What are you playing?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby Lord of the Night » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:38 pm

Damnit! Those sound awesome. Add them to Star Wars: 1313 on the List of Cancelled Games That Shouldn't Have Been.

Pre-ordered Lords of the Fallen (PS4) today, looking forward to another challenging game.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby David Earle » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:51 pm

Tried out Injustice for the Steam free weekend. For some reason it defaults to 3D glasses mode and I can't figure out how to turn it off. Eff it, more Hearthstone and Guacamelee.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby David Earle » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:53 pm

I'll be investing in a Playstation TV (set top box Vita) to play Persona 4 Golden. At $100 it's a steal of a game system for RPG geeks.

In the meantime: Hearthstone. So much Hearthstone. From the makers of Warcrack! >.< But it beats the pants off of Magic and I'm having a blast with it. Currently working my way through the heroic-level Naxxramas bosses.

Also tried the Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire demo on 3DS. Have to say, much better than XY because it doesn't treat me like an idiot.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Vivia » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:30 pm

In the spirit of All Saint's Day and Halloween here is a Let's Play of Phantasmagoria by Resulka and HerCrabbinnes. This isn't a timeless classic but a totally outdated FMV game of the 90s with hilariously bad graphics, pompous music and horrendous acting. It's hard to imagine that this turkey was so hyped and "masterful" back when it was released, Roberta Williams saw it as her best work, and not her work on King's Quest series, the one that became a timeless classic. Now we can laugh at her and not with her. :)
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby sam vimes » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Mainly shadow of mordor and the ffx hd remake, mordor is quite addictive
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:06 am

Risk of Rain, a charming little roguelike that is simple to pick up the basics of, but escalates in an exponential difficulty curve as the game goes on, so I have yet to get to the third stage, let alone beat the game.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby SIngemeister » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:46 pm

Wiv yo' heart, guuurl.
SIngemeister

Postby Vivia » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:02 pm

So I did it, I went on and bought the extension The Sims 3: Kvällsnöjen ( night out or something in English), for The Sims 3. Mostly because the base game is so lacking and dangabit, I paid for it so I might well get some satisfaction. I should add I got it for less.
Previously from getting the extension I had been playing for two days and as I was playing I had an epiphany and was actually enjoying it quite a bit. After the lacklustre beginning, my Sims have finally become somewhat successful and things were smoothing out; collecting had paid off quite literally but it's also immensely satisfying as a hobby and a nice break from the daily chores, I got around to buying and customising décor and what nots, building up relationships became easier as it moved on. It's kind of telling of how difficult it was to get the Sims going that I forgot to give them a nice home, and yet so much is much better in TS3 than in TS2 and it's rather enjoyable, it's not quite as nice as TS2 but it's getting there, it still lacks that warm glow around it.

Now to the cons.
One of the things that get to me more or less is the focus on buying nicer things for the Sims in order for them to feel good, materialistic gain equals happiness, we get a moodlet with a nice feeling if we do things with expensive things. Wtf. This is combined with EA and their not so subtle messages that we should buy nicer and stronger items with Simpoints, the currency purchased with real money. It's totally optional but I can't help feel I'm missing out on better quality things, such as stuff that doesn't break which is a big thing. The Sims have always been more or less too focused on slowly gaining a middle-class lifestyle but in this game it's gone over board. Also, vintage décor is only available with Sim Points and it might become my undoing. :)

The game is bugged. For TS1 and TS2 to be so much less bugged and smooth it's rather quite alarming. There are some hilarious bugs in the first two games though those are fixable and charming, TS3 has what I would call daily bugs and errors; things and Sims mysteriously disappear, graphics get weird, the build mode is erratic, stuff just won't to work for no apparent reason etc.

Swenglish: The translation isn't as flawless as in previous games, this sucks big time. The translators haven't changed many of the English names, I loved the Swedish names because they were so charmingly nonsensical and I tried to give my Sims equally silly names.
Next on my list is The Sims 3: Årstider (seasons I think).

I have to give a shoutout to the online shop GameKeysNow. They have a newish concept on how to purchase games, new to me at least, ha: They sell the game keys and not the physical game with the box, this means we pay less. It isn't surprising we pay quite a lot of money for brand packaging. They have superb customer services, even though I was very sceptic in the beginning. Origin prices for the Swedish TS3 are still insane, the expansions cost 399 SEK and I know the prices in other countries are around 20 USD. Guh.

Edit: Things aand thingits, apologise for the overuse of the word. I could edit them but I leave it for the lolz. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Vivia on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Vivia » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Double post mayhem.

Because of the holiday known as Guy Fawke's Day, Revolution has a sale on the re-mastered version of Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templar. Since Revolution is a good company they sale it for both iPhone and iPad for only 7 crowns! Seven crowns! Hooray for foreign holidays! Buy this classic adventure game. ♥
Vivia

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:37 pm

My real farewell to the 360: Dante's Inferno. Not the type of game I usually go for, being the button-bashing combo type, but I do so love the OTT rendering of the setting.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:42 am

Niiiiiidhoooooooogggg

Spent a half hour or so laughing helplessly while fencing with a friend, sharing my laptop's keyboard so we could bloodily, low-pixel run each other through with our foils and run in opposite directions in our attempts to get devoured by the Great Wyrm at the end.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby David Earle » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:50 pm

I keep passing out playing Persona 4 after everyone else has gone to bed. I like the game, but the cutscenes are very long and I've already seen the anime so I'm not getting new information. I'm hoping it picks up soon.

(I have tried playing during the day. I got very close to a save point and then my toddler yanked the power cord on my system. Grnf.)

Thoughts on the Playstation TV: http://www.davidearle.com/2014/10/playstation-tv-review.html
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby SIngemeister » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:48 pm

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Chapter_Master_(game)

This might be of some interest. A simulationist game where you are the Chapter Master of your own Chapter.
SIngemeister

Postby David Earle » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:18 pm

Well damn it, I'm addicted to Persona 4 Golden now. Even knowing how the story goes, the game's very engaging and has a lot of side quests and hidden things that I don't know about and want to discover. (That includes a character who wasn't in the anime, a bonus dungeon and a special epilogue if you're good.)

Dungeon crawling is fairly standard, at least for Shin Megami Tensei games - compared to Final Fantasy you might find the combat system an improvement. Persona management is like Pokemon, but with a higher level of customization and options available to you, especially once you start developing Social Links.

The time management portion of the game, which is everything outside the dungeons, is glorious insanity and where the game really shines. You have a limited amount of things you can do in a day, each with its own benefits - build Social Links (friendships), earn money, boost your stats, etc. You'll want to do all of it, because the advantages are very real, but you'll never have enough time in the day or even the week to get everything done. I've found myself making an honest-to-God calendar to try and plan out my weeks, and I still feel slightly overwhelmed.
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:32 pm

I've been tempted to dabble in the Persona games... perhaps fortunately for me, never have gotten sucked up into that particular time-drain, though. But yeah, finite resource allocation is a great mechanic, even just generally.

I myself have spent this last week wringing just about every drop of life out of the latest DoubleFine game I got early access to, thanks to a Kickstarter from so long back that I'd almost forgotten about it: MASSIVE CHALICE.

It's quite the interesting game--think a fantasy X-Com grid base combat, combined with the managing generations aspect of Crusader Kings: you have to breed your heroic bloodlines to preserve good traits and weed out bad ones, but once you retire a hero (to become a regent or partner popping out babies for a bloodline; to teach trainee hero children; or to join the priesthood to speed up research) you don't get them back, so you have to decide--do I retire this young hero while they're still extremely fertile, but not too experienced? Or do I try to wait for another battle or two to level them up them more, so they teach their eventual children more and pass on more levels? And so on, and so forth.

Combat is fairly simple but has a pleasant depth once you start facing most types of opposing creatures, of which there are a tactically challenging set (enemies that age your heroes; make them lose exp; that spawn smaller enemies; that once you damage them in a turn become almost immune to further damage; that swap places with your hero on the map; that charge you to explode...), and once you manage to unlock cool upper-level abilities on the three classes. And speaking of the classes, they're very characterful: Hunters lugging around oversized crossbows (or undersized siege ballistae?), alchemists with dangling grenade-flasks and skaven-Eshin-claw sling-throwers, and Caberjacks lugging around their massive metal-tipped tree trunks with which to batter enemies into submission...

The research tree is a bit linear and unimaginative, and the tone of some of the random events is a bit... off compared to much of the rest of the game ("two of your heroes are feuding. Do you: send them on a road trip so they have wacky shenanigans? Or have them settle this in the Bossadome? Or do you, the immortal ruler, lecture them for hours on end until they agree not to feud just to shut you up?"). The graphics are pretty raw, though fit within a unifying aesthetic, and there are some bugs that rear their ugly heads (only one crash to desktop and one game-breaking bug in 46 hours of play, but... still, those are frustrating). Some rough edges to sand down, definitely.

Still, good fun. A 300 year war against an implacable, unknowable enemy advancing on all sides, with a good amount of humor and whimsy, some beautiful environments, and some delightful and challenging mechanics. All in all, I'll chalk up backing that Kickstarter as a win. We must protect the MASSIVE CHALICE!
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:05 am

Dragon Age: Inquisition. Yay, Dragons!
Major Rawne

Postby SIngemeister » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:03 am

Major Rawne wrote:Dragon Age: Inquisition. Yay, Dragons!

I'm just going to sit here grumpily and swear at EA because my order's stuck in 'Processing'.
SIngemeister

Postby David Earle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:24 pm

I think I'll be adding Massive Chalice to my Steam wishlist. Sounds fun.

I managed to rescue Yukiko-chan last night, which I regret for the loss of sleep, but it did come with a very fun boss battle. Now I need to plan out my social schedule for the month of May. Exams and Golden Week eat half the month, so it shouldn't be too bad.

When I remember I'm also saving up gold for the new Hearthstone expansion. No more real money will be spent on that game. This, I vow!
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby sam vimes » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:54 am

Dragon Age: Inquisition fantastic game 12hrs in and barely into the game :)
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:25 pm

Still rocking Dragon Age: Inquisition. Whilst some of the sidequesting could have had a little more direction, I have loved how Bioware has really opened up the world. And the relationships with your party members is better than they have ever done. There is a real sense that you are forming friendships (or more) in a way they haven't previously done in the Dragon Age series.
Major Rawne

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic