Music

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Music

Postby Raziel4707 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Listened to Motorhea's "Aces up my sleeve" during a hospital operation today. Damn, that was awesome!
Raziel4707

Postby Raziel4707 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:16 am

shadowhawk2008 wrote:Well these days I am listening to Nicole Scherzinger's new album, Killer love; Timbaland's Presents Shock Value, Britney Spears' Femme Fatale. Then there is a whole bunch of random anime music, particularly Rurouni Kenshin, Gundam (lots and lots of this), Samurai Champloo. Big fan of Nami Tamaki as well, she is just too good.

Pretty hardcore stuff!
:D

Nothing wrong with a bit of variety though.
Raziel4707

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:19 am

I was a little apprehensive about posting at first. Almost none of the bands/groups you guys posted are something that have ever interested me... although I have heard of Green Day and maybe a couple others. After all I can hardly say I like Metallica when I only listened to one album of theirs twice about 7 years back. :mrgreen:
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Raziel4707 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:22 am

no worries!

Other slightly less metal stuff that I like:

Imelda May,
The Corrs,
Eminem,
Dean Martin,
Sammy Davis Junior,
Frank Sinatra,
Johnny Cash
Raziel4707

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:26 am

Raziel4707 wrote:no worries!

Other slightly less metal stuff that I like:

Imelda May,
The Corrs,
Eminem,
Dean Martin,
Sammy Davis Junior,
Frank Sinatra,
Johnny Cash

Ah the Corrs, heard a few songs of their over the years. Now that you mention them, I need to get their collection! Not a big fan of Eminem. Johnny Cash is awesome. There is a WoW machinima (actually 2 that I know of) which are inspired by his songs - highwayman and another one I can't recall at the moment grrr.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby The Hillock » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Like the good Mr Hawk, I've not posted much on here as it seems to have become more of a thread about metal. However, inspired by his shining example I shall advance my preferences for your delectation and amusement.

Oddly, I'm an ex-metalhead, I used to listen to Slayer, Chimera, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, right through to the nu-metal explosion with Slipknot, Korn etc. Out of all of those the only bands I still listen to are Slipknot (only the last two albums really) and Maiden. These days I really find it a bit wearisome, I think I've toned down in my old age. About the heaviest thing I listen to at the moment is Audioslave or Black Stone Cherry.

I'd definitely say that my favourite genre right now is rap and hiphop, there are so many excellent, previously underground MCs in the states who are now being recognised by the mainstream (Wale and Wiz Khalifa being the two most obvious examples having both been in the UK top 10 with tracks unfortunately nothing like as good as their earlier mix tapes). The bigger 'superstar' rappers are putting out some good stuff too - Kanye's latest album is a proper return to form, while Nas and Jay Z never really lost their form in the first place. Eminem's latest album is a step back in the right direction for him too.

The UK is producing some excellent artists as well, really enjoying Wretch 32 right now. Example too, but more of his earlier stuff before he got signed and went all electro-pop. Plan B's first album was great. There's a UK rapper called Ty who has never quite made it big but is absolutely brilliant, I would recommend anyone to have a listen. Kano, Donea'o, Wiley, Lethal Bizzle - all making good stuff.

Also into a lot of soul and r&b, currently on my phone are John Legend, Jay Sean, Plan B again (the second album, Defamation of Strickland Banks), a bit of classic Marvin Gaye and Luther Vandross. There's a girl called Dionne Bromfield who has just released her first single and has an amazing voice, I think she's the first person to sign on Amy Winehouse's new label (just hope she doesn't inherit Amy's crack addictions).

Things I'm not such a fan of - a lot of the more 'commerical' UK rap artists who seem to produce very generic, poppy music. It has it's place, but that place is not in my music collection. I'm referring primarily to N-Dubz, but also Chipmunk, Tinie Tempah, Tinchy Strider etc. I appreciate that they've highlighted the fact you can make be from the UK, make hip hop, and be succesful - this has opened the door for (frankly) more talented but slightly less accessible artists
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:57 pm

I've rediscovered my fascination for Jay Sean recently. Been listening to Ride It and Down quite a bit, plus his first (?) album that has Stolen and Eyes on You.

shadowhawk2008

Postby The Hillock » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Some of his early stuff was a bit more rap than r&b, I preferred that. Down wasn't one of my favourites, I thought it was quite weak compared to some of his other tracks. Surprised that was the one that made it to US no. 1.

If you feel like it, try to find some of the older tracks where he does a sort of internal 'versus' thing - his older, more grimey rap self versus his newer, more soulful self in a rap / sing off. Kind of like the T.I. vs. T.I.P thing that TI keeps doing on his albums.

Hillock's terrain thread
The Hillock

Postby Insomniac » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:52 am

I love some good hip-hop. I'm partial to earlier 90's artists like Wu-Tang, Geto Boys, Pimp C, etc. but a new group that is bound to blow up is OFWGKTA; they have an energy that shares more with hardcore punk than rap, but they've got great flow and a style all their own.

A friend made some great mixtapes of old rap artists, MCs, etc:

http://apocalypsewestcoast.blogspot.com
Insomniac

Postby The Hillock » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Ah, Wu-Tang. Excellent choice. One of my favourite albums, actually, is the soundtrack to Ghost Dog which The Rza put together. It's... it's... hmm, I have no words. Suffice to say it's pretty darn good.

Hillock's terrain thread
The Hillock

Postby Raziel4707 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:12 am

Saxon 21/04/2011 - Falmouth Princess Pavillions gig review.

Well, Saxon gig was rather good!

Fury UK

Three piece band that made rather a good impression with their first song, and then utterly failed to do anything different for the rest of their set. A good band of three very talented people whose complete lack of variety made them incredibly dull to watch. Great musicians and very tight as a band, but when the singer anounced that "this next track is called maaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnslaughter!" it reminded me distinctly of Bill Bailey when he took the piss out of Slayer on his "Bewilderness" tour, and I wasn't the only one who started laughing. That said, if they were to take on another member who had more of a flair for writing, they could have a bright future ahead of them.

Wolfsbane

Brilliant musicianship, great songs and a very talented lead singer, who unfortunately merely hinted that the band was "Wolfsbane" while shouting very loudly that he was Blaze Bayley. Sadly, this continued at some length, until half of the crowd left. They even had a "meet and great" with Wolfsbane (or in other words with Blaze while the rest of the band apparently evaporated) which very few people went to, to the degree that I was about a foot from the man himself as I strolled into the beer tent, where the queue was considerably larger. Such a big name should have been something of a coup for a small venue like the Falmouth Princess Pavillions, but the band was drowned by ego, an incredibly insincere set of comments about how amazing the crowd were (the place had 400 people in it, minus those that walked out) and an endless chant of "You fat bastard" from those down the front. The reaction towards them was so overt and negative that I actually asked people why they were leaving and got the reply "I've never forgiven him for ruining Iron Maiden" and "He's the most talented bag of hot air in the world." A shame, but a sentiment that I can only echo.

Saxon

Well, what can I say? I often wonder how the hell bands like Saxon, who have been on the scene for forty odd years, don't just get bored of their own songs. But if they do, you'd get no clue at all of that from Biff Byford, who powered his way through classics like "Wheels of Steel" "747 (Strangers in the night)" "Motorcycle Man" "Heavy Metal Thunder" mixed with tracks from their new album like "Call to arms". The crowd were packed in, ranging in ages from late sixties to a kid in front of me who couldn't have been more than eight years old (and who the sound technician allowed to come and stand behind the mixing desk so he could see better, being short and all) and everyone loved it. The audience participation was deafening, even in such a small venue, the showmanship, musicianship and production was perfect and everything felt fresh, new and potent, even though most of the songs were penned when I was a baby. When a guy at the front got horribly squashed, Biff shouted "Get that man a chair and a hot woman", then pulled him on stage, got him a chair, a bottle of water and someone to check him over. A class act and, in spite of the pain, the guy probably had the best gig of his life, because he was sat on stage with Biff popping over to check on him between songs. How cool?

All in all, second best gig I have ever been to and second only to the mighty Iron Maiden, whose stage production is more theatrical and entertaining on its own that many bands even achieve through their music. If you get the chance to go and see Saxon, you should, because they simply do not make them like that any more.
Raziel4707

Postby Squiggle » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:29 am

I have a secret love for two bands, [i]The Dresden Dolls[\i] and more recently [i]The Bodice Rippers[\i]. Im not exactly sure how to describe it but some have called it "punk rock cabaret"

Try [i]Anachronistic girl [\i] by the former or search myspace for the latter.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:53 am

Operator Please is in the car but I've been loving Walk the River by Guilemots since I got it on Tuesday.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Rob P » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:02 am

Funnily, on another forum someone was saying that 'you 40k guys are into that metal stuff'.

I didn't think the relationship between Warhammer and metal was that strong, but you can't argue with the majority.

I have been listening to:

Paramore (Love them)
Busted
Meatloaf
Adele
Imelda May
Nirvana
The Cranberries
Six-Pence None The Richer (Mainly covers)
The Beautiful South

I love songs with a narrative.
Rob P

Postby Raziel4707 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:08 am

Imelda May! Good man.

Anyone who is into both metal and warhammer and would like to combine the two should really give "Bolt Thrower" a go. Into the eye of terror and World Eater are two of my personal favourites.
Raziel4707

Postby Big Barney Ross » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:11 pm

Raziel4707 wrote:The reaction towards them was so overt and negative that I actually asked people why they were leaving and got the reply "I've never forgiven him for ruining Iron Maiden" and "He's the most talented bag of hot air in the world."

These people have obviously never heard anything from Blaze Bayley's solo career which has spanned 5 albums, with the last two being masterpieces that beat anything Maiden have put out in years. But I know, it's always easier to bash someone than actually taking a few minutes to, in this case, listen to some actual material of theirs.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby Raziel4707 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:24 am

Big Barney Ross wrote:
Raziel4707 wrote:The reaction towards them was so overt and negative that I actually asked people why they were leaving and got the reply "I've never forgiven him for ruining Iron Maiden" and "He's the most talented bag of hot air in the world."

These people have obviously never heard anything from Blaze Bayley's solo career which has spanned 5 albums, with the last two being masterpieces that beat anything Maiden have put out in years. But I know, it's always easier to bash someone than actually taking a few minutes to, in this case, listen to some actual material of theirs.

In fairness mate, all you're doing is bashing the crowd because you disagree with them and assuming that the people have never listened to any of his music. That's hardly fair, you really don't know that that's the case and they're not here to defend themselves. Musically he's certainly an incredible singer and no-one doubted that. His vocal range is exceptional and the band were fantastic, but it was his behaviour that upset people as opposed to his ability. A shame really, but I get the distinct impression from what I saw and the people that I spoke to that he's standing in his own way. If he could only rein it in a little bit. It was really unfair to Wolfsbane the way he was going on, I mean he's got the Blaze Bayley band so he gets to be the main man with a bunch of session musicians if he wants, but he gave the very clear impression that they were merely his backing band. I've worked with singers and guitarists like that and it's really no fun at all.
Raziel4707

Postby Squiggle » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:10 am

I think there is always going to be a difference between the musicians as individuals, and their musical output.

I make a point of never getting too involved in the actual musicians personalities, because in so many cases they turn out to be absolute tools. Unfortunately, in many cases, fist-clenching arrogance and a great stage presence go hand in hand. And thats without even getting near the drink and drug abuse which so many high profile musicians have, in the past at least, indulged in.
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Big Barney Ross » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:18 am

@Raziel4707
But, I'm in fact not bashing the crowd blindly. I mean, you said you asked them why they left and why they had such negative reactions to Blaze Bayley, and got the reply that "He ruined Maiden", and that he's "a bag of hot air".

And the first presumptions just isn't true, and anyone who HAS heard BB solo stuff would never - ever - say such a statement. I mean, it was obvious Blaze's singing style and vocal range was different from Dickinson's, and yet Maiden never lifted a finger to slightly adapt their material to suit his voice. Given the circumstances, Blaze did his best - and he did a very fine job at that.

(Also, it would be interesting to hear how, for example, Dickinson would fare singing Blaze's solo stuff which was of course made to suit his voice.)

About the "bag of hot air" - can't really attest to that, because I haven't seen the man live ever (which I regret), but by the words of a close friend of mine who did, Blaze was incredibly down to earth and nice to fans, conversing, greeting, sharing a drink, etc. Maybe the situation's changed, I don't know. I can't pass any judgment here, because I simply don't know the man.

But I know his music, and those who "hate" Blaze and assume he's a bad musician because "he ruined Maiden" are plain ignorant. Like I said, if they heard his solo stuff, they wouldn't have said such a thing in the first place.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby Raziel4707 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:48 am

That's all fine, but people are entitled to not like him or his music. You can't just say that the opinion of another person is categorically untrue because it differs from your own. Your own love of his music is not empirical evidence or proof that you can use to contradict another person's opinion as it is simply that, an opinion. As such it is no more, or less, valid than anyone else's but the world is not divided into people who agree with you and people who are wrong. A person's personality will always divide opinion, but on the night it was that which turned off the majority of the crowd. Musically though, and seeing that your friend really didn't mind him, go see him live. No way I'm knocking the man's talent. Though I prefer Bruce Dickinson's style and music myself, Blaze has a voice born to sing metal in stadia and huge arenas.

Squig: Very true. I used to be a big fan of the bands Static X and The Murderdolls, both of which involved the guitarist Tripp Eisen at that time. When it turned out that he was pretending to be a look-alike of himself in order to gain access to underage girls, who he then raped, I found it impossible to listen to either band without feeling sick. Fortunately he's in jail but I don't think Static X really came back from it.
Raziel4707

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic