The Film Review Corner

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Film Review Corner

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:13 pm

It's been around for a while, but I've only just watched it: Brotherhood of the Wolf. High quality Hammer-ish The Hound of the Baskervilles meets martial-arts in -just-about- pre-Revolution France. Beautiful to look at (it is very French), good enough FX, good acting, with a few surprising side-steps in the plot. Recommended. (And it's not the werewolf film I always thought it was prior to watching.)
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Green River » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:00 am

Ghurlag wrote:I've just finished rewatching this, so I thought I'd mention Die Welle (The Wave). Very interesting film about the mechanisms of fascism and the way we form groups. The film doesn't stick precisely to the true events it's based on, but I think it sticks to the message of the experiment, and where it strays it does so for dramatic effect. I first watched it in a history class, on the topic of Nazism, and I think it definitely ties in well with that subject.

If you hurry, you can catch it on iPlayer. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t6xzz/The_Wave/

Hey, Ghur. I've been at home with no internet access, so I haven't been able to respond sooner, but I took your advice and downloaded Die Welle to the neat little desktop iPlayer and took it home to watch. I have to say I was gripped the whole way through, even though the execution was a tad clunky and didn't really show how the authoritarianism developed in the group members. I'm also shocked that you say it was based on a true event, I did not know that!

P.S. Just Wiki'd the actual experiment, and it struck me that no one involved was shot or killed; it's perhaps revealing of the German aversion to fascism today that the director/producers felt it necessary to have someone killed in the fiction and the experiment leader arrested, when in reality none of this happened.
Green River

Postby Ghurlag » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:50 am

Glad you enjoyed it, GR. I found that to be the most striking inconsistency, too - done for dramatic effect, of course, but I'd have thought what actually happened (with the blank tv channel) would've been good enough - the real psychological impact comes from the success of the indoctrination, after all.

I also found it odd they changed certain details like the salute used (I believe it was originally a claw-type thing), which seem reasonably trivial and without any real cause for alteration. Still, like you say, the execution mightn't the best, but the film's concept is gripping enough to keep you watching. One of the things which interested me about the story was the extremely short timeframe involved - less than a week from the first class to the rally.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby greywulf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:51 am

The live action Green Lantern's out next friday, so I did a warm up review of First Flight, the animated Green Lantern movie, on my blog
Just Beyond Infinity
Movie, Comic, Book and Film Reviews, Views, Opinions And Comments
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:54 am

greywulf wrote:The live action Green Lantern's out next friday, so I did a warm up review of First Flight, the animated Green Lantern movie, on my blog

Just read it, will respond later when i have access to my laptop in the evening but its a good one.

Wouldn't recommend emerald knights though unless you want to do it for completeness' sake.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Pipitán » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:10 pm

Yesterday I watched Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 in quick succession, and I found it to be a very interesting experience.

First of all, I deeply enjoyed it - at no point during the four hours was I bored. However, I do think that, on their own, each movie fails to be a good movie.

Vol. 1 has very little plot, too much action, little character development and is very much style over substance.

Vol. 2, on the other hand, has far too much plot and character development, and not enough action.

But when combined, and viewed as one single film, they balance each other out, and the whole thing makes for, in my opinion, a truly great film. I think that although obviously splitting it in two maximised profits, Tarantino made a huge mistake in not sticking with his original concept of having a four hour long film with a short intermission (or even just being brutal and cutting it down to three or two and a half hours). Because as one film, the structure just works. As two, it just doesn't.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden on my story 'Sating Desire'
Pipitán

Postby greywulf » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:37 pm

Not a review, but still, its movie related and awesome!
Paolo Rivera, comic book artist master has designed a retro poster for Captain America! And its damn cool!
Just Beyond Infinity
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Postby Insomniac » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Pipitán wrote:Yesterday I watched Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 in quick succession, and I found it to be a very interesting experience.

First of all, I deeply enjoyed it - at no point during the four hours was I bored. However, I do think that, on their own, each movie fails to be a good movie.

Vol. 1 has very little plot, too much action, little character development and is very much style over substance.

Vol. 2, on the other hand, has far too much plot and character development, and not enough action.

But when combined, and viewed as one single film, they balance each other out, and the whole thing makes for, in my opinion, a truly great film. I think that although obviously splitting it in two maximised profits, Tarantino made a huge mistake in not sticking with his original concept of having a four hour long film with a short intermission (or even just being brutal and cutting it down to three or two and a half hours). Because as one film, the structure just works. As two, it just doesn't.

In the end, C.R.E.A.M. (Cash Rules Everything Around Me if you're not a Wu-Tang fan). I know from a personal stand point that if I sit down to watch Kill Bill I watch them together because a.) the flow is so much better and b.) four hours of Uma.
Insomniac

Postby greywulf » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:08 pm

A teaser poster for The Avengers has arrived!

I'm even more excited then ever now for this film!!!
Just Beyond Infinity
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Postby greywulf » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:19 pm

I watched Green Lantern yesterday, and I rather enjoyed it! My review is here
Just Beyond Infinity
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:56 pm

The Green Lantern: high-class hokum, with a killer colour-scheme the necron would be proud of. The lead's not quite up there with the downy junior, but he's not far off. Does what it says on the tin and does it cheerfully. I deliberately opted for the 2D version as most any 3D film I've seen has seemed leeched of colour.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Pipitán » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Aye, I was forced to see Kung Fu Panda 2 with the family in 3D as the 2D screening was sold out (this is hopefully a good sign), and the image was horribly dark and irritating, and I'm sure the action sequences would have been just a beautifully animated in 2D.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
Pipitán

Postby Maugan Ra » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Well, I managed to watch X-men: First Class recently. And it's really, really good. Presents a young Charles Xavier in a believable and familiar way (as in, you can watch it, and easily see the first few hints of the Patrick Stewart fellow he's going to become in the latter chronology, but the cues aren't forced down your throat), and the young Magneto is rather good as well. The two of them make the pair's early friendship look genuine as well.

The villains of the piece, in the form of the Hellfire Club and their leader Shaw, do a fine job as well. Near the midpoint of the film, the villains go on the offensive, and they do so in rather brilliantly menacing fashion - you really do get a sense of how justified some of the characters in later films are when they fear the possible threat posed by mutant-kind.

Spoiler: Ironically, it turns out that Magneto is the one who founds the X-men proper. Prior to that, they'd been an experimental mutant unit of the CIA, but Shaw and his cohorts storm the agency facility housing them and murder the non-mutant goons in rather brutal fashion. As an example.... turns out a teleporter can be very dangerous when they get creative

The film uses the Cold War and the Cuban Missile Crisis as a framing device, and overall I'd have to say that they do a good job. I'd seriously recommend seeing this film, as it's genuinely a fine piece of film making.

Oh, and Mystique is a fantastic character.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby greywulf » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:22 am

Chun the Unavoidable wrote:I deliberately opted for the 2D version as most any 3D film I've seen has seemed leeched of colour.

The screen I watched it on was brand new and very bright. The colours were amazing, for the first time ever. But I still wouldnt recommend watching it in 3D, even in those circumstances.
Just Beyond Infinity
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Postby greywulf » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:28 am

Maugan Ra wrote:The villains of the piece, in the form of the Hellfire Club and their leader Shaw, do a fine job as well.

I agree that Bacon is great, but Frost and the whirlwind guy are horrendous I think. January Jones is even worse then Halle Berry in the first X-Men, and whirlwind guy doesn't even get a line to speak. I think they probablly could have picked more interesting characters, especially whirlwind guy, who doesn't seem to contribute that much to Shaw's scheme. Azazel is interesting, though. Its good that

Spoiler: Nightcrawler's mum (Mystique) and dad (Azazel) end up on the same team at the end of the movie

, which I thought was a nice touch. That particular character was a stand out in the original trilogy, I think.
Just Beyond Infinity
Oh No! Dad's In Charge
Adventures in parenting
greywulf

Postby Pipitán » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:00 am

Just saw Eraserhead. Jesus Christ. I can think of very little else to say, apart from the fact that it's a fantastic film, and probably the most surreal film I have ever seen, bar none (it makes Donnie Darko look like a romantic comedy).
Pipitán

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:26 pm

The Lady in the Radiator. Kicking cooked chicken that tastes just like regular chicken. A malformed baby that, surely, was never anything to do with humanity. A constant thumping industrial soundscape. A bleak industrial landscape that oppresses everyone within it. And all, of course, done in absolutely necessary grainy black and white.

Eraserhead is peerless. Lynch has been weird since (and thank God), but never this weird. If you watch it, you'll be thinking about it for days afterword. Archetypal. I even have the t-shirt.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Pipitán » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:55 pm

Chun the Unavoidable wrote:The Lady in the Radiator. Kicking cooked chicken that tastes just like regular chicken. A malformed baby that, surely, was never anything to do with humanity. A constant thumping industrial soundscape. A bleak industrial landscape that oppresses everyone within it. And all, of course, done in absolutely necessary grainy black and white.

Eraserhead is peerless. Lynch has been weird since (and thank God), but never this weird. If you watch it, you'll be thinking about it for days afterword. Archetypal. I even have the t-shirt.

A nice summation.

The hour long documentary that came with it on the DVD is also pretty weird. It's basically just Lynch sitting there talking for an hour. He goes off on the most glorious tangents, and, despite his obvious genius, he is very clearly not quite sane. He says things like "For me, the reasoning behind the Lady in the Radiator is simple; the radiator is warm, so of course that's where she'd live," and "I once saw some woody woodpecker toys hanging in a shop, and they looked to be in such pain I just had to buy all six of them. I drove around with them on the back seat of my car for several years," all with the complete earnestness.

Something else that I think is truly bizarre, is that apparently after seeing Eraserhead, George Lucas approached David Lynch to direct The Return of the Jedi, but Lynch declined as he didn't think he'd have enough creative control.
Pipitán

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:58 pm

I wasn't that happy with X-men First Class.

Actually I thought it kinda was rubbish. It would in no way be a film I'd object to seeing on TV and it wasn't the craptastrophe of X3 (The Last Stand) but still.

The only saving grace was that Xavier and Erik were actually fairly charismatic and interesting leads to have propelling the story (though Erik sounded increasingly Irish the more Magnetoy he became) and Bacon was a decent over the top villain.

The film had no depth to it, so many characters had no or little lines, the audience was just meant to buy into relationships and set ups because they were there with little/no development. The Hellfire Club was wasted as a resource and concept in favour for Austin Powers Submarine fun. MacTaggert barely got a line once the mutants turned up she just lingered by the side. They mentioned "the children of the atom" and "a world that hates and fears us" in conversation but there was no exploration or actual development of it (for one Shaw knows that Mutants predate the expansion of nuclear power and useage being old come the 1940s so where does his logic come into it). I know we all know the world fears and hates mutants in the end, I know that the civil rights agenda and what not suggests it isn't an outlandish theory to hold and be wary of exposing yourselves as mutants (all the mutants seem aware of this and struggle to fit in because of it after all) but the conviction the anti-Humans had was amazing and it was only really Erik with his nazi persecution who had any grounds to think that way.

Also the entirity of the Xavier/Erik friendship which is what is meant to provide the pathos at the end seemed to occur mostly in montage form. (to a lesser extent the drama of Raven's choice was also diminished by the poor handling of her characters story).

I don't know if they were trying to do to much, have too many characters or what but I felt underwhelmed by it all which I didn't by Thor which had no where near the amount of action scenes or even cool stylish bits but instead had heart and told a decent story with gusto.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Insomniac » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 am

Pipitán wrote:Just saw Eraserhead. Jesus Christ. I can think of very little else to say, apart from the fact that it's a fantastic film, and probably the most surreal film I have ever seen, bar none (it makes Donnie Darko look like a romantic comedy).

If you enjoyed Eraserhead but thought it wasn't perverse enough I highly recommend tracking down Tetsuo. The first one, not the sequel / prequel-sequel.
Insomniac

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic