Music

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Music

Postby sam vimes » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:54 pm

wow video game music has come a long way since the 16 bit era, just look at this performance of Final Fantasy 8's most iconic track:
FF8 Liberi Fatali LIVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbX-lBlwNQM
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Jim Shady » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:14 pm

If we have any Megadave er, Megadeth fan's here. UK tour in June;

Jun 3 Newcastle Academy
Jun 4 Glasgow Cademy
Jun 5 Manchester Academy
Jun 6 London Brixton Academy

Hopefully going to the Newcastle date. Shame they won't have Testament supporting this time...
Ah me lads, ye shud only seen us gannin',
We pass'd the foaks upon the road just as they wor stannin';
Thor wes lots o' lads an' lasses there, all wi' smiling faces,
Gawn alang the Scotswood Road, to see the Blaydon Races
Jim Shady

Postby Vivia » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:13 pm

More from the Rosso Corsa Collective (Lazerhawk), this time Nightcrawler.
Nightcrawler 'Road Blaster' EP
Soundcloud is new to me, I was listening to music not on the list and couldn't see the title.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby J D Dunsany » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:42 pm

Currently listening to Lost Songs, by ... And They Shall Know Us By The Trail Of Dead. Awesome stuff.
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

Postby Xisor » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:51 am

Anyone ever heard of Glitch Mob? I bought Drink the Sea as an album from them a week or two on an odd whim. Exceedingly enjoyable.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 am

Gaaaaaah I absolutely love The Glitch Mob. Drink The Sea is proper power-mode music. You can go onto their website to download a bunch of free remixes of it (by other musicians) and mixtapes (by them, fusing their songs with other people's), plus some live performance recordings of other (not quite as good) stuff of theirs--all for free. Got to love "Fortune Days," "We Swarm," "Between Two Points," etc.

Their more recent EP We Can Make the World Stop is also good, (including the eponymous song, which is great and has a good music video, and "Warrior Concerto"--a glitch cover of a concerto of Vivaldi's) though preciously short: a mere 3 songs. Ah well, they're in the studio making their next album now, so I'm not complaining. Much.

So yes, one could say I've heard of them.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Xisor » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:40 am

8-) :twisted: :ugeek:

I think that about covers that. I've an immense infatuation with Fortune Days especially. There's something in the ludicrous simplicity of the arrangement that... overpowers everything. Glorious!

*listens*
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Mossy Toes » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:56 am

We share that track as our favorite, then, though I hold "We Can Make the World Stop" as a close second of theirs--albeit not part of Drink The Sea.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:15 am

Made one of my infrequent pilgrimages to Amoeba Records and sacrificed my wallet upon the altar there to be found. Support local record stores, listen to musicians who are just breaking onto the big scene coming home for a small performance… good times. The first entry on this list is signed, accordingly.

- Cardboard Castles, Watsky
- Franz Ferdinand, Franz Ferdinand
- That's Why God Made the Radio, The Beach Boys
- The Reminder, Feist
- Whatever and Ever, Amen, Ben Folds Five
- Around the Well, Iron & Wine
- In the Court of the Crimson King, King Crimson
- Strange Brew, the Very Best of Cream
- Picaresque, The Decemberists
- Superwolf, Bonny "Prince" Billy
- Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, The Flaming Lips
- Classic Sinatra, Frank Sinatra
- The Carpenter, The Avett Brothers
- Unknown Pleasures, Joy Division
- Heretic Pride, The Mountain Goats
- Forever Today and Let Me Introduce My Friends, I'm From Barcelona
- Everything All the Time, Band of Horses
- Cracked Rear View, Hootie and the Blowfish
- Ringside, Ringside
- Light & Magic, Ladytron
- Under the Iron Sea and Perfect Symmetry, by Keane
- One Way Ticket To Hell… and Back, The Darkness
Mossy Toes

Postby Xisor » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Best news yet!

http://randomaccessmemories.com/

Yeah!

Image Image

Also, Mossy: Been listening to the "We Can Make The World Stop" 'short-release'(?) too, tremendous!
xisor.wordpress
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:00 am

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=187902

Device's second pre-release track. David Draiman is a metal god! :D

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby sam vimes » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 pm

well Stratovaruis have released a new album and it's quite good, you can really tell its a band written and performed album rather than just one guy writing all the songs, they've uploaded a few vids of them performing live in Moscow for the first time a few links below for those interested:

Ok sod the links from there actual channel it was recorded on a phone cam high quality but just way to much bass and noise for it to deal with, of course I'm a bit buggered when it comes to buying it as HMV is now closed down online it is then.

Stratovarius-"Abandon" ( Nemesis 2013 )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYkvHMy5__E

Stratovarius - Fantasy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iC_zlYlkZw

Castles In The Air - Stratovarius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-GAr7EjHRk

Well hope you like and feed back would be very welcome, and Lotn is Davids new stuff in a similar vein to the song warrior as damn I love that song.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Currently listening to The Next Day, David Bowie. The Thin White Duke is back, and then some. Thank God he isn't growing old gracefully.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Jim Shady » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:34 pm

Few fans of metal here so maybe of interest to one or two. Metal festival here in Newcastle on 8th December. Confirmed to play are Napalm Death, Graveworm, Xerath amongst a few others confirmed already.

Northern Darkness on FB
Main Site
Last edited by Jim Shady on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Shady

Postby Mossy Toes » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:03 am

So very much an ear-worm. I may have to get this album when it drops...
Mossy Toes

Postby Therion » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:20 pm

http://ogrish.bandcamp.com/
A band where my friend plays on keyboard has released their first digital album this month. I'm listening to them since 2010 and during the last 3 years they managed to transform from a depressive black metal band to an atmospheric black metal band a bit similar to Emperor from the times of Wrath of the Tyrant.
Their music is very dense and they have atmospheric lyrics.

Some other stuff that I'm listening to a lot lately:
free download:
http://archive.org/details/Zathura-Tast ... litscnd005

free download:
http://archive.org/details/Dtrash170-Ch ... mberPalace

free download:
http://archive.org/details/Dtrash169-Th ... titute_596
bandcamp site with lyrics and links to videos:
http://thefirstseed.bandcamp.com/album/ ... prostitute
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:35 am

Been marinating myself in Tom Waits and The Mountain Goats for these past few days to an excessive degree, so I decided (as wonderful as it has been) to shake things up for a bit by making a sudden and total directional change in terms of what I'm listening to. So, without further ado, my latest... acquisitions, getting myself caught up a bit on a variety of recent developments from the psychadelic/experimental/electro spectrum of music:

Animal Collective - Centipede Hz
Avey Tare - Down There
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
The Flaming Lips - The Terror
Crystal Castles - III
Passion Pit - Gossamer
Yeasayer - Fragrant World

Edit: Also...
Atoms For Peace - Amok
Godspeed You! Black Emperor! - Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Stars - The North

Downward, now, into the carefully constructed medleys of dissonance and cacophony that are wrung from the most depressive nooks of the human spirit.
Mossy Toes

Postby Major Rawne » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Been a little while since I posted here with what I am currently listening to. Bought some new stuff with some of the money I got for my birthday, and new music is always nice for an upcoming holiday.

OneRepublic - Native
The Offspring - Americana
Blink-182 - Neighborhoods
Tenacious D - Rize of the Fenix
The Book of Mormon (That hilarious and totally offensive musical)

Going to see what else I would like to pick up as well. I'm thinking some Death Cab for Cutie, BRMC and a soundtrack or two. And anything else that takes my fancy.
Major Rawne

Postby Jim Shady » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Do the lyrics to Cult by Evile sounds too much like the Word Bearers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0P2Gr5Ucfk
Jim Shady

Postby J D Dunsany » Thu May 02, 2013 9:05 pm

Lots of early Genesis. (I have a beard. I'm allowed.)

Also The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed which is a distinctly odd experience - some decent songs ('Nights In White Satin' is a really quite amazing song; nothing else on the album really comes close to it) presented in a setting of lush orchestration of the sort you'll find in an early 60s romantic movie. Just... a bit weird. The last few songs aren't particularly progressive at all - they're just good 60s (somewhat Beatles-influenced) pop songs. Odd, but very listenable.

Not sure if I've already mentioned Threshold's March of Progress, but I will again, because it's very good. Damian Wilson's vocals are rather fab and the quality of the album is pretty uniformly good.

JDD
JDD story of the moment: Glory
J D Dunsany

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic