What are YOU watching?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: What are YOU watching?

Postby Xisor » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:56 pm

Just caught a pile of classic Doctor Who - some I'd seen and some I'd not. Most notable amongst the not seen was 'The Two Doctors'. Really fascinating. An almost claustrophobic episod, with more of a play about it than an anarchic, convoluted thing that most multi-Doctor episodes become. Possibly my favourite such episode. And a delight to see Patrick & Frazer on screen again.

Very enjoyable.

As for the remainder, caught a good bit of Peter Davison I'd not seen before, and a few watches of ones I think I'd only seen once with Colin & Nicola.

But the real gems, for me, will almost always be Sylvester & Sophie. Some odd, wacky dross for my tastes, but the good bits are immense. Sophie & Sly's interplay is delightful to watch, as is the surprisingly faltering development of them both as characters. The intent, the vision is utterly brilliant. The execution is still a touch wonky, but there's great sequences, great individual characters and interplay, all sorts of things that are really excellent.

Greatest Show in the Galaxy had some tremendous little touches, Silver Nemesis presented a great story and whatnot, but I do hate the cybermen acting/direction.

Remembrance is another dodgy bit of 80s BBC, but it delivers on so many more levels. I'd love to see them do that in modern Who. Victory of the Daleks was edging to it in the idea, but the execution was just Diabolical. (Camp, loveable, blithering Churchill - gah.)

And this week?

The Curse of Fenric.

Is there anything better? I think only Tomb of the Cybermen really came close for me, but then I've still to wholly digest The Enemy of the World too. (And an old friend of mine won a GeekBop fancy dress as a Blue Kang from Paradise Towers, and I don't think I've seen more than the first five minutes of that serial...)

The slow build up, the fun and serious characters at play all having a bit more depth, the little bits of connection to other episodes, the more serious and enigmatic side of Sylvester's Seven, Sophie getting a good bit of stuff to work with (though I suspect her direction wasnot immense, there are great sections throughout). Even the themes at play are done nicely, almost more motivation and background than mere plot.

Such a good serial.

---

I also rather enjoyed The Magician's Apprentice too. Colony was fun. Missy was enjoyable enough, but blimey if I still don't quite relish the character in any regeneration. Perhaps we can entice in Mark Hamill at some point?

Well, I tell a lie, I did enjoy Derek Jacobi's short turn.

Anyway, new episode was good. Choice of how to do it is bloody annoying. Ellardent on twitter hit the nail on the head with the main problem though - far too much time 'getting the gang together', far too little spent doing or exploring anything.

Also, this cropped up on fb; I chuckled...

Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Vivia » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:58 pm

First, I'm a big fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender. I have no idea that The Legend of Korra was a thing. So I was like okay, this should be fun. Well, no, it wasn't.
I'm not a big fan of Nickolodeon as a channel, I'm a Cartoon Network type of person, I prefer their kind of fast-paced action cartoons. Back when I discovered AtLA I had like no expectations, and I was blown away. One of the things that stood out most was the humour, I was totally surprised of how funny it was, this in combination to the other serious stuff, Aang and the rest of the characters. I was expecting at least something a tiny bit similar with LoK and well, it didn't deliver.
The humour is so ham-fisted, like omg, they try so hard. Gone is the child-like qualities of AtLA and that's not a good thing, it's awful, instead we get these a-hole teens. I much prefer either children or adults because when bad writing happens this happens and it really is bad writing. It's so bad I don't even care about Korra being a strong female lead. Let the stabbing begin!
Another thing: I'm in general very negative towards love stories in fiction because they're usually awful. In AtLA I loved it, I love how sweet it was and that it wasn't written in an angsty, silly way. In LoK I HATE it, this is the reason I hate love stories. These characters are so annoying I don't want them to get anything of any kind. I feel like a total Lemon when I watch it, "in risk of going permanently sour".
The series is a great example of TTH. The animation is over the top, whereas AtLA was fluid and elegant, LoK is overly aggressive. With my attention deficit problems this series really wears me out, my eyes feel like having been hammered in with sack full of mittens. I should be grateful I don't get seizures. The voice acting reminds me way too much of Mass Effect. Though this could be because I have only watched the Swedish dub.
Just like with World of Warcraft the fan art surpasses the original art concept. The fans fly towards the sun while the original work plummets down like a pancake. :mrgreen:

There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Vivia » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:28 pm

I went back to watching anime after a very long time, this is because I have spent so much time on Deviant Art after six years of absence.
First was Gintama, my all-time favourite, along with Tiger And Bunny, then JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, the new series, after that Puella Shoujo Madoka Magica. I must say animation has come a long way from the days of Mazinger Z and Candy Candy, quality wasn't big back then. It's so beautiful when it's done right. These shows are so unique in style which is awesome that it isn't Gainax or Squarenix. Sorry, Gainax, but your art is so white bread.

Really impressed with the new JoJo stuff, I love the over the top art that was so vivid during the '80s, the animation is nearly flawless. JBA and Hokuto No Ken are cousins in art and I'm really happy they haven't toned it down to fit modern audience, especially the haircuts, make-up and clothes, but most of all the lack of clothes. According to the '80s, life was about losing your shirt. It's dark, but what's important it's 1980s dark and not 2000s dark.
My biggest complaint is the casual Nazi involvement that are just called the German army. It's not as bad as Souten No Ken with a Chinese Nazi (I wish I was making that up), but holy *******. Sigh. Also, watching Germans being so thoroughly Japanese in speech and manners is pure crack. It's '80s exploitation in a nutshell.

MSMM is also very interesting, it heals the burning left from Death Note and Neon Genesis Evangelion, two shows that tripped over themselves to be deep but ended showing the vapidity and so much cheapness. :mrgreen: I liked it so much I bought the OST in parts which sadly isn't all available on iTunes. How can I resist the Lovecraftian theme of an indifferent alien creature out to suck people dry. I think not. 8-)
Thanks to David Earle for putting the name in my mind map so when I saw it I didn't turn away like I usually do. I was right it had an Ib game vibe, the cute art compared to the abyssal black background. It even has the same hand drawn art that is naive and horrific, the colourful palette to the art concept makes it pop. Yes, it's possible to do film noir with vivid colours. The video that cemented that this was a show for me was a scene that had random button-eyed people, I have a fear of doll-like creatures, it was totally David Lynch in mood, odd weirdness that makes little sense at first. That's my kind of flavour. :)

I bought season six of 30 Rock, slowly taking my time to the last season. There is a tiny bit of decline in writing, it's very small. I do like Criss Cross as Liz' boyfriend and Hazel. Kenneth finally gets more time to shine.

"Perhaps I'm not weighed down by redundant torso fabric."
" At sunset, the cacti started to resemble people looking for hugs. It gets ugly, Liz."
Last edited by Vivia on Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:00 am

Deep Space 9, though I am skipping the sillier ones, and looking forward to The Way of the Warrior and the Dominion's advent.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Lord of the Night » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Vivia wrote:I bought season six of 30 Rock, slowly taking my time to the last season. There is a tiny bit of decline in writing, it's very small. I do like Criss Cross as Liz' boyfriend and Hazel. Kenneth finally gets more time to shine.

"At sunset, the cacti started to resemble people looking for hugs. It gets ugly, Liz."

Don't forget;

"There's a war going on and you have to choose a side. I've waited my entire life to say that and I can't believe I wasted it on you."

"Give me the bad news; how black was this dude? On a scale from Lisa Bonet to Dot Com."

"Ok I got in trouble the last time I said this, but maybe you were asking for it dressed like that."

"Aw! You smell like when the Stone Mountain tire fire joined up with the corpse fire, and then swept through the downtown manure district. It was our fault for letting those high schoolers dance at their prom."

Really just everything about The Tuxedo Begins. One of 30 Rock's absolute best. :D

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:49 am

American Horror Story: Hotel - two episodes in, and this promises to be the best one yet... we'll just have to see if it suffers the usual mid-season losing of the way. The art-Deco setting is gorgeous (and I love the Overlook references). I could have done without Naomi Campbell, though.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby David Earle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:44 pm

Watching Schmidt get sodomized with a unicorn horn put me off AHS: Hotel. A shame, I thought Lady Gaga's sequence was off to a good start.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Vivia » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Lord of the Night wrote:
Vivia wrote:I bought season six of 30 Rock, slowly taking my time to the last season. There is a tiny bit of decline in writing, it's very small. I do like Criss Cross as Liz' boyfriend and Hazel. Kenneth finally gets more time to shine.

"At sunset, the cacti started to resemble people looking for hugs. It gets ugly, Liz."

Don't forget;

"There's a war going on and you have to choose a side. I've waited my entire life to say that and I can't believe I wasted it on you."

"Give me the bad news; how black was this dude? On a scale from Lisa Bonet to Dot Com."

"Ok I got in trouble the last time I said this, but maybe you were asking for it dressed like that."

"Aw! You smell like when the Stone Mountain tire fire joined up with the corpse fire, and then swept through the downtown manure district. It was our fault for letting those high schoolers dance at their prom."

Really just everything about The Tuxedo Begins. One of 30 Rock's absolute best. :D

LotN

Eh, I find that episode a bit uninteresting, that and Leap Day, and also I'm easily scared by the ending of Leap Day. :) There are few others that are a bit meh right now. But I'm giving it time to settle in because as it is, some of my least favourite episodes have come around to become my favvest. I was about to throw acid on season 4 and now I find it better than season 5.

Quotes that I totally missed the first time:
"I played Avery Jessup in Kidnapped By Danger, now available on Sega Genesis."

"What do people not want to talk about? Soccer, jazz, infidelity."

"Never talk about a Black woman's leg size, not on babies, not on the Williams sisters, not on a mannequin at Avenue."

"Jack: Your life is tied to the fate of the ring. It must be destroyed.
Pete: Are you quoting The Lord of the Rings?
Jack: No, I'm quoting myself talking to Bruce Willis."

Since I'm back on the anime train I'm revisiting past loves. School Rumble! I can't believe I had forgotten about it for so long. For a shounen story this has so much heart and wit, that's not easy to come by in this genre. I was just reading an interesting quote by Jojo's creator, he is expected to cater to certain tastes and couldn't evolve a character because of the audience.
School Rumble has a Zoolander kind of innocence and, dare I say, a sweetness. I love that the protagonist of Hiruma is meant to only look like a delinquent but not as a person and the background for his looks are hilarious. The girls are given so much character development and I love that they're allowed to be equally zany and weird. Loser attributes for all. In the scene when Hiruma endured Tenma's horrible rice balls I was crying with laughter, mammoth stampede FTW.
Another plus are the great opening and ending themes, it fits the energy of the show perfectly, some of the best after Ergo Proxy. Compared to Gintama that has the worst of bland music.
Vivia

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:41 am

Jekyll and Hyde: a rather excellent mash-up, wherein its very obvious that a great deal of fun is being had by all involved.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:49 pm

Finished up a re-watch of Smallville last weekend. Certianly one of those shows which hasn't aged as well as it could have, and those later seasons are a right slog to get through.

The couple of shows that i'm currently really enjoying are Supergirl and Bates Motel.
Major Rawne

Postby Vivia » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:51 am

Continuing my progress into past anime series. This time with Inuyasha.

This time around I'm really enjoying it, maybe because I'm actually taking my time to follow it. I read the manga back from the start in 1996 (wow, it's been a while), then grew to tire of it. The anime is way better in my opinion.

The animation is wonderful, there are virtually no questionable animation errors. It's hard to understand how crappy Western and Eastern animation was back in the 80s when I grew up, truly it was awful. :)
Inu-Yasha keeps one of the highest quality in production I have seen in this type of anime. Top-notch animation, beautiful soundtrack, both opening and ending credits, lovely concept design throughout. The producers went to great length to create a feudal Japan and it shows in every detail, the soundtrack suits the setting and it's a mix of Mediaeval and Japanese traditional music.The colour palette is realistic, it's war time and they keep it simple,everything is historically accurate. Well, except for Kagome's silly school uniform, but this is shounen manga and they have to fulfil the regular requirements.

When it comes to the story, the Naraku, the main villain, story arch is far from fresh towards the end, they drag it on for so long it suffers a lot. Kikyo's story, the priestess, gets also rather stale and repetitive. The main story is very dark for a shounen manga, very 80s dark, in the style of Hokuto no Ken.
The filler episodes are the best, they're something I usually tend to hate. They bring a lot of humour and heart to the main plot, Shippo's stories are the funniest. Takahashi's trademark comedy is never far away on screen and this without becoming an annoyance. I'm vaguely impressed.

What I really enjoy about it is that the main characters get injured for real during battles and the level of realism. Every battle is treated like it's a deadly event, people get injured or killed. Miroku gets his arm broken or hurt several times, so much that he wears a support, the group complain about injuries or rest during their travels. After difficult battles the group take weeks to recuperate, even Inuyasha. Rustic beddings and food are the staple of their lives in the feudal era, Kagome reflects on this whenever she goes back home. Desolated villages and dead people is another common occurrence during times of war. There is very little sugar coating unlike many anime series where everything is treated like a fantasy.

The other thing that adds depth to the story are the concepts of evil. War times and strife creates a vast increase in demonic activity and the people are also influenced by the demonic forces in an spiral of evil. The Shikon jewel is symbolic for the human emotions during such times, it reflects the desperation in both demons and humans. Our group of heroes are there to remind people that some wishes are mere illusions and born from despair.

The reason for the war is left in the background, the group only deals with the consequences of it: increase in criminals and all sorts of human evil, lack of rations, demons feeding on the dead, orphaned children, villages without men or adults. The stories deal with the victims of war, the little people left behind and it's genuinely sad a lot of the times, both with human and demon characters. Many of the demons are impressively creepy and Naraku is quite Lovecraftian in nature. Naraku's incarnations are disturbing in more ways than one and very sad in all.

The group of heroes are very flawed individuals and their flaws aren't only there for stereotype's sake. The villains of the story are also given extensive backgrounds and many of the stories deals from their point of view.
What works for me is the small cast of characters, they stay like that and they're given a lot of time to shine.

I was expecting a decline in the writing at any point and it actually never happened, the quality was very high. The battles were repetitive but entertaining because they weren't treated lightly. I can't say I found an "unwatchable" episode in the 190 episodes. The Final Act continues in the same vein. I'm highly impressed by this series.

The entire series is on Youtube for the moment, including the four films.
Vivia

Postby David Earle » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:53 am

I respect and enjoyed Inuyasha, but I have no time! :D I think I got to Faceless!Naraku before the release schedule on Adult Swim killed it for me.

I'm watching Super Best Friends Play Bloodborne: The Old Hunters, after finishing that particular DLC, because these guys have the best commentary around and watching Pat fail is great and TV is pretty much full of fail for me. Brooklyn 99 is still good, this last season of South Park was solid, I still have to catch up on Better Call Saul and Ash vs The Evil Dead... okay there's stuff there but the Let's Play is what I actually look forward to every other day.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Vivia » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:34 pm

I couldn't agree more, I haven't watched Inuyasha since 2004.
The only way I can get through a series is in large chunks in one day or evening, otherwise I lose interest. That's how I got through Ergo Proxy and Black Lagoon, they were on evening marathons. My insomnia was another factor. Schedule watching is NOT for me.
I'm experiencing something similar now and my Christmas knitting does wonders for my focus, this combined with terrible weather, my time is now. :)

The manga was excruciatingly slow. Takahashi wasn't good with lush scenery of the kind needed in Japanese feudal time with the low-key aesthetics, her style is focused on character design. It worked with Ranma and Mason Ikkoku but not at all with Inuyasha. The anime is superior in many ways.

I'm looking into buying the DVD but as usual they're hard to come by in this country, the box I found goes for 699 sek. Ack.
Vivia

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Britain's Favourite Children's Books on Channel 4: where in all Hell was Watership Down?!!
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:48 pm

Currently blazing my way through Sons of Anarchy. Some bits I love, other bits i'm not entirely sold on but overall it's a damn good show.
Major Rawne

Postby Rob P » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:00 pm

I've tried giving the Marvel and DC universe shows a go but they haven't succeeded in drawing me in. And is Captain Cold the most over acted character ever?

I've been watching Lucifer on Amazon prime. I'm assuming it's a spin off from the spin off of Sandman. It's kind of the same as Constantine (which I watched not too long ago) but with the opposite telling. Amazon are drip feeding it us so i've only seen so many episodes so far. Not 100% sure I like the character of Lucifer yet - he's not as relateable as he could be, but it's grabbing my attention.

Also started watching Mr Robot. I held off because it didn't sound that good, but the first 20 min have got me interested and i'm glad i've given it a go.

Also loving the current series of The Walking Dead. It's all going so well that it's obvious that it's about to go to hell. TWD is very good at splitting the series (with mid season break) into what is effectively 2 distinct mini-series.
Rob P

Postby David Earle » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:24 pm

Rob P wrote:I've tried giving the Marvel and DC universe shows a go but they haven't succeeded in drawing me in. And is Captain Cold the most over acted character ever?

Absolutely yes. Best part of Legends of Tomorrow so far, although I've not exactly stuck with the show.
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Lord of the Night » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:53 pm

Finished Teen Wolf Season 4 last night. T'was a good season, not the shows best so far (that still belongs to Season 3A), but it was certainly one of the better seasons.

Pros
-Berserkers! These were the scariest villains in Teen Wolf thus far, and they had the power to back up their appearance. Season 5 will have to work hard to top them.
-The Deadpool was a good main plot, the various supernatural types revealed as a result, and the Assassins were interesting mini-villains. Plenty of great story twists, didn't see the Benefactor's identity coming at all, and character development across the cast.
-Derek becoming an Evolved was an incredible farewell to his character, it will be strange without him in Season 5.

Cons
-As interesting as her return was, Kate just didn't mesh with the rest of the season. It felt like she was around just to throw a spanner in the works for the protagonists, and once the Deadpool was resolved to be that one last thing they have to deal with.
-Scott spending most of the season getting his ass kicked. He's meant to be the True Alpha, I would have thought his power would be a lot greater. His fight against Peter at the end was what I wanted to see more of consistently.
-The season dragged a bit near the final third, the Deadpool story becoming a bit long-winded. Finding a way to tie Kate in more would have solved that I think since it would have divided the season between the two stories rather than the Deadpool for 90% of the season, and then Kate for the remaining 10%.

Returning to Dark Matter next, I was about halfway through the first season when I stopped watching (as I used to with TV) so i'm getting back in. Episode 6 was mostly flashbacks which is a plot device I have never been a fan of, but I think the remainder of the season will continue as strongly as the first half did.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:36 am

Frank's back (no, not that one - there will be nobody singing Blue Velvet around here... or, at least, I don't think there will be). Game of Cards, season four.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Xisor » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:28 am

Caught the end (after a bit of a race through what there was of it) of this wee American show about a high school dropout and his on-again/off-again relationship with his old high school teacher. Felt low budget. Slow paced, but pretty cool; really keen on the suspense and little twists they keep bringing in.

Shame it only lasted a few short series. Could do with a lot more western-feel stuff on the go. Agonising periods of not much happening but very enthralling. Maybe slightly light on plausible characters beyond the main guy, but fascinating for all that. A bit depressing though, especially the illness and substance abuse sub plots.

You guys should check it out.

"Oh while I live, to be the ruler of life, not a slave, to meet life as a powerful conqueror, and nothing exterior to me will ever take command of me."
Admin of Ruin
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic