Music

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Music

Postby Raziel4707 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:42 am

Oh ffs, leave him alone.

Going to see Saxon on thursday! Woohoo! Supported by Wolfsbane.... not so good.
Raziel4707

Postby Big Barney Ross » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:53 am

Raziel4707 wrote:Oh ffs, leave him alone.

And who are you? His advocate?

The man writes like a 12-year old who's skipped all his grammar classes. I mean, fine by me, I just won't read his unintelligible posts because it's not worth it. But for the sake of others, he might at least adhere to some basic grammar rules, like putting a comma or a period here and there.

or should I say:

the man writes like a 12-year old who's skipped all his grammar classes I mean fine by me I just won't read his unintelligible posts because it's not worth it but for the sake of others he might at least adhere to some basic grammar rules like putting a comma or a period here and there.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby Raziel4707 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:59 am

Fine.
Last edited by Raziel4707 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Raziel4707

Postby Pyroriffic » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:03 am

Moderator input

Guys, please leave the personal attacks out of this thread and indeed, out of this forum. There is no need for it at all.

Please keep the thread on topic.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.
Pyroriffic

Postby Sig » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:27 pm

Big Barney Ross wrote:HAZARDS OF SWIMMING NAKED - Our Lines are Down; recommended by someone on this forum (don't rememebr who). Loving the album.

That would've been me, good sir :)

As a disclaimer before I dive into my bands, I have to say a few things. One is that I listen to melodies first and then lyrics second. This leads into the other point. I try to listen to music from other countries, even if I can't understand the language, sheerly because western music has become extremely repetitive. So there, have at it! I've included links in the band name titles to my favourite review site if you wanted to learn more.

Porcupine Tree
These guys have been described as the modern day Pink Floyd. And that tag is not too far off. Led by Steven Wilson (think David Gilmour, Roger Waters and John Lennon rolled into one person), this band is probably the best group of this generation. This is what progressive rock is, pushing the boundary of creativity and music, an attempt to combine the lessons and features of every genre into the band's playing. Steven Wilson's songwriting/lyrics are beautiful, his guitar playing even better! Gavin Harrison on drums has claim to be being the best modern drummer with his jazz style. If you're tired of the modern crap that's passed off as music (Rebecca Black, I'm looking at you...), you need to have a listen to this band. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here and Buying New Soul (about Wilson's inner struggle with selling out to the music industry) are two of my favourites in particular. When a band's B-sides are better than the vast majority of bands' A-sides, you know they're good.

Sigur Ros
Ethereal beauty. And with that I've summed Sigur Ros up in two words. Their music is minimalist and achingly beautiful. Jonsi, leader and vocalist, has the voice of an angel. And he plays guitar with a cello bow, producing lovely loops and swells of sound and distortion. The rest of the band aren't too bad either :P Although the songs are sung mainly in Icelandic or even just pure vocals without true lyrics, this has to be the most emotionally touching band I've heard. The album Takk... is probably the best one to get started with. And to finish off, this is the song I want played at my funeral: Glosali.

Hazards of Swimming Naked
So I've just covered two hugely successful bands. These guys are unfortunately not yet at that stage. A 6 piece instrumental and ambient group, this guys are bloody good. The layers of guitars are exceptional in particular. This group possesses professionalism, musicianship and polish beyond their years of playing. They always keep it interesting and give you something to rock out to. Have a listen to their album here (also for purchase there too). I've said it before, but if these guys don't make it big, I'll personally lead an armed uprising against the music industry.

Pink Floyd
Does this band truly need much said about them? If you haven't heard of them, if not listened to them, shame on you. Progressive rock that's accessible without compromising any of its musicianship. David Gilmour is truly one of the world's best guitarists, that solo on Comfortably Numb gets me every time. "Echoes" is a particular favourite of mine, aside from the obvious standouts that you normally (justifiably) hear listed as favourites.

Yes
An old-school choice but still well-deserved. Yes were of the late 60's and 70's, and some of the music they've written is still yet to be bettered. These guys along with ELP and King Crimson helped establish progressive rock. Siberian Khatru is wonderful, those opening guitar riffs (drool)...

Rush
This trio are truly extraordinary. An easy way to describe them is a much more talented and awesome version of Muse, with real songs and no piano. They combine sheer ability with the unerring skill of catchiness. Geddy Lee's bass playing is truly a sight to behold. Their best stuff is from the middle of their career (this seems to be the same with most of the bands I listen to...). Check out YYZ for an example of how awesome they are. They may be old fogeys but they rock hard!

X Japan
Take Led Zeppelin and make them grow up in Japan. The result might just look like something like these guys. Their early stuff is pure rock and roll, with their later albums bringing in some more classical elements. Their drummer also plays piano in their songs and leads the band. Plus the lead guitarist hide is just a freak. For your slice of rock and roll today, have a look at Sadistic Desire (just wait for the solos) and Kurenai. These guys are right up there.

Dream Theater
Progressive rock and metal is these guys bread and butter. They've lost their way in recent years but Images and Words, plus Awake are among my favourite albums. Every member is among the most accomplished users of their respective instruments, the vocalist lets them down occasionally though. Stream of Consciousness is a good example for the technicality, Lie for a more metal approach and Learning to Live for pure epicness.

Versailles
The one thing that puts me off the vast majority of metal bands is the singer. I hate growled lyrics and screams (I'm just not an angry enough person...). As a baseline, Metallica at the Master of Puppets stage is perfect for me. And so I got introduced to this band. They are basically symphonic metal, with a good singer. The two guitarists are extremely technical and their duels are brilliant. The originality with these guys is mostly what interests me. Their songs range from headbanging (youtube "shouts and Bites" to ballady types. For me, I prefer a mix of the two in the same song (for example, click). It's all in Japanese but then I've never been one to actually listen to lyrics... They went major about 2 years ago and have unfortunately gone a little more poppy/generic from there. Their first two albums are still really good though.

ES Posthumus
New age classical music combined with guitars and drums. Lots of fun with build ups and intensity. The perfect psych-up music and also the basis of many a film score. Unstoppable is just plain epic.

John Butler Trio
It's hard to describe these guys but I guess folk is the closest you'll come to a genre for them. The band is based around John Butler and his ability to play the acoustic guitar. It shouldn't work so well but it does. His style is unique and rather awesome. Why these guys aren't more well known outside of Australia, I do not know. Old Man and Pickapart are probably good places to start.

And as a bonus, click me.
Sig

Postby sam vimes » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:35 pm

currently im working my through some of stratovarius's older stuff, from the 90's pretty good so far and barney nine times out of ten im on here through my mobile, like now that doesn't show all of post box when im typing so thats why my grammar and punctuation are so bad, not because I missed grammar classes this POS doesnt even show all tagging options or smilies, so ask why somethings bad instead of jumping to conclusions.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Insomniac » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Such a good time for music:

Integrity "Detonate VVorld Plague"
Pulling Teeth "Funerary"
Violent Ruler "Swelling The Morgue"
The Farley Overdose "Follow The Cult"

Then there are the releases slated for later this year:

Penetration Panthers
Witch-Lord
Gehenna
VVegas
Pale Creation
Insomniac

Postby Raziel4707 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:18 pm

Insomniac wrote:Penetration Panthers

:lol: BEST. BAND NAME. EVER. :lol:
Raziel4707

Postby sam vimes » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:39 pm

I know what you mean raziel had to smirk and do a school boy snigger when i read that name lol.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby LordLucan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:41 pm

Me too... *guilty look* ;)
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Insomniac » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:41 pm

Raziel4707 wrote:
Insomniac wrote:Penetration Panthers

:lol: BEST. BAND NAME. EVER. :lol:

Definitely. They play this great hybrid of dirty punk n' roll that deals with skateboarding and other, ahem, activities.

It's kind of like The Discreet Doll Band was mixed with a matured version of the Motherf'in T.... Suckers, which makes sense since all the bands are in the Gehenna family.
Insomniac

Postby Big Barney Ross » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:35 pm

@Sig
I've listened to most of the bands you've listed; from it, I see we have a fairly similar taste in music (namely prog and post rock/metal).

Out of the lot, I dislike Sigur Ros. Their music has an epic feel to it, more than other bands of the same stock, but what you call the voice of an angel to me sounds like the voice of an eunuch. The man sounds more girlie than those alternative rock bands' singers; that makes it un-listenable for me. Also, never got into X Japan, really.

E. S. Posthumus are epic, one of my preferred choices when I just want to lay back and relax.

I'll also divulge some favorites of my own by genre (skipping the mainstream bands and artists everyone knows about):

Heavy Metal:
BLAZE BAYLEY - the man has had five solo albums, which blow away pretty much anyone has done lately in the same genre. I challenge anyone to find me a better pure metal artist today than Blaze Bayley. Songs: The Man Who Would Not Die; Stare at the Sun; 1633; Tenth Dimension.

EZO - a japanese HM band from the late 80s. Very Kiss-like; great music, great vocals (in english). Songs: House of 1000 Pleasures; Fire Fire; Nightcrawler.

ANTHEM - one of the best bands in Japan, and the world, no doubt. This guys are still going on with full force. Songs: Immortal Bind (this will blow you away); Voices;

Prog rock:
GALAHAD - I never was into prog rock much, but this UK band is awesome, at least their 'Empires Never Last' album. Personally, I consider this a must for anyone who takes himself for a prog rock listener. Songs: Empires Never Last.

Prog metal:
- This is currently my favorite music genre. I've heard all of the well-known bands (like Dream Theater), but found the ones off interest hidden amongst those who don't get the spotlight. There are many such artists, but I'd single out this one:

COMMUNIC - this is currently the best prog metal band on the planet, bar none. Three albums, three absolute perfections - musical intricacy, intelligent lyrics, originality - they've got it all. But don't believe my words, believe your ears. Songs: Fooled by the Serpent; Stone Carved Eyes; Ocean Bed (the intro is amazing).

...and as a bonus:

LOST HORIZON - have you ever heard the voice of God? Well, Daniel Heiman may just be it. Listen to Highlander, from 10:35 to 11:00. Not to mention the musicianship is otherworldly, though it's more power than prog.
Highlander (The One); Kingdom of my Will
Last edited by Big Barney Ross on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby Squiggle » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:52 pm

Big Barney Ross wrote:Out of the lot, I dislike Sigur Ros. Their music has an epic feel to it, more than other bands of the same stock, but chat you call the voice of angel to me sounds like the voice of an eunuch. The man sounds more girlie than those alternative rock bands' singers; that makes it un-listenable for me.

They also make beautiful, thought provoking music, but you may have overlooked that in favour of a cheap shot about men with no testicles.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Raziel4707 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:07 am

Have been listening to the Kinks quite a lot lately. It's really surprising just how many great songs that band are responsible for, with stand-out tracks being "Lola" "Apeman" and "Tired of waiting for you".

Also listening to a lot of blasts from my past like American Headcharge, Mushroom Head, Slipknot, Korn, Sepultura, and Killswitch Engage. With the recent anniversary of the drug-related death of Paul Gray, I've been reminded of a wealth of music that had slipped into my past.
Raziel4707

Postby Big Barney Ross » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:54 am

Squiggle wrote:They also make beautiful, thought provoking music, but you may have overlooked that in favour of a cheap shot about men with no testicles.

Whatever the case, their music is not thought provoking to me because of the fact because their lyrics are in Icelandic - a language I do not speak. And also, from their own website, "all of the vocals are however in hopelandic. It's of course not an actual language by definition (no vocabulary, grammar, etc.), it's rather a form of gibberish vocals that fits to the music and acts as another instrument."

A sound alone can't provoke my thoughts - I can get immersed in the music, I can enjoy it thoroughly, but the lyrics are which provoke my thoughts. Dio's "Strange Highways" provokes thoughts on the matter of religion, his "The End of the World" provokes thoughts on the matter of the decline of music quality, Blaze Bayley's "Tenth Dimension" provokes thought about the way humanity is enslaved and controlled by the powers that be, Lost Horizon's "Kingdom of my Will" provokes thoughts about the power of will and its impact on reality, ...

And as far as post rock/post-metal goes, I prefer that music instrumental. These bands go to the extreme, either they screech and growl (like Seven Nautical Miles, Cult of Luna, etc.), or they mumble mellowly (like Sigur Ros) - none of which I consider singing.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby sam vimes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:38 pm

Just finished listening to stratovarius's destiny album, and gotta say the title track still gives me goose bumps ten sorry eleven years on, wow now i feel really old lol.

And just found out recently this album, and thier newest elysuim, are the only two to go #1 in thier home country in thier near 30 year history, dont know if thats good or bad, or if it shows that you dont have to be mega stars to last for years in your chosen profession, and oh joy my e63 is still not showing all the post box and options *sigh* gonna have to see if I need any soft ware updates for this thing next time I can get on a laptop.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Bane Of Kings » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Here's a few bands/artists that I enjoy, and what songs are my favourite in my opinon.

The Killers
My favourite band, and my favourite songs are the following:
Believe me Natalie
Somebody Told Me
Human
Spaceman
Change Your Mind
Read Your Mind

K'naan
Wavin' Flag
Somalia
ABC's
Dreamer
When the Lion Learns to Speak (Or at least I think that's what It's called, haven't heard the song in ages)

30 Seconds to Mars
Vox Populi
Kings and Queens
Closer to the Edge
This is War

Bob Marley / The Wailers

No Woman, No Cry (Live)
Three Little Birds
I Shot the Sheriff
Get Up, Stand Up
Buffalo Soldier
Jamming (Long Version)

Biffy Clyro

God & Satan
Mountain
Bubbles
Many of Horror

The Editors

Smokers Outside the Hospital Door
An End has a Start
Lights
Munich
All Sparks

Damian Marley / Nas

As We Enter
Africa Must Wake Up
Tribes at War

Foo Fighters

Best of View
Rope

Others

J5 (Deluxe Edition) - Jurassic 5
London Calling - The Clash
The Story of the Blues. Part 1 - The Mighty Wah!
Love is a Wonderful Colour - The Icicle Works

I think that's about it. Oh yes, and the Gladiator, Inception and Black Hawk Down Soundtracks.
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby sam vimes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:23 pm

you like the gladiator sound wow um me to! Been a while since I've heard any of it though best song I can remeber of it is the now we are free maximus mix what a voice lisa gerrard has.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby flick » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:35 am

Placebo always make me smile, a 5'3 bi-sexual gutter-mouth, playing sleezy glam-rock.

They first got big while I was in school, and everyone thought their lead singer was a girl. It still makes me chuckle when I recall the class bigot(s) saying he wanted to 'nail that goth freak-chick from placebo' :lol:
flick

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Well these days I am listening to Nicole Scherzinger's new album, Killer love; Timbaland's Presents Shock Value, Britney Spears' Femme Fatale. Then there is a whole bunch of random anime music, particularly Rurouni Kenshin, Gundam (lots and lots of this), Samurai Champloo. Big fan of Nami Tamaki as well, she is just too good.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic