What are you playing?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: What are you playing?

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:30 am

Darkest Dungeon, a Cthulhoid game where you have returned home to the corrupted hamlet and ruined estate of your family, where you drive a stable of heroes into the darkness--driving them to madness for meager material gains, only to shuck them aside as soon as they are too riddled by disease, phobia and mania to be of any further use to you.

A fantastic exercise in tone and atmosphere. By the late game, many hours in, the combat is all a bit dull and repetitive, having seen the half dozen missions on offer in the three areas many times each, recycled bosses and all--but this game is quite punishing and unforgiving. Still Early Access, but quite immersive. The game launch cinematic and the campaign intro cinematic both send shivers down my spine...
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby David Earle » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:43 pm

That's not even finished yet, right? Heard it was early access.

I'm trying lots of things off and on. Persona 4 Arena is pretty good. Deception 4: Blood Ties is kind of a take on Dungeon Keeper without the freemium crap. And then there's Danganronpas!
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:Still Early Access, but quite immersive.

David Earle wrote:That's not even finished yet, right? Heard it was early access.

*clears throat*

No, it's definitely only half finished. It's pretty crisp and clean and functional in the areas they let you access... but 2/5 of the map (including the titular "Darkest Dungeon" itself) are still blocked off, and like I said, the late-game turns into a repetitive grind, with the only sense of progression being the slow and gradual upgrading of your hamlet's buildings, and fighting higher-HP versions of the same bosses.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:38 am

I completed Alien Isolation and consider it one of my top five -if not top three- favourite video games. Atmosphere, obvious love of source, imagination, storyline, scares - all are top-notch. It's very slightly buggy (characters don't always look at you when talking, sometimes their lips don't even move (let alone move in sinc), objects' positions aren't always properly recorded after a save resulting in the odd floating gun or two), but nothing that at all deters from great overall enjoyment. It is a superb homage. Now playing the Nostromo add-on, which, to quote Tank, is quite a thrill :D .
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Vivia » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:17 am

I finished playing Syberia 1 part 2 from Big Fish Games. I also own the GOG.com version but it's a bit dated, I found the game play harder to follow, and the BFG is updated. The only thing is that the BFG version is divided into three parts.

Syberia chapter 2 was a chore to play. The story is set in a train station, a garden and a university, vast areas that needed constant running back and forth, I got a tension headache from the strain of keeping focus. The gorgeous graphic helps a tiny bit, but it's also hard to enjoy because the places were devoid of life; the university should had been blazing with students and people and there were around six people in total. Talk about a missed opportunity. Really odd move, The Longest Journey paid a lot of detail to this and it had voices and sound effects to give the surroundings more dimension, and it's an older game.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Athelassan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:32 pm

I'm giving Crusader Kings II a go, following the Steam sale and lots of chatter about it from other internet contacts of mine. I haven't quite got to grips with it yet, I think: I find that there are fair stretches of time where you find yourself twiddling your thumbs and waiting for something to happen. If there isn't a war on and all your vassals are reasonably content then as far as I can tell there's not really a huge amount to do, since you don't directly control building or economics (which also makes it hard to boost your revenue stream). Normally I'd be reasonably happy to blow off the economics side of things most of the time but it would be nice to have a bit more control. Meanwhile the system for managing vassals is at times a little clunky so when you have a lot of them it can be hard to deal with, particularly when you suddenly get a huge realm expansion which brings several under your control at once (and if that also comes with a default increase in your own demesne size, which annoys all your vassals).

For a game which aims to model the vassal/liege relationship there are also a couple of frustrating features. For instance, I managed to lure a senior French prince to my court and made him a marcher duke, but then he ended up unexpectedly inheriting the French throne and suddenly I had a chunk of French land in the way of my expansion: there was no recognition that in respect of those regions he was still my vassal. Likewise, when I got shafted (for the second time) by gavelkind succession and I lost all control over one of my counties despite holding it in my own name and still being shown as the lord of that county in-game.

Some of the intrigue is also a bit frustrating: while there are dangers in a system which makes assassination too easy, here it's far too hard, requiring a plot lasting years and up to dozens of plotters (any one of whom could give the game away) and still you have no say in whether an assassination attempt actually gets made. So if you have a troublesome vassal you have no choice but to hope you discover they're plotting against you before you can take action (without annoying your other vassals). Meanwhile NPCs are free to bump your guys off with relative impunity, although to be fair that doesn't happen all that often.

All that said I am enjoying the game.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby sam vimes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:56 pm

Playing RTWII and mount and blade warband in rtw2 I control a large chunk of the world but my name is mud in the senate (this ALWAYS happens to me lol) currently pushing into the uk the iceni are quite bloody well entrenched so I'm being sneaky and taking over the SE tip of the uk as thats got a teeny little barbarian faction that I'm going to crush isn't imperialism nice?

Mount and blade warband I'm playing a mod called sword of damocles on it really adds to the game in terms of faction sizes, map size and lots of other bits I again occupy a very large chunk and have reached such a size in terms of military power no bugger is picking a fight with me :( so it's time to take my staggering amount of lords and troops and go to war.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Vivia » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:25 am

The Room 2:

The mystery continues, the player starts somewhere unknown. No evening gaming this time, I'm not sure I dare play on the pad. Great news: the game app is for both devices, for the princely sum of 29 sek. Terrific.

Freenium game, Agent Alice:

Nothing out of the ordinary other than crispier graphics and music, the focus is on visuals rather than characters. The usual repetitive play mode of Hidden Object games. I like the night scenery, a whiff of film noir.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Vivia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:04 pm

Found on Twitter:
Prescription Pixel at GDC 2015 (Game Developers Convention) has a really cool survey about mental health and gaming, I already participated. It's short and easy, doesn't take more than 5-10 minutes.

Survey
Vivia

Postby Vivia » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:17 pm

The Room 2:

I really don't want to be a curmudgeon, but I'm not feeling the love for TR2. It's a longer game than the first so there is more to it, kind of. With kind of I mean it could be if it had more meat on it and it hasn't, beautiful graphics apart.
First, the elusive and mysterious scholar known as "A.S" is virtually gone, he makes a small appearance in the beginning and that's that. This sucks big time, his writing created a lot of ambience in the game, in this game there is an empty feeling that is only filled with visuals and more visuals. Since the game is longer the puzzles become repetitive, that's what the first game did so well in avoiding this little problem. So without A.S we just get empty mysterious levels that fill no purpose, at least to me; there is no feeling of wonderment for the things we see, it's mostly unexplained. Really, I don't mind unexplained mysteries but there has to be a background to this, A.S narrative gave us a foundation that something was out of this world strange. Here I feel more like "so what?" when I read a note about experiments, they mean nothing. Using electricity to animate dead limbs, have anyone read Frankenstein? It's been done to death.
Unusually for me but I'm considering getting a refund, not due to it being a bad game but it's an empty game that says nothing.

Winner of the week:

In my relentless search for iOS games I found this gem, Who is the Killer? Gorgeous game in water colour paintings, it's an homage to British murder mysteries, it has an all-British cast of characters. I'm on chapter two and the first two chapters cost 9 SEK, third chapter is 19 SEK.
Not surprising it's by a Russian developer; I have played so many iOS games with either Russian or Eastern European developers so I expect bleak and grim-dark, whenever I see such names I'm taking the game.
This game delivers, it's set in Victorian times, but leans towards Gothic with a fatalistic moody feeling through the narrative, it shows in the game play: the player can't accuse the murderer until several murders have occurred and if you fail you'll become a victim. First time it happened to me I was taken aback, I was expecting a half-arsed Big Fish Game plot, but Who Is the Killer was serious. The game is challenging and the player has to use their time wisely, time is measured in coffee cups, if those cups run out then a new day starts and that means a new casualty. Wonderful stuff.
Available for most devices. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pixonic.whoisthekiller
Vivia

Postby David Earle » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Tried some of those games I linked to earlier. Two Dots installed successfully but started crashing for no reason around level 11. Uninstalled.

Puzzles & Dragons took me three tries to install, then crashed while it was trying to create my player profile. Uninstalled.

Badlands never installed. Not enough space on my phone (a bald lie).

My upgrade next month can't come soon enough...

I've mostly been too busy to game. When I do have time, I'm usually playing Persona Q.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Vivia » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:17 pm

After the iOS 8.2 update my iphone has been going crazy, it shuts off games and what nots. Good thing about it was that with the latest update for Who Is the Killer the developers made the games available for free, they didn't charge me. :)

Edit: They did charge me. AND after the latest update it became a %&# freenium game. WTF. Despite me buying the game i play now as a freenium player which means if I want to advance I better pay. So they took the money of those who bought the game and turned it into a free game, I have never ever seen anything like this. I'll make a complaint to Apple support about it because this in my opinion falls into shady business, I don't care I paid a low price. :evil:

Meat Loaf- Life is a lemon (I want my money back)
Last edited by Vivia on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivia

Postby Morning Soul » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:41 pm

Just got a copy of Blood Bowl. I iz happy.
Morning Soul

Postby Vivia » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:40 pm

I have received refunds for The Room 2 and Dream Chronicle: The Book of Air, for DC:TBoA it was a honest mistake, I thought it was the second game in the series and it turned out it was the fourth, so thank you, Apple support.

For Who is the Killer? I have to wait 14 days after my purchase to get a refund, I'll leave a review to tell about the dubious business decisions. It's a shame because I was going to give it glowing praise. I'm really happy iTunes keeps high standards and isn't quite a sock yarn club, but things like this are so annoying. :x
Vivia

Postby Vivia » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:17 am

Yay, I was queen of refund yesterday and managed to get a refund of WitK, Apple made an exception for me as they agreed it was an odd move from the developer. I wrote a letter to the developer telling them that this was a dubious business move from their side, not an angry mail, and that it wasn't about money for me because the quality of the game is superb. I love indie games, the majority of my apps and PC games are indie, and these kind of decisions do more harm than good. I'm fully aware that developers try to make money, but there must be better ways of doing it.
Vivia

Postby Vivia » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:57 pm

iOS games begone.

I decided to go back to play Laura Bow: The Colonel's Bequest! I love this game so much it's ridiculous.
The reason for my nostalgia comes from having watched THREE different Let's Plays by three different gamers, they found so many unknown things to me I had to go back and play it myself. Since I grew up with NES and Commadore 64 I always marvel at the ingenious adventure games of the late '80s and 90s.
They're so shock-full of the things we could only dream about for NES, the graphics and colours are beautiful, the puzzles are mind-boggling at times.
Vivia

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:39 am

Re-installed the still-gorgeous Homeworld 2 (especially on the 32" TV I can now use as a monitor), added the Complex 9 mod... and now have to remember how to play. ;)
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby David Earle » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:52 am

Horus Heresy: Drop Assault. Ehh... the gist of the game is you spend fake money/resources to upgrade your troops, then send them in to auto-fight enemy bases to get more resources to upgrade more troops, and of course there's premium Mechanicum Coins that you can use to do everything faster.

The nice bits are that it's set on Istvaan and amounts to Saul Tarvitz vs Angron. Seriously, Angron runs the tutorial if you choose the Chaos side. And you get to see what Tarvitz looks like. If you have an iPhone I recommend running through the tutorial and that's it.
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Fenris » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:47 am

Pillars of eternity

It's 1998 and i'm playing Baldur's Gate once again :lol: And that's not a bad thing

Also,writing this just made me feel old :(
Thrusting his thunder hammer into the sky, he shouted—so that all could hear "Primarch.Progenitor, to your glory!"
"And to the glory of Him on Earth!" his brothers bellowed in response
-
A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked
Fenris

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:07 am

Pillars of Eternity was a fun one, but stronghold felt like a wasted opportunity. They're talking about DLC to enliven it a bit, and add a new quest hub or two, but... I feel like my experience was pretty complete, especially after clearing the Endless Paths of Od Nua and killing the Master Below (though it did one-shot 5/6ths of my party, less my tank, a few times before I managed to beat it). A rather harder fight than the final fight against Thaos, if I may say so myself...

Thaos ix Arcannon, Grandmaster of the Leaden Key, Favored of Woedica. Makes for a decently compelling antagonist, he does.
Mossy Toes

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic