The Film Review Corner

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Film Review Corner

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:35 am

Pipitán wrote:The Shining - Highly unsettling, if not as conventionally scary as standard horror fare. The sets are stunning; I especially liked the pattern of the carpet for some reason. Jack Nicholson is his fantastic and utterly insane self, and I really liked the shot of Danny cycling around the hotel (very creepy), and the utterly horrific bathroom scene.

Well, that's another for which I have the t-shirt. And it is one of the few films that are better than the books they're based on (Stephen King's own tv mini-series paled by comparison). It is perfection of type.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Stuart000X » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Pipitán wrote:
The Shining - Highly unsettling, if not as conventionally scary as standard horror fare. The sets are stunning; I especially liked the pattern of the carpet for some reason. Jack Nicholson is his fantastic and utterly insane self, and I really liked the shot of Danny cycling around the hotel (very creepy), and the utterly horrific bathroom scene.

The most amazing feat of a special effects in any horror film, was the bit near the end when a river of blood fell out of a lift. Not many horror films, or any other film for that matter, can claim do a simliar feat with as a much silent horror and revulsion as done in the Shining.
Stuart000X

Postby Pipitán » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:38 pm

Stuart000X wrote:
Pipitán wrote:
The Shining - Highly unsettling, if not as conventionally scary as standard horror fare. The sets are stunning; I especially liked the pattern of the carpet for some reason. Jack Nicholson is his fantastic and utterly insane self, and I really liked the shot of Danny cycling around the hotel (very creepy), and the utterly horrific bathroom scene.

The most amazing feat of a special effects in any horror film, was the bit near the end when a river of blood fell out of a lift. Not many horror films, or any other film for that matter, can claim do a simliar feat with as a much silent horror and revulsion as done in the Shining.

Although I agree it was a highly disturbing shot, I wouldn't describe it as an amazing special effect - in my mind it would be quite simple to flood a corridor with a large volume of fake blood.

An interesting fact I read yesterday is that rather than just having a ream of paper with "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" written on it typed out, Kubrick had reams and reams of it typed out in every single language of the territories the film was going to be shown in, swapping the english-specific phrase to counterparts in each language ("The early bird gets the worm" for the Italian version, for example). Being the production assistant on a Kubrick film must have been an absolute nightmare.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
- Aaron Dembski-Bowden on my story 'Sating Desire'
Pipitán

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:48 pm

From what I can gather, most Kubrick films were nightmares to work on.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:03 am

24fps now has a review up for Transformers - Dark of the Moon.

http://24fpsmoviereviews.wordpress.com/ ... -the-moon/
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Xisor » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:06 pm

Caught Dark of the Moon last night on a whim. Fun film to watch and I chuckled at a fair few bits, but it really begins to annoy me when films are poor yet could so easily have been...better.

Worst of all, the soundtrack was the worst of the three films so far, which is a terrible shame. The first film has some pretty tremendous musical moments.

(It's this same major criticism that makes, in my mind, Avatar a crap film compared to Tron: Legacy's passable fun: rubbish/unmemorable sound track, where Tron's was bloody decent.)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby David Earle » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:20 pm

I saw Green Lantern last weekend. I thought it was a mediocre movie: not actively bad, it looked pretty enough and none of the actors were screwing their roles up, but a few simple tweaks to the script could have made it so much better. Worth checking out as a popcorn flick. There's already talk of a sequel; hopefully it'll come with a tighter focus and more excitement.

If you want a really good Green Lantern origin, I recommend you check out the animated First Flight DVD. A bit of deus ex machina aside, it's quite excellent.

This weekend I saw Bad Teacher, which made me laugh, but wasn't nearly as funny or interesting as it should have been. Possibly worth a rental, but there's no call to see it in a theater.

I'm debating whether I'll see Dark of the Moon or not. Right now I'm more interested in finally watching Scarface.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Major Rawne » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:05 pm

I saw Green Lantern last week and really quite enjoyed it, though there were a couple of things that could have, and possibly should have been better.

First is Ryan Reynolds as the hero of the title, whilst he wasn't ostensibly bad in the role he does normally play a sort of funny guy within a film. The only problem with this was that when he was being serious in terms of the plot, it didn't have the impact it should have had.

Secondly is really in terms of what happens later within the storyline of Hal Jordan as the Green Lantern. Without spoiling anything, I can't really picture Mr Reynolds as that Hal Jordan.

Anyway, I have also recently seen X-Men: First Class. I really quite enjoyed this film as well, though I did feel that the time that Erik and Charles got to bond and become friends did seem perhaps a little rushed.

Next film I think I will see is Captain America.
Major Rawne

Postby Pipitán » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:31 pm

28 Days Later - beautifully shot (the sequences depicting a deserted London are simply astonishing), and really rather terrifying in places, this is probably one of the best horror films I've ever seen, although it's not quite as good as The Shining. Boyle's direction is fantastic (if not as dynamic as in Trainspotting); he manages to keep up a constant sense of dread and unease, and the hyper-fast PoV shots featuring the infected are very effective. My only criticism is that the last act, although it features a nice performance from Christopher Eccleston, doesn't have the same level of originality as the rest of the film, and the epilogue is

Spoiler: far too happy and upbeat

for my liking.
It’s genius. This story absolutely BLEEDS 40K, start to finish... I freaking loved it.
Pipitán

Postby David Earle » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:57 pm

Pipitán - There's an alternate epilogue for the movie floating around that you'd probably enjoy, if you're so inclined. It actually was shown late in the movie's theatrical run to bump up ticket sales. I expect you can find it on YouTube.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:45 am

24FPS has a second opinion review up for Transformers: Dark of the Moon, from yours truly :)

Contains spoilers.

http://24fpsmoviereviews.wordpress.com/ ... d-opinion/
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby Raziel4707 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:35 am

Shadow, can you please warn us if your reviews are going to spoil the film? I got less than a paragraph into it and stopped as I still want to see it without knowing what the major events will be.
Raziel4707

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:38 am

Raziel4707 wrote:Shadow, can you please warn us if your reviews are going to spoil the film? I got less than a paragraph into it and stopped as I still want to see it without knowing what the major events will be.

Hmm, I suppose that could be a spoiler comment. Ah well :) I shall take care next time. Proper spoiler reviews will be posted on my own blog anyways. /cheers

shadowhawk2008

Postby Raziel4707 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Yeah... alternatively, you could just edit your post to warn people that it contains spoilers. That would be the sensible thing to do.

nevermind, I've done it for you.
Raziel4707

Postby Pipitán » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Good Will Hunting - Not quite sure where I stand on this one. Very predictable ending (and story in general really), but it has some fantastic scenes that are very well written and acted (Robin Williams is especially good).
Pipitán

Postby davij038 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:37 am

Just had to sit through The king's speech not bad per say, but a bit uneventful.

Nevermind, just got the first season of Supernatural, forgotten how good it is!
davij038

Postby flick » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Pipitán wrote:Good Will Hunting - Not quite sure where I stand on this one. Very predictable ending (and story in general really), but it has some fantastic scenes that are very well written and acted (Robin Williams is especially good).

Get the soundtrack, some great Elliot Smith(R.I.P)) songs on that record.
flick

Postby Pipitán » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:59 am

I haven't watched as many films as I would have liked to this last week (mainly due to spending most of my time walking through torrential rain in the Lake District), but here's reviews of the films I did manage to sneak in:

Transformers - My sister was watching this on tele so, out of morbid curiosity, I decided to sit through it (I've been avoiding the series). I have to admit, the special effects are stunning, but it simply makes the ridiculous plot feel even weaker. Shia LaBeouf is terrible. I certainly will not be rushing out to purchase the second one on DVD or view the third one at the cinema.

Once Upon a Time in America - Sub-Godfather, yes, but still a pretty epic and well-done crime saga, with fantastic acting from Robert De Niro and a heartrending score. I'm very much looking forward to watching some more Sergio Leone.

Gran Torino - Although compared to other Clint Eastwood movies it's pretty forgettable, it tells a good (albeit small) story very well, Eastwood himself is superb, and the humour is great. The ending is also quite subversive and shocking.

Let the Right One In - One of the best horror films I've ever seen, this film is truly staggering in its sheer intelligence and originality. The two child leads are brilliantly natural - I'm not sure whether they're just incredibly talented, or had an incredibly talented director (probably both). The Special effects are as subtle as they are creepy and effective, and the cinematography is stunning (beautiful snow-covered landscapes contrasted with lots of deep red blood). I cannot recommend this film enough.

Dances With Wolves - It's quite remarkably just how brazen Avatar is in the way it steals this movie's premise and plot (and then proceeds to execute it a lot less effectively - albeit with a lot more special effects). Costner looks a tad too similar to Mel Gibson for my liking, and the love interest's hair is laughably absurd, but the script is clever and well done (I was particularly impressed by

Spoiler: how gradually and naturally he grew to be part of the tribe

), and the set up (with the wonderful raving and

Spoiler: ultimately suicidal

major) is really excellent. Overall, it's simply the better film than Avatar, and by quite a margin, though that's not to say it doesn't have problems of its own - it is simply too long.
Pipitán

Postby Obscura Boy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:27 pm

After having heard a billion times about what a classic it is, how terrifying, how thought-provoking, and how it's essential viewing for any true sci-fi fan, I recently bought Alien on DVD and gave it a good old watch. And my verdict? Meh, it's OK.

No, seriously, I was kinda disappointed. I thought the opening was great, establishing a lot of atmosphere and tension and introducing the characters (all of whom are portrayed perfectly well by a talented cast) very nicely. But then, once you've got over the shock of the whole facehugger/chestburster thing*, the whole thing just wasn't that scary. I think the film's age has a lot to do with this - I think it's a little bit dated, if I'm honest. It's just too obvious that the xenomorph is just a slow, clanking, jerky animatronic, which takes all of the threat out of it. And I know that the director tried to make up for this by only giving us occasional glimpses of the creature, it wasn't enough to put the frighteners on me. But hey, maybe I'm just dead inside. :D

My other main issue was with the film's symbolism. I don't know if I was being over-zealous or nit-pickey in looking for it, but it all just seemed very obvious. While I thought it was interesting at first, by the end I felt like the film had tried to rub it in my face so hard that it actually spoiled the illusion.

Spoiler: Yes, I get it! Imagery to do with mothers and children! The ship's computer is called Mother! The shuttle is attached to the ship by an 'umbilicus'! There's a child's mobile hanging nonsensically in one of the rooms! You've made your point!

Having said that, I still think it was a good film and I can see why it's so well-loved. But much like The Godfather (another supposed classic), it just didn't blow me away. It's probably something to do with the huge amount of hype these films receive - the real thing is never going to live up to expectations. I'll probably give it another chance and watch it again sometime.

* -

Spoiler: I'm sorry, but when the little babby alien broke free from John Hurt's body and raced spasmodically across the table, I nearly burst out laughing.

My other car is a Land Raider.
Obscura Boy

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:46 pm

I think there is an issue about context with regards "classic films" you can miss them being shown on the big screen (which is arguably where all films are at their strongest) the changes in technology and style that happen during different times affects what people expect when they watch the film.

I myself think Alien is pretty damned suspenseful, it might not be scary but the concept that being frightened is some how preferable than a general sense of unease and suspense is better in a horror film seems a bit off for me personally.
schaferwhat‽

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic