didn't really care who won in the end, and that when it all came down to it none of it seemed to matter all that much. I suppose some of it stems from the fact that it didn't feel like it was really doing anything different than a lot of other games. Still i'm having fun mopping up a lot of the side missions.

Looking forward to hopefully getting round to installing the latest episode of The Walking Dead sometime this week. I can't leave my Clem to fend for herself against the world.
Major Rawne

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Major Rawne wrote:Looking forward to hopefully getting round to installing the latest episode of The Walking Dead sometime this week. I can't leave my Clem to fend for herself against the world.

Honestly, I haven't touched tWD:S2 yet. I heard some middling reports about the first few episodes, but by all accounts, the latest episode has been getting nothing but rave reviews. Still, I think I'll be waiting until all 5 episodes are out until I start picking through it at my own pace. I mean, I still probably won't be playing more than one episode per sitting--too much emotional intensity, otherwise--but still...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:
Major Rawne wrote:Looking forward to hopefully getting round to installing the latest episode of The Walking Dead sometime this week. I can't leave my Clem to fend for herself against the world.

Honestly, I haven't touched tWD:S2 yet. I heard some middling reports about the first few episodes, but by all accounts, the latest episode has been getting nothing but rave reviews. Still, I think I'll be waiting until all 5 episodes are out until I start picking through it at my own pace. I mean, I still probably won't be playing more than one episode per sitting--too much emotional intensity, otherwise--but still...

It takes a couple of episodes to really get behind Clem being the main character, and the impact impact of events seems somewhat muted compared to season one but it is brilliant. There will be tears no doubt.
Major Rawne

Postby Vivia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:46 pm

Games I'm playing:

The Ace Attorney trilogy and Broken Sword 2 on iOS, the ipad is better for this, The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection and Awakening The Sunhook Spire.

I hadn't logged into Origin for ages, maybe three years ago, and discovered that EA offered The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection for those who bought the original game. Hurrah! I was fairly annoyed when they removed everything related to Sims 2, I had plans on purchasing expansions and now I get all of them for free. My old love for the Sims is back, I'm trying to get a hold of the first game.
I was impressed by myself that I got so many things right intuitively, I never quite got a grasp on the career stuff but managed to reach quite many of the Sims goals, and this time around I found them to be difficult to achieve. The best addition in my opinion are the pets; I love to have cats and dogs, even though if it's increases the difficulty of the gameplay, I have so much difficulty multi-tasking so it's quite the challenge. On the other hand it's very satisfying when I get things right. It helps that the pets are so darn cute and loveable, though the developers had more skills with the dogs than the cats, some of the cat breeds are hideous.

Finished Mystery Stories: At the Mountains of Madness. It's a very impressive little game in the Hidden Object genre. I was in doubt of how much the developers would get things right, what if they made the game over the top and ugly, what if they fell in the usual traps of the genre. I played the preview and was hooked. The art was amazingly accurate and period set, the hidden objects were just the right amount of complex, the soundtrack was both epic and ominous. The game was made by people who knew what they were doing and had read the story. I was surprised by how scary it was towards the end, I was like help, the thing from the abyss. There was a rather sad mood throughout the game, set by the score, the city was abandoned and dead, it really captured the mood of the story as in my opinion it's Lovecraft's most moving work.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:57 am

Were there giant penguins?
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Vivia » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:41 am

Sadly, they were missing. :) Too bad, because I would have loved to see them finally, the game was disappointingly short in all as many of the genre are, they're called casual games for something.
Vivia

Postby Bane Of Kings » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:07 pm

LEGO Marvel Superheroes. Completed the game, now unlocking characters. Just got Daredevil and brought Black Bolt and Red Hulk. So much fun!
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby David Earle » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:21 pm

I'm still playing Fire Emblem: Awakening. I can't make any progress because I keep using my play sessions to recruit crazy new characters instead of advancing the plot. :oops:

I'm also most of the way through Kirby Triple Threat. Pretty solid platformer with some fun 3D mechanics.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby SIngemeister » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:12 am

Recently went through the Mass Effect series again.

Good god, but the Venom Shotgun is overpowered. It turns the Vanguard into some kind of mobile artillery platform.
SIngemeister

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:17 am

SIngemeister wrote:Recently went through the Mass Effect series again.

Good god, but the Venom Shotgun is overpowered. It turns the Vanguard into some kind of mobile artillery platform.

Eh, I don't even use guns on ME3 anymore. My vanguard can just charge/nova/charge/nova/nova/charge/nova any enemy all day long, building the character around biotic cooldown and damage. It's beautiful... and makes Insanity difficulty a walk in the park.
Mossy Toes

Postby SIngemeister » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:25 am

Mossy Toes wrote:

Eh, I don't even use guns on ME3 anymore. My vanguard can just charge/nova/charge/nova/nova/charge/nova any enemy all day long, building the character around biotic cooldown and damage. It's beautiful... and makes Insanity difficulty a walk in the park.

With the right tweaks, it can two-shot Atlases and Banshees.
SIngemeister

Postby sam vimes » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:18 am

ME3 as well lol I forgot just how much I enjoy using a fully upgraded Phaeston rifle as a soilder class till its taken away lol, I dont play biotics as it ruins the game imo I also dont play as a mage in dragon age as it breaks the game which bores me, kinda like playing a jedi consular/jedi master in KOTORII all challange just leaves the game with biotics/force powers/magic.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Vivia » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:51 pm

For Sims players:

Origin is offering The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection for free for a limited time only for those who had purchased the original game. The UC contains ALL expansions.
I wish they could the same for the old Sims 1, but it's unlikely because EA is major **** about their games.

LGR always says Sims 3 expansions are for less in his shop and for 19 dollars they're, I would prefer the Swedish version. I went to Origin to see the Swedish prices and they cost a freaking 299 SEK and up then 19 dollars is nothing, the language version is a minor problem really, I have to think it through.
Vivia

Postby Mossy Toes » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:54 am

SIngemeister wrote:
Mossy Toes wrote:

With the right tweaks, it can two-shot Atlases and Banshees.

Oh, right, the Venom! I use that in multi-player, certainly--useful for stripping a Banshee's entire barrier in a single shot. Yeah, it's OP.
Mossy Toes

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:46 am

I do keep considering the Mass Effect games myself... but my game-playing time is limited and there's this Destiny thing on the horizon...
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Lord of the Night » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:50 am

At the moment i'm replaying AC: Black Flag and Dark Souls 2. But come October;

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/08/15/ass ... layer-demo

I nerd-gasmed repeatedly watching this.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby SIngemeister » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:46 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:At the moment i'm replaying AC: Black Flag and Dark Souls 2. But come October;

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2014/08/15/ass ... layer-demo

I nerd-gasmed repeatedly watching this.

LotN

When shortened, that becomes "ass...layer demo"

Sounds a bit NSFW.
SIngemeister

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic