The Film Review Corner

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Film Review Corner

Postby Bane Of Kings » Tue May 17, 2011 10:28 am

Escape To Victory: Great POW WW2 film. Shame that all the German Footballers are actually played by English actors, but ah well :(.

Also, this is how you should put an all-star cast together. Michael Caine, Stallone, Pele (Football), Bobby Moore (Football), Max Von Sydow (He seems to be in a lot of films that I've watched recently ;)).

Favourite Quote:
[just before the football match]
Hatch: Where do I stand for a corner kick?
Colby: At the far post, facing the ball.
Hatch: Thanks. For a while there I thought you were keeping it a secret.

Solomon Kane: A fantastic fantasy movie, and is defiantly a must see for it is fast becoming one of my favourite films.

Favourite Quote: "If I kill you, I am Bound for hell. It is a price I shall gladly pay." And, "There are many paths to Redemptation. Not all of them are peaceful."

Hopefully I should be seeing Pirates of the Caribbean 4 upon its release and Attack The Block. (If anyone's got any reviews about ATB, or PotC 4, that would be extremely helpful indeed).
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby Pipitán » Thu May 19, 2011 1:20 am

Just finished watching Magnolia.

Unbelievably epic film.

Might say more when less tired/shell-shocked by staggeringly original and powerful filmmaking.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden on my story 'Sating Desire'
Pipitán

Postby zAngle » Thu May 19, 2011 2:20 am

Anyone see the priest yet?
You can find my blog at troubledscribe.wordpress.com
zAngle

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:20 am

Its gonna be a toss-up for me this week - Pirates 4 or Priest or just sitting at home and playing WoW while I still have some free gametime.

Saw the trailers for Priest and it looks REALLY good. My only problem with both the new movies is that they are in 3D and therefore I have to pay a ridiculous extra 67% for a ticket.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby greywulf » Thu May 19, 2011 9:19 am

My reviews of Attack the Block and On Stranger Tides are up on the blog - 24fps
Just Beyond Infinity
Movie, Comic, Book and Film Reviews, Views, Opinions And Comments
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Postby The Hillock » Thu May 19, 2011 5:35 pm

As far as Preist is concerned, I'm quite excited, I enjoyed Legion (same director, same lead actor (Bettany), bodes well) but I absolutely HATE 3D (it gives me a headache) so now I have to wait for DVD to watch it (as my local multiplex only does 2D showings of 3D films during the day on weekdays when I'm at work.

Pirates 4 - well, it can't be any worse than Pirates 3 can it??
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby Falkenhayn » Thu May 19, 2011 9:39 pm

The Wrath wrote:Pirates 4 - well, it can't be any worse than Pirates 3 can it??

Didn't people say something to that effect about Pirates 3?
Falkenhayn

Postby Firefox » Fri May 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Pipitán wrote:Just finished watching Magnolia.

Unbelievably epic film.

Might say more when less tired/shell-shocked by staggeringly original and powerful filmmaking.

I completely agree.
Firefox

Postby The Hillock » Fri May 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Falkenhayn wrote:
The Wrath wrote:Pirates 4 - well, it can't be any worse than Pirates 3 can it??

Didn't people say something to that effect about Pirates 3?

Curse you and your unstoppable logic...

Hillock's terrain thread
The Hillock

Postby Ghurlag » Tue May 24, 2011 10:24 pm

I've just finished rewatching this, so I thought I'd mention Die Welle (The Wave). Very interesting film about the mechanisms of fascism and the way we form groups. The film doesn't stick precisely to the true events it's based on, but I think it sticks to the message of the experiment, and where it strays it does so for dramatic effect. I first watched it in a history class, on the topic of Nazism, and I think it definitely ties in well with that subject.

If you hurry, you can catch it on iPlayer. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t6xzz/The_Wave/

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby greywulf » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:52 am

Review of "The Hangover Part Two" now on my blog!
Just Beyond Infinity
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Postby Pipitán » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Just saw X-Men: First Class. I've not seen any of the other X-Men films (or read the comics, etc.), so I went in with a completely open mind, not really knowing what to expect.

And I must say, I was very impressed. It's an incredibly slick film - the pace is blistering and never lets up, and propels the narrative forward into a spectacular climax that had me spellbound. I haven't enjoyed a film at the cinema this much since Inception.

The acting is also rather good, especially from the two leads. Fassbender is excellent, and James McAvoy made every scene he was in simply a joy to watch (and he's in practically the whole movie). The relationship between these two forms the crux of the film, and is very well done. Not knowing the X-Men universe, I had no idea how it was going to play out, and so was genuinely moved by the ending. They also play chess whilst having philosophical discussions, which I found rather awesome.

My only niggle would be that there are a few tiny plotholes (such as some nuclear energy just vanishing at one point), but the story is so confidently and powerfully told it sweeps you up, and only afterwards did I realise there were some small logical fallacies.

So yeah, overall cracking good film, best of 2011 so far in my opinion, and I would heartily recommend it.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
Pipitán

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:08 am

Chess huh. Well as it so happens at the end of X3 Last Stand -

Spoiler: Magneto tries to play chess all by his lonesom without the use of his powers (he had lost them in the climax) like in that scene from Independence Day between the scientist hero and his dad

Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Pipitán » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:13 am

Well, as I say, I haven't seen X3, but in my view that just makes the chess thing in First Class even better, as it's referencing the thing in X3 (chess throughout First Class kinda represents Magneto's and Professor X's friendship, and I'm assuming their friendship is pretty... rocky by the end of X3).
Pipitán

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 am

Indeed, its the little things like that definitely contribute to the overall film :)

shadowhawk2008

Postby Pipitán » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:57 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Indeed, its the little things like that definitely contribute to the overall film :)

Definitely.

Oh, something I forgot to mention in my initial review; the score is interesting. It's interesting because it's very good (it's powerful, engaging, enhances the action in all the right places, etc.), however it is pretty much an exact copy of the Inception score, albeit slightly subtler.
Pipitán

Postby The Hillock » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:12 am

The Wrath has recently watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and thought it to be a highly engaging premise that has been well directed, acted and produced that, if it has any downsides, steals just a little bit too much from Forrest Gump (same writer) and is just a tad (maybe 15 minutes) too long. I'd give it 8.5/10.

Hillock's terrain thread
The Hillock

Postby flick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Stakeland - A decent vampire film again, wahey! Eight out of ten.

The woman - Very messed up, but..potent. Nine out of ten.
flick

Postby greywulf » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:30 am

My reivew of X Men First Class!
Just Beyond Infinity
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Postby Xisor » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:50 am

X-Men: First Class

I found it to be thoroughly enjoyable. Soundtrack was a bit weak (unmemorable), at least as of having been away from the film for ~7 hours. Some of the acting was off (oddly felt Erik and Mystique were the serious weak-links, considering the loathesome Doritos Friends scene in the first half).

Moreover, for such a not-coming-outright-and-saying-it subtle film, a brick ton of things were seriously hammed up for Erik where they were beautifully understated or hit head-on for Charles (and Emma). Some of the bits of dialogues, for example, simply didn't need their second half. I'm almost fully convinced ~99% of the audience would have got the final implication without the word 'magneto' ever having been said.

Moreover, I think it's highly telling in the cinema release that there were a few connecting scenes missing. Or deserved, at worst.

Don't doubt me, it's a proper 4/5 film, highly enjoyable and surprisingly moving to watch unfold, but it put me seriously in mind of Warseer's deconstruction of X3:The Last Stand, wherein a near flawless case was made for the X-Men themselves being the villains. As much as anything, the idea of being 'G-men' rather than 'Hero-men' or 'Justice-men' repels me to the core.

Perhaps it's clever, perhaps it's a consequence of the creation, but I find X-Men polarises people very quickly indeed.

Also the knowledge that Beast grows up to become Frasier is near priceless.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic