Music

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Music

Postby sam vimes » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:45 am

Talk about a tribute song lol:

Sabaton - Metal Crue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7UZ5RrV ... 73326413CA

And the lyrics:
Take some venom and accept
That you won't see Nazareth
The rainbow leads you home

Warrior sent to milky way
UFO shooting gamma ray
A riot of destruction

Watch the rockbitch go down, vixen spread

When the priest killed a maiden in the metal church
Armored saints and warlocks watched the slaughter
Rage of the slayer forced the pretty maids
To kiss the Queen in crimson glory

You were born a motorhead
Bike's in flames you race ahead
U do the Kansas rush

Racing with the motley crew
Annihilator chasing you
With guns and burning roses

Status quo has been reached, wasps unleashed

Take a skyride with me, then you'll see
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes
 
Posts: 2010
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:32 am


Re: Music

Postby sam vimes » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:17 pm

SABATON - A Lifetime Of War [official lyric video | english]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvdbDw5b ... qvP4YsNKhw
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes
 
Posts: 2010
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:32 am


Re: Music

Postby Malius » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:47 am

Sabaton are ace! Brilliant live too. Well worth catching if you haven't seen them.

Is it okay to shamelessly plug my own metal band? Oh well, here goes :P
Check out www.facebook.com/lazarussyndromeuk

Recording our album next month.
<Insert poignant quote here>
My blog
User avatar
Malius
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:56 pm
Location: Liverpool (actually a Londoner)


Re: Music

Postby sam vimes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Malius wrote:Sabaton are ace! Brilliant live too. Well worth catching if you haven't seen them.

Is it okay to shamelessly plug my own metal band? Oh well, here goes :P
Check out http://www.facebook.com/lazarussyndromeuk

Recording our album next month.

melodic metal so stratovarius esque?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes
 
Posts: 2010
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:32 am


Re: Music

Postby Therion » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:13 am

http://archive.org/details/Dtrash170-Ch ... mberPalace

I'm listening to it a lot. The vocal is kinda cute.
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
User avatar
Therion
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:35 am


Re: Music

Postby Bane Of Kings » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:24 pm

I'm on a bit of an Imagine Dragons kick at the moment, having to resort to Youtube as their album is unfortunately not out in the UK yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgltSp_mU7M
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
User avatar
Bane Of Kings
 
Posts: 1416
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:01 pm
Location: North Devon, England


Re: Music

Postby Malius » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:16 am

sam vimes wrote:
Malius wrote:Sabaton are ace! Brilliant live too. Well worth catching if you haven't seen them.

Is it okay to shamelessly plug my own metal band? Oh well, here goes :P
Check out http://www.facebook.com/lazarussyndromeuk

Recording our album next month.

melodic metal so stratovarius esque?


I would call Stratovarius power metal.

We are more along the likes of the Swedish scene. Soilwork, Scar Symmetry et al.
<Insert poignant quote here>
My blog
User avatar
Malius
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:56 pm
Location: Liverpool (actually a Londoner)


Re: Music

Postby Therion » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:12 pm

"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
User avatar
Therion
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:35 am


Re: Music

Postby Shaggy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:12 pm

I know it's not the 'in' thing, but (as well as rock, metal, blues, ska & lots of other stuff) I love classical music - I was brought up on it. Sadly, I've neglected it for some years now... but I've recently got the bug again. Decided to have a bit of a blitz on it this year, and am going to concentrate on one composer per month for the rest of the year. As I'll be cheering on England in the Six Nations this month, I'm going to start with Edward Elgar for February. March will be Arcangelo Corelli (I particularly love the Baroque period, and I know very little about that particular Baroque composer) and as I'm going to be spending 10 days in Budapest in April, I'll do Franz Liszt that month. I'm also looking at Handel, Mendelssohn, Bach (of course!), Vivaldi, Dvorak and Mozart for others... but that still leaves me with 2 more slots.

Any suggestions?
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
User avatar
Shaggy
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 am
Location: Nottingham


Re: Music

Postby Xisor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Shaggy wrote:I particularly love the Baroque period


As they say: if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!

Not much of a recommendation, I'm afraid, but I'm at that stage of amateur enthusiasm for classical where Classic FM simply doesn't really cut it any more, so I'm keen to hear some pointers too. The last I got into new-territory-wise was Puccini, and that was only because I found an old 'best hits-CD' ( :roll: ) around the house!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
User avatar
Xisor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4987
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:13 pm
Location: Canterbury


Re: Music

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:45 pm

Reading Phonogram the singles club makes me nostalgic for when I used to listen to music more. 90% of the time my radio is on radio 4 listening to current affairs, documentaries or comedies. When I was a teen I was religiously listening to bbc 6 music, finding new songs and old ones that were before my time that I loved and would've otherwise missed.

Since reading I've been listening to more Mountain Goats, Art Brut, Los campesinos, Blondie, Talking heads and it's been good.
User avatar
schaferwhat‽
 
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:25 pm
Location: Behind your eyes looking out in terror.


Re: Music

Postby Shaggy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:50 pm

Xisor wrote:
Shaggy wrote:I particularly love the Baroque period


As they say: if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!

<groan...>
:lol:

Not much of a recommendation, I'm afraid, but I'm at that stage of amateur enthusiasm for classical where Classic FM simply doesn't really cut it any more, so I'm keen to hear some pointers too. The last I got into new-territory-wise was Puccini, and that was only because I found an old 'best hits-CD' ( :roll: ) around the house!

Actually, it was Classic FM that re-awoke my love of classical music... my 'new' (03-plate) car only has a radio-cassette for a stereo, so no more CDs or MP3 player until I can afford a replacement... and let's face it, most FM radio stations are utter cack... so it's been locked on Classic FM for the past month. Light and fluffy perhaps, but diverse enough to get things going again.

Thinking of those last 2 slots... I suppose I could take the easy way out and pick the likes of Beethoven & Tchaikovsky... but that's a bit of a cop-out, wouldn't you say? Need another Corelli or Mendelssohn... one I'm not all that familiar with. Brahms & Haydn? Plenty of time to choose, I suppose...
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
User avatar
Shaggy
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 am
Location: Nottingham


Re: Music

Postby Shaggy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:52 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:Since reading I've been listening to more Mountain Goats, Art Brut, Los campesinos, Blondie, Talking heads and it's been good.

Talking Heads... now there's a band that I really should investigate a bit more closely... more than just a 'Best Of' CD, anyway. "Nothing But Flowers" has to be my favourite song of theirs.
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
User avatar
Shaggy
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 am
Location: Nottingham


Re: Music

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:30 am

Good collection, Schafe. I've recently taken the plunge, of sorts, into the Mountain Goats as well. I can tell they offer an addictive nectar, yet willingly suckle at their trough.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
User avatar
Mossy Toes
 
Posts: 2284
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 am


Re: Music

Postby groovysl » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:55 pm

Shaggy wrote:
Xisor wrote:
Shaggy wrote:I particularly love the Baroque period


As they say: if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!

<groan...>
:lol:

Not much of a recommendation, I'm afraid, but I'm at that stage of amateur enthusiasm for classical where Classic FM simply doesn't really cut it any more, so I'm keen to hear some pointers too. The last I got into new-territory-wise was Puccini, and that was only because I found an old 'best hits-CD' ( :roll: ) around the house!

Actually, it was Classic FM that re-awoke my love of classical music... my 'new' (03-plate) car only has a radio-cassette for a stereo, so no more CDs or MP3 player until I can afford a replacement... and let's face it, most FM radio stations are utter cack... so it's been locked on Classic FM for the past month. Light and fluffy perhaps, but diverse enough to get things going again.

Thinking of those last 2 slots... I suppose I could take the easy way out and pick the likes of Beethoven & Tchaikovsky... but that's a bit of a cop-out, wouldn't you say? Need another Corelli or Mendelssohn... one I'm not all that familiar with. Brahms & Haydn? Plenty of time to choose, I suppose...


If you love the Baroque, maybe Telemann, the not composer whose oeuvre makes Bach look lazy. Start with his two sets of Twelve Fantasias without bass, although I'd recommend anything by him.
Or despite what you said about Beethoven, I would suggest a month on his late works, (for my taste) the late string quartets and piano concertos took music to a plane I've never heard anyone match since or before, and some of the early works, the early trios for example, aren't often heard, but are lovely works in the classical style.
groovysl
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:26 pm


Re: Music

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:18 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:Good collection, Schafe. I've recently taken the plunge, of sorts, into the Mountain Goats as well. I can tell they offer an addictive nectar, yet willingly suckle at their trough.


Have you got any Silver Jews Mossy? I suspect they'd be right up your alleyway.
User avatar
schaferwhat‽
 
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:25 pm
Location: Behind your eyes looking out in terror.


Re: Music

Postby J D Dunsany » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:14 pm

I've bought the following CDs over the last week or so and I'm working my way through them.

Ayreon - 'Into The Electric Castle'
The Gathering - 'Disclosure'
King's X - 'Gretchen Goes To Nebraska'
Opeth - 'Watershed'
Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe - 'Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe'

The Ayreon is what I'm listening to at the moment. As someone who grew up on the original version of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds I'm a sucker for this sort of thing - progressive, dramatic music with multiple vocalists and a strong narrative element. Stand out tracks for the first CD are probably 'Isis and Osiris' and 'Rainbow Bridge'. The revelation of the album is undoubtedly Fish who plays 'The Highlander' and shows some not inconsiderable acting ability as well as vocal talent in doing so. Top stuff.

The King's X album is their second one and is probably my favourite of theirs. I used to own it on cassette tape some time ago but it disappeared in one of the great purges that occasionally take place at the Chateau Dunsany. (I love my wife dearly but she is positively puritanical when the mood to launch a crusade against 'clutter' takes her - all I can say is thank the Lord almighty for digital storage!) Songs like 'Over My Head', 'Summerland' and 'The Burning Down' are just awesome. I shall be reacquainting myself with this album quite a bit over the next few weeks, I think.

The Opeth and the Gathering album were both in HMV's blue cross sale. The rest I picked up from the comic shop here in Southport - the owner has a nice sideline in celtic, folk and prog CDs. There's a ton of stuff I'd like to buy there at some point, but I'll have to wait till after pay day before going back there again.

All the best!

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
User avatar
J D Dunsany
 
Posts: 1484
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:00 pm
Location: Southport, UK


Re: Music

Postby Mossy Toes » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Have not, Schafe. I will... explore.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
User avatar
Mossy Toes
 
Posts: 2284
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 am


Re: Music

Postby Shaggy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:35 pm

groovysl wrote:If you love the Baroque, maybe Telemann, the not composer whose oeuvre makes Bach look lazy. Start with his two sets of Twelve Fantasias without bass, although I'd recommend anything by him.
Or despite what you said about Beethoven, I would suggest a month on his late works, (for my taste) the late string quartets and piano concertos took music to a plane I've never heard anyone match since or before, and some of the early works, the early trios for example, aren't often heard, but are lovely works in the classical style.

Not sure about doing the Beethoven, but re the Telemann... thank-you for the recommendation, I think I'll take you up on that one.
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
User avatar
Shaggy
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 am
Location: Nottingham


Re: Music

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:20 am

Mossy Toes wrote:Have not, Schafe. I will... explore.


The song New Orleans isn't my favourite of theirs but contains the lyrics "There is a house in New Orleans. Not the one you heard about, I'm talking 'bout another house."
User avatar
schaferwhat‽
 
Posts: 2887
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:25 pm
Location: Behind your eyes looking out in terror.

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest