What are you playing?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby Vivia » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:22 pm

EA is having a The Sims 3 sale! It could be the season or it's the angry hoards of fans screaming and kicking for more content in The Sims 4. It feels a bit late for me, just bought the The SIms 3: Årstider (seasons) as recommended by Lazy Game Riews, and I'm satisfied with it. Buying a new town could be of use because I'm becoming slightly tired with Sunset Valley and its small size, everything gets crammed up in one puny place. I'm leaning towards a vacation place like Destination Världen or Semesterparadis.

Årstider is delivering, it's a very pretty expansion, the music changed for the different seasons and I love it. The festivals aren't all that they could be, at least the change the rather lacklustre town park into something useful.

Pros:
Lovely setting. Music that fits the mood and seasons, the sounds are amazing; I haven't quite appreciated the sounds the Sim series has provided and this time Maxis has done great. A lot of variety in clothing, furniture and vehicles. Weird and charming activities at random times of year.

Cons:

Toddlers. They are AWFUL. I think they came out to play with Årstider, I can't imagine Kvällsnöjen having children in the bars. These aren't the charming toddlers from TS2, no, these are Uncanny Valley horrors crawling on the floor. Not surprising Sims are terrible parents and they leave their children on the floor to fend for themselves while they cry from hunger at parties, parties that go on late at night. It's just creepy.

Parties. They are awful. No food is served, no games, no anything. If your Sim takes a snack from a fridge, they're deemed as inappropriate and they can be asked to leave. Luckily I had grown my own apples and I had some in my backpack. LOL. The hosts tend to yawn a lot during the parties and they can go to bed in the middle of it, my Sims crashed one of those lame parties and was asked to leave by a townie in white undies. You can't make this **** up.

Alien abduction is back. I can't see the fun or quirkiness in this, it might be all the rage in some circles, to me it just feels so 50s and not the good kind. I might feel a bit miffed because one of my male sims got abducted and is now pregnant. Blergh. It isn't fun to have a freakish sim baby, it's a nightmare. If things go my way the social services will take it away and happiness can be restored. :twisted:
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby SIngemeister » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Dragon Age: Inquisition is pretty good. Gotten better since the assault on your first base. Elder One's pretty hype. Skyhold's also pretty hype. Gurguts and Dragonlings fulfil my love of giant lizards.

Spoiler: Now if only we get to be lizardmen in the next game.

SIngemeister

Postby Vivia » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:32 pm

Sim City 2000 is available for free for a brief time only on Origins! I have fond memories of the Sim City series. :)

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars remastered is still going strong. George Stobbart and Nico Collard are loveable characters, I have missed them. The remastered edition has added more depth to Nico's background and we switch between them during the game, the voice acting is lovely and it's such a relief to get away from the mass-produced "American" accents (Mass Effect, ah).

The Youtube app shows ads and there was this one trailer for a game named Destiny, I'll admit it was late and I might have been vulnerable due to The Shining, and omg, I clicked away the horror. Games like this remind why I'm not a nerd, I have some nerdy interests, but I have to draw a line with a game like Destiny and its nerd fantasy of what passes for awesome. It did have a motivational value, sometimes I feel like I don't have life and watch a trailer like that I feel assured that yes, I have one, it might be a pill-popping existence, but it's pretty good in all. It's like Jack Donaghy in that scene in 30 Rock when he desperately wanted a man around that weren't the TJS staff.

Jack Donaghy: I needed a man around and I finally had one.
:lol:
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby David Earle » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:41 pm

S'okay, you're still a nerd to us Viv. :lol: And I did download SimCity 2000 as soon as I saw the deal. Some other free games I picked up lately include Need for Speed 2, Spelunky, and The Binding of Issac on the Vita.

Haven't played them much yet because I'm still locked into Persona 4 Golden. I had to abandon the strategy guide except in dire circumstances because it was detracting from the fun of just screwing around in game - I'll follow the guide for my second playthrough, but not now. Well I completely missed the start of Kanji's social link so I'm still using it for the important things after the fact. Also, f*** the Contrarian King! Most annoying bonus boss in an RPG I've come across, and I went out of my way to fight Emerald Weapon.

I logged into World of Warcraft yesterday on a 10 day free trial, downloaded the Molten Corgi, showed my wife the cuteness, and logged out. I dropped the game in the doldrums of level 50 and never looked back. I did save up some gold for the new Goblins vs Gnomes collection in Hearthstone, but it's only kind of renewed my interest.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:47 am

Thanks to various sales surrounding the launch of Dragon Age: Inquisition, I've finally acquired cheap versions of DA:O, DA:O:A, and DA2. Have played my way through DA:O in about a week of many-hour nights, for all that as far as fantasy rpgs go, I found it fairly... bland, worldbuilding-wise. Still, well plotted and character-driven enough to see me through in a blitz. A solid, ejoyable game. Awakening is a stronger coda that I'm playing through now (though I had to restart halfway through due to a bug that erased all my gear, which was annoying, but)...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Finished up the massively enjoyable Dragon Age Inquisition today. What ending ending, so much is left open for various different DLCs.

Next on the list was a brief start on the second playthrough of The Walking Dead Season 2. That start breaks my heart.

After that I've knocked out episode 1 of Telltale Games Game of Thrones. Very much captures the feel of the show and had an absolute killer of an ending, can't wait to dive into the next episode when it arrives.

Finally I'm going to be jumping into Tales from the Borderlands, yet another title from Telltale. Should be good fun.
Major Rawne

Postby Xisor » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:58 pm

Almost finished Borderlands and two of the DLCs for it (Zombie Island of Doctor Ned & Armour of General Knoxx), which makes for the first properly, heavy-shooty game I've played through in a very long while.

And deary me - fun. It's a tad repetetive in places, but playing through with the girlfriend made it very entertaining. She was the Hunter, I a berzerker. In the end: I loved to punch.

Reminded me that I do rather enjoy the old video games. I'm keen to have another wee bash at the new content for The Old Republic and Star Trek Online. Especially the latter, as I bought a Nebula Class ship. It's long been one of my absolute favourites. (When I had an odd little proto-RP group/coalition of friends in the late digits and preteen years, I was very keen on doing a big Federation thing - it was perhaps the most in-principle boring thing kids have ever played at, but I was firmly in love with it: lots of science, lots of exploration, lots of logistics and organising and learning and training. Deary me. Perhaps unsurprising that my best mate at the time grew up to be a lawyer and me to suffer people sidestepping heated disputes by telling me I've missed my calling. Since those days, the Nebula was always one of my utter favourites. Seeing it [strictly, the USS Farragut NCC 60597, lost to Klingons in 2373 :ugeek: ] rescue survivors from the Enterprise D's saucer section has me cheering at least a little, every time!)

I digress. :lol:

Borderlands, quite decent. Keen to play the last of the DLC and hop on to the second game. Then the pre-sequel!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby sam vimes » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:50 am

A lot of fifa 15 the first football game I've played since world cup 98 on the N64, its actually quite good forgot how good it is to just simply enjoy and play a simply well done game.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:38 pm

Major Rawne wrote:Finished up the massively enjoyable Dragon Age Inquisition today. What ending ending, so much is left open for various different DLCs.

I hear tell that there's some sort of big reveal after the credits, to boot...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:
Major Rawne wrote:Finished up the massively enjoyable Dragon Age Inquisition today. What an ending, so much is left open for various different DLCs.

I hear tell that there's some sort of big reveal after the credits, to boot...

Oh yes there is. Blew my mind.
Major Rawne

Postby David Earle » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Started a second playthrough of Shin Megami Tensei IV last night, for no discernable reason other than wanting to hunt down or fuse more demons. I think I have a problem.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Lord of the Night » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:57 pm

David Earle wrote:Started a second playthrough of Shin Megami Tensei IV last night, for no discernable reason other than wanting to hunt down or fuse more demons. I think I have a problem.

I also have a problem. That game sounds awesome and I can't frickin' get it in my country.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby David Earle » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:20 am

Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Vivia » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:13 pm

I finished Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies over the holidays. It was in many ways better than the original trilogy but it had some lacking moment, overall good. It was nice playing as three different lawyers Apollo, Athena and Phoenix. Sometimes the extreme Japanese stereotypes and caricatures were a major annoyance, holy ****, cultural sensitivity is seriously lacking in the Japanese culture, but how much is too much. Another thing I care little for was the in my eyes unnecessary grim and dark tone towards the last case, a murder possibly committed by a child.
I decided to buy it in chapters and it wasn't cheap, the first case was so-so and I had my doubts. Oh well.
Hopefully we'll see all of the Ace Attorney games, including the ones with Apollo Justice, ported to iOS.

After AA:DD I decided to buy the last game in the Ace Attorney trilogy, Ace Attorney: Trials & Tribulations. The last case is somewhat creepy as it's set in an old temple, the music is different from the old upbeat tunes. It was really nice taking the role of Miles Edgeworth while Wright was in the hospital, so we played as the prosecutor turned defence attorney for a change.
I'm at Day Two - Investigation and the freaking game seems to be have a glitch and I'm unable to advance. Dangabit!
Vivia

Postby David Earle » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:45 pm

My old JROTC commander once said "The Japanese are so racist they can't stand other Asians." Which may not be entirely inaccurate, but is probably not the best thing to say in a high school. Not that anyone ever called him on it. (Speaking of cultural insensitivity, I watched a one-hour playthrough of Super Punch-Out!! by four Canadians, who acknowledge the game is super racist but still love Bear Hugger's syrup-chugging @$$.)

*ahem* ANYWAY, I'm still playing Persona 4 Golden. Holy CRAP that game is good. Most games wouldn't justify a console purchase, but this one sure did! I'm almost scared to go back and play Persona 3 now.
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Vivia » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:47 pm

Totally. They're the Asian equivalence of Argentina when it comes to nationalism. They are rightly hated by neighbouring countries, most recent hatred comes from their WWII invasions. Koreans in Japan are treated very poorly and Koreans are their cultural cousins, it's messed up.
For example there is extremely dubious crap in some Yaoi fiction regarding Catholic imaginary, I'm like zero percent religious and Catholicism is very low in my list, but I scream blasphemy when I see it. Everything outside their culture is treated as alien to the extreme, if they can fetishes it will be done and will leave us, the Others, scarred for life. It's not surprising that villains are usually blond or any other hair colour. Not the best place for aliens if they decide to visit our planet. I love Japanese culture but it's blended with a certain amount of sadness.
The only thing that saves Ace Attorney is the light-hearted humour even during very serious moments.

(Another one that is saved by the humour is Gintama, it satirises everything and everyone in equal measures.)
Vivia

Postby Athelassan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:42 pm

Finally got back into Team Fortress 2 after about five years away. I'd forgotten how much fun it can be. The game has changed a bit in the meanwhile, of course: there's now a much wider variety of weapons available, the meta has changed a bit, the quality of players of some classes has improved enormously (most notably, scouts and soldiers) and there's a veneer of tosserish snobbiness in some parts, although that was probably always there.

But I'm still enjoying it. I've always felt that if you take this game seriously you're doing it wrong, anyway.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:30 am

Alien Isolation: tense as all hell in places, and they've got the look -and sound- spot on.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:54 am

Closing in on the ending of Dragon Age: Inquisition. Considering how massive the side areas are, I'm honestly somewhat surprised by... just how short the main mission quest line is, now that I've wrapped up (aaalmost) every other possible side quest.

Bioware certainly can spin a character tale.
Mossy Toes

Postby sam vimes » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:20 pm

So I downloaded Rome TW:II again with all the patches and its so apparent they put there heart and souls into the details of this game but it's just so poorly executed, battles are so bloody boring and what happend to me being able to group my units in there own formation? instead I have to follow a bunch of pre done formations, look a bit of research and yeah the romans did use many of these but I'm the general God-Emperor damn it they form up how I decide as the pre done formations collapse so damn quick , the buildings in the towns great detailing and what they do but well to be frank people have sex like crazy back then so why does it take so long for a town to expand to the next size needed for further urban development oh and seriously keep the growth rates separate not across the province as towns will grow at different rates, hamstrung does not adequately explain how I feel while trying to expand swiftly.

Please please please remove the sodding food system forgive me but whilst yes populaces need food its still so bloody draconion in this game and the bloody attrition system!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: seriously I spent a TURN in the mountains NOT TO FAR from central Italy and quarter of my army dies?!! erm no no no no that makes no sense I refuse to believe that one of the biggest empires to ever exist did not know how to keep there troops fit, fed and warm/cool whilst on a campaign to an adequate degree to keep death from the elements down to an acceptable degree, going back to rome total war one and medieval 2.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic