The Film Review Corner

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Film Review Corner

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:56 am

Pipitán wrote:The hour long documentary that came with it on the DVD is also pretty weird. It's basically just Lynch sitting there talking for an hour. He goes off on the most glorious tangents, and, despite his obvious genius, he is very clearly not quite sane. He says things like "For me, the reasoning behind the Lady in the Radiator is simple; the radiator is warm, so of course that's where she'd live," and "I once saw some woody woodpecker toys hanging in a shop, and they looked to be in such pain I just had to buy all six of them. I drove around with them on the back seat of my car for several years," all with the complete earnestness.

Something else that I think is truly bizarre, is that apparently after seeing Eraserhead, George Lucas approached David Lynch to direct The Return of the Jedi, but Lynch declined as he didn't think he'd have enough creative control.

I once saw him interviewed by Jonathon Ross, during which he swore blind that the bird in Blue Velvet was real, and got quite hurt when Ross kept insisting it wasn't. I've heard about Lynch's almost-connection with RotJ. Many consider it the best of the Star Wars films. Just think what it could have been if Lynch had directed it :o :shock: !
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Insomniac » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:30 am

Dennis Hopper as the Emperor. 8-)

I'd actually like Star Wars then, haha.
Insomniac

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:21 pm

greywulf wrote: Its good that

Spoiler: Nightcrawler's mum (Mystique) and dad (Azazel) end up on the same team at the end of the movie

, which I thought was a nice touch. That particular character was a stand out in the original trilogy, I think.

I didn't know that!!! That's an amazing piece of background methinks :)
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Ghurlag » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:04 pm

I'd join schafe in his evaluation of Xmen: First Class as being a bit pants.

My cinema-exit impression of the movie was one of tempered disappointment - many of the characters seemed to be underdeveloped and thrown in for the simple hell of it - All of 'the bad guys' bar Frost and Shaw seemed completely lacking in any substance (and hers wasn't what you'd call the greatest). The X-Men team was too quickly put together for me to gain any attachment to them -

Spoiler: Darwin, for example, died in what was basically his second scene in the movie - I'd only just found out what his mutation was. The Butterfly Girl changing sides had no effect on me, because I had no idea whether that was meant to be in or out of character, I had no connection built up to her.

I also felt that the plot was somewhat lacking. Shaw's plan is essentially Magneto's plan from the first movie, albiet a lot less conscientious. That came over as lazy to me. Magneto as a successor to Shaw seemed poorly executed -

Spoiler: he's been hunting and hating this man for years, so why does he immediately adopt Shaw's philosophy upon his death? Are we expected to accept a Magneto who doesn't develop as a character over the next forty or so years, but constantly perpetuates the ideas of a man who killed his mother? A lot of that alteration could at least have been showed in a flash-forward, and I think would've helped it all go down. Tied into this, I also felt the story was very rushed - perhaps a result of trying to do too much.

Oh, before I forget: Charles acts like a complete tool at Shaw's death. Screaming 'NO' at Erik killing the man who he has a pretty strong motivation to kill, in a situation where killing him is the safest solution to a problem? Tooly tooly tool. I'm glad someone shot him.

The only thing that endeared me to the film was (the majority of) Charles' interactions with Raven and Erik, which I thought were dealt with in a reasonable manner, and showed some actual character background and buildup.

It felt very much like this was a great idea being poorly executed.

As the misty veil of Albion is cast aside, we turn our gaze to the war-torn island of Albany, where the Red King vies with his former master for the control of a realm in dire threat.
Ghurlag

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:40 pm

actually

Spoiler: Darwin's death seemed all the more painful to the film as a whole because in that one seen when he told Havok what to do and tried to save Angel showed far more character than any of the "new mutants" had showed up to that point and eventually in the film and in doing so he got killed. Havok and Banshee were non entities, so were the bad guys bar Shaw (Frost was just a plot device not a character). Beasts transformation was criminally glossed over.

There was decent stuff there, everything that would've made a kick ass movie but they squandered it. I think the conclusion I've drawn is that the studio producing the x-men films seems to think that the comic book properties are suited for brainless action films which is criminal considering the mutant issue is a metaphor for societies prejudices. Even ignoring the depth of created material in the comic book medium to tell a concise cinematic story the heart of the X-men demands a deeper film.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Stuart000X » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Do my personal review of a film I recently watched, and I can testify that it is a must see, and the film I am talking about is Sam Peckinpah’s 1978 classic that is Cross of Iron.

I won’t go into too great detail of the film itself, but I will say it is superb. The story of the film is about the tale of a group of disgruntled German soldiers on the Eastern Front of Russia in the middle of one of the most brutal wars man ever waged.

Loyalty, disloyalty, testing of morality, death, evil, the war of the classes, it has it all. Cross of Iron is a hotpot of drama at its best, and its done with sober style. This isn’t your run of the mill action-man-type war film where one man is able to conquer an entire army unto himself. It’s about the struggle of one man, a hero of the Werhrmacht, as he battles with not only the solders of the Red Army, but with those within his own ranks, and the demons that haunt him.

In most WW2 renditions of this fatal conflict, the Germans are always universally portrayed as demonic, rampaging lunatics. And for the most part, a lot these portrayals are well and truly justified, but the overuse of such imagery has eroded away the forgotten, unsung heroes that are rarely allowed to be given voice to; the common soldier.

Strip away an army’s political background, and you’ll discover that every soldier born for the battlefield are all the same, but it is the banner with which the nation he carries with him that judges what he is. Of all the theatres of war conducted throughout history, none have seen as much savagery as that of the Eastern Front. Two armies, two separate nations with different ideals, but both led by tyrands, and pushed, the Russian fought as viciously as the Germans, and it shown with impeccable authenticity of that renowned fact.

On a rarer moment in the film, you sympathetically feel for the German soldiers as they fight the Russians, for they fought, not as Nazis or the embodiment of evil, but as soldiers. This film gives voice to an unheard flock of folk.
Stuart000X

Postby Pipitán » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:11 am

Just saw Presumed Innocent. I enjoyed it rather a lot, even though the twist was a tad obvious.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden on my story 'Sating Desire'
Pipitán

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:28 am

Yeah, the clue's in the title: which one do you ... Of course.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby flick » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12 pm

I saw Cross of Iron years ago, as a nine year old, I assumed all old films couldn't shock me, but this one did. I must see it again, the book is great as well.I love my country, but I don't think the UK or the US forces, could of mentally survived the eastern front. Only a totalitarion regime could of coped with such casualty figures.

ps Stakeland 8/10 Damn good little film, so nice to see a vampire film that is nasty and UN-romantic.
flick

Postby Pipitán » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:18 am

Just saw A Few Good Men. Jack Nicholson is fantastic ("You can't handle the truth!"), and Sorkin's script has some excellent lines and sequences, but there are some quite clished moments (some lines in the last scene really made me cringe), and the story isn't staggeringly original or unpredictable. Still, highly enjoyable.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
Pipitán

Postby Falkenhayn » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:44 pm

I want to quickly recommend Black Swan with Natalie Portman and Wynona Ryder.

I watched it a week ago with some friends and it was very scary and gripping. A really good movie.
Falkenhayn

Postby Pipitán » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Today I watched:

- The Day After Tomorrow. Utterly preposterous in terms of plot and science, but with spectacular special effects (the flooding of New York is incredible) so still enjoyable.
- Tales From Earthsea. Really rather bad. Has some nice vistas and animation, but the narrative is abysmal (completely butchers the books), and the production values just aren't up to scratch with other Ghibli films.
- Shark Tale. The animation and production values are nowhere near Pixar standard, and the plot is predictable, but I liked some of the Godfather references.
- Star Wars (A New Hope). I hadn't seen this one for ages, and I'd forgotten just how mindblowing the effects are, considering none of it is CGI. A thoroughly enjoyable and nostalgic couple of hours well spent.
Pipitán

Postby Insomniac » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:05 am

Falkenhayn wrote:I want to quickly recommend Black Swan with Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis...

;)

A couple scenes really stick out in my mind....
Insomniac

Postby Gaius Marius » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:10 am

Saw Super 8 the other day. Excellent special effects and plot, it was a mix of the goonies and predator. Although there was some weird mood dissonance from the kids running around making a movie and the alien monster eating people. That and at the end where :

Spoiler: the main kid convinces the alien not to eat him by essentially saying everyone has bad days. I just didn't get that, it seemed weird that that would stop something that had killed a score of people.

Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Falkenhayn » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:19 am

Insomniac wrote:
Falkenhayn wrote:I want to quickly recommend Black Swan with Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis...

;)

A couple scenes really stick out in my mind....

I see what you did there!

Honestly though, I may have come for the boobage, but I stayed for the movie. The scene in her room where she transforms into odile was scary as hell.
Falkenhayn

Postby Insomniac » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:42 pm

I watched it first uncut and it's a very good film. Then for a laugh, I watched a family friendly version - a third party edited the contents much like a television channel does. It's bizarre and I wish I could find it again.
Insomniac

Postby Pipitán » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Films watched over the last couple of days:

All the President's Men - I was enthralled by this from start to finish. Apart from the glorious pace and acting and the fact that it's a huge conspiracy that was actually all completely true, the way the film is shot is simply amazing; for 1976, it has an incredibly modern look.

The Shining - Highly unsettling, if not as conventionally scary as standard horror fare. The sets are stunning; I especially liked the pattern of the carpet for some reason. Jack Nicholson is his fantastic and utterly insane self, and I really liked the shot of Danny cycling around the hotel (very creepy), and the utterly horrific bathroom scene.

Unbreakable - Very interesting, suspenseful, and well-acted (Willis in particular) film. Of course, the ending is nothing compared to The Sixth Sense, but I think it's unfair to expect it to be. I think it's a real shame that a sequel was never made, and also that the Night M. Shamyblahblah's films have so decreased in quality since.
Pipitán

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:12 pm

Pipitán wrote:
All the President's Men - I was enthralled by this from start to finish. Apart from the glorious pace and acting and the fact that it's a huge conspiracy that was actually all completely true, the way the film is shot is simply amazing; for 1976, it has an incredibly modern look.

One of the few occassions where the film may be better than the book at least for mainstream entertainment, actually scratch that I found the book much more enriching an experience.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Pipitán » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:35 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:
Pipitán wrote:

One of the few occassions where the film may be better than the book at least for mainstream entertainment, actually scratch that I found the book much more enriching an experience.

So... it isn't one of the few occasions where the film is better than the book?

Personally, the only films that come immediately to my mind as being better than their respective books are The Godfather (which has a terribly un-subtle, pulpy writing style) and Bladerunner (good and imaginative, but not Philip K. Dick's best in my opinion and not the seminal classic the film is).
Pipitán

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:44 pm

I read the book as a politics/history nerd I think that colours my impressions, it wasn't entertaining it was enriching, cinema is so rarely that.
schaferwhat‽

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic