Music

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Music

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:09 am

Raziel4707 wrote:Squig: Very true. I used to be a big fan of the bands Static X and The Murderdolls, both of which involved the guitarist Tripp Eisen at that time. When it turned out that he was pretending to be a look-alike of himself in order to gain access to underage girls, who he then raped, I found it impossible to listen to either band without feeling sick. Fortunately he's in jail but I don't think Static X really came back from it.

That is pretty terrible. :evil:
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Squiggle » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Id like to point out that i was not suggesting all rock musicians are abusing their position and influence to engage in sexual activity with underage girls,more a general point that they do not necessarilly make good role models!!

Razs example is pretty awful though!
If my mind's the weapon, my heart's the extra clip

Forum Moderator

@sqyiggle
Squiggle

Postby Raziel4707 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:19 pm

Thank goodness he didn't have Roman Polanski's lawyer :)
Raziel4707

Postby sam vimes » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:58 pm

I was going to post this musing as a seperate thread but thought smeg it, its still relavent any ways a while ago whilst out on the piss, my friends and I fell to discussing music and vocalist's in particular kept croping up, my good friend ryan pointed put that more and more independent and smaller metal type bands, are singing more distorted and deeper vocal range, so much so that its more like growling and unclear.

What I'm curious about is why is this the case as when he was (Ryan) at a free gig in a pub showing various bands, one of the bands sang in a similar way to Stratovarius's Timokoti Kotipelto who sings in this kind of style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpSHsfem ... re=related

Quite high pitched I know but very clear and easy to follow, the band got the crickets then after a few songs from them, they shuffled off then another band came on singing like this the band Vader:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yc3OtaDfzg And the crowd loved it even though it was like listening to a dog growl.

Now personally I dont mind this type of vocalist but it seems to becoming well worse so much so that in a few songs I listend to on, one of those random mixes that youtube likes to throw your way, that I couldn't make a damnn word out, and it does me that it seems to be REALLY popular is this just because I live in the uk and, music from the netherlands, germany and similar places just dont seem to be as popular/strong over here as the growling deeper vocals I seem to keep encountering ?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Insomniac » Sun May 01, 2011 3:33 am

sam vimes wrote:I was going to post this musing as a seperate thread but thought smeg it, its still relavent any ways a while ago whilst out on the piss, my friends and I fell to discussing music and vocalist's in particular kept croping up, my good friend ryan pointed put that more and more independent and smaller metal type bands, are singing more distorted and deeper vocal range, so much so that its more like growling and unclear.

What I'm curious about is why is this the case as when he was (Ryan) at a free gig in a pub showing various bands, one of the bands sang in a similar way to Stratovarius's Timokoti Kotipelto who sings in this kind of style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpSHsfem ... re=related

Quite high pitched I know but very clear and easy to follow, the band got the crickets then after a few songs from them, they shuffled off then another band came on singing like this the band Vader:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yc3OtaDfzg And the crowd loved it even though it was like listening to a dog growl.

Now personally I dont mind this type of vocalist but it seems to becoming well worse so much so that in a few songs I listend to on, one of those random mixes that youtube likes to throw your way, that I couldn't make a damnn word out, and it does me that it seems to be REALLY popular is this just because I live in the uk and, music from the netherlands, germany and similar places just dont seem to be as popular/strong over here as the growling deeper vocals I seem to keep encountering ?

It's nothing new. Some call that style cookie-cutter vocals. SKV used a deep growl/yell on GISM's "Detestation" back in 1983 and on all the other releases. I don't think that this style of vocals is popular in main stream metal - it's not radio friendly - but its very prevalent in doom, sludge, hardcore, black metal, death metal and more underground acts. If you want some examples I'd check out:

Corrupted (Japan)
Arm & Sword Of A Bastard God (US)
Coffins (Japan)
GISM (Japan)
Spring Break! (US) (At times because they were a thrash party band)

I like the growl vocals, especially if it fits with the music - primal explosions of the soul. At times, clean vocals seem so out of place.
Insomniac

Postby G Thunderhammer » Sun May 01, 2011 3:40 am

Certain vocals fit certain bands and their styles. Some even manage both such as Orphaned Land. Kobi Fahri can go from sounding like a prophet to a nice death metal grunt and make it work. It's all preference really. Personally I prefer a good singer such as Jorn Lande, Russell Allen or Damien Wilson. But I wouldn't want any of them fronting Immortal or Amon Amarth.
G Thunderhammer

Postby Raziel4707 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:42 am

I think that part of it is that it's relatively easy to do if you've got a deep-ish voice and can keep growling for an hour without losing your voice. When people like Glenn Benton did it, it was a new thing, no-one had heard that before and it really fit well with the pseudo-satanic ambience of everything that Deicide did. Now though, it's becoming a cliche. Personally I prefer singers like Corey Taylor who strike a tone somewhere in the middle, where you can hear the words and know what he's saying but just from his tone you know that he's fecking angry about it.
Raziel4707

Postby sam vimes » Mon May 02, 2011 3:46 pm

I understand what your saying and I'll check out some of those bands, but im curious what do you think of singers like kai hansen from gamma ray, as he's able to do a fair range of vocals, if your curious about how he sings check out dethrone tyranny, the heart of the unicorn and the valley of the kings as it amazes at how he can vary his voice in those songs.
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby G Thunderhammer » Mon May 02, 2011 3:58 pm

I can't stand Kai Hansen's voice haha. It's the rasp that goes with it that just throws me off. Check out anything by Jorn Lande if you want to hear a good voice that can have a bit of grunt while still singing magnificently. In fact if you like Kai Hansen's stuff then check out Masterplans first two albums. It's like Helloween/Gamma Ray but well... better haha.
G Thunderhammer

Postby Big Barney Ross » Mon May 02, 2011 7:05 pm

@G Thunderhammer
Have you heard of Arjen Lucassen's Star One project? I bring it up because the super-group features 4 vocalists, two of which you've mentioned: Damian Wilson, Russell Allen along with the excellent Dan Swano and Floor Jansen. The band makes songs inspired mostly by classic sci-fi films and series.

My favorites include:
24 Hours - Escape from New York
Digital Rain - The Matrix
Victim of the Modern Age - A Clockwork Orange

Highly recommended!

Also, what did you think of Allen and Lande pairing up for their three albums - The Battle, The Revenge and The Showdown? Even though I consider the two amongst my favorite vocalists, this joint project is rather boring to me, mostly because o the music. As for Lande, I prefer him in Masterplan.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby sam vimes » Mon May 02, 2011 7:38 pm

well im gonna be a busy boy listening to yours and BBR'S recs at the weekend

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby G Thunderhammer » Mon May 02, 2011 7:59 pm

@Big Barney Ross

Yeah I've heard the Star One project. The first album is better to be honest. As for the Allen/Lande project, the first two albums are good enough but the third just does nothing for me. And IMO the best Jorn stuff is probably the second Ark album, Burn the Sun, progressive metal at it's absolute finest.
G Thunderhammer

Postby Big Barney Ross » Mon May 02, 2011 10:48 pm

I feel the contrary. I heard Star One's first album, but it left me pretty indifferent and I never got the urge to listen to more than a few times, so I kind of forgot about them. And then I hear they've put out this new album after a long wait. Decided to check it out regardless of my opinion on the first, and it blew me away. Brilliant stuff - both the regular and the bonus CD.

As for 'Burn the Sun', it's one of the few Jorn albums I haven't heard yet. Will correct that, since progressive metal is what I'm into very much these days.

Btw, anyone heard Danzig's latest effort - Deth Red Sabaoth? Been listening to it non-stop for the past two weeks. Awesome stuff, really. A return to his roots, but only heavier. Here's a few songs:

Black Candy - my favorite
Night Star Hel
Left Hand Rise Above

Danzig is definitely back!
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon May 02, 2011 11:16 pm

G Thunderhammer wrote:Masterplan

Mmm, "Wounds"
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Insomniac » Tue May 03, 2011 4:12 am

sam vimes wrote:I understand what your saying and I'll check out some of those bands, but im curious what do you think of singers like kai hansen from gamma ray, as he's able to do a fair range of vocals, if your curious about how he sings check out dethrone tyranny, the heart of the unicorn and the valley of the kings as it amazes at how he can vary his voice in those songs.

I'm tired, but if this is directed at me, then I have no idea who his Kai fellow is. My knowledge of modern progressive metal is beyond bad. Now, if you ask me about 80's Cali punk or bands under the Holy Terror banner, then yeah, I'll talk your ear off.
Insomniac

Postby sam vimes » Tue May 03, 2011 8:43 am

Lol shadow kai hansen is the front man of the band gamma ray, which formed around 86 if memory serves and he was also lead guitarist,? in helloween again if memory serves, just woken up need more coffee lol, he along with blind guardian, stratovarius and the two bands he's affilated with, are often regarded as the creators of the power metal genre, stratovarius in particular, did a lot of progressive stuff in thier older albums, check out the songs playing with fire and destiny from the destiny album and oh joy cant see what im tying :(

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Insomniac » Tue May 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Yeah, I'm going to pass. Power Metal ain't my scene.
Insomniac

Postby G Thunderhammer » Wed May 04, 2011 6:43 pm

@ Big Barney Ross - I just don't rate the new Star One. 24 Hours is fantastic but for the most part its a carbon copy of their first only trying to be more serious which takes away from it. And whilst Star One is good it's no Ayreon haha. Everything barring Actual Fantasy and that 10101111001 (whatever) at least.

But yeah Burn the Sun by Ark is absolutely phenomonal, I'd recommend it very highly.
G Thunderhammer

Postby Big Barney Ross » Thu May 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Just wanted to bring this band to attention.

They're from Sweden, they're called Ghost and their kind of music is totally 70s. Meaning, it's awesome. Ghost feels like a mix of Blue Oyster Cult, Mercyful Fate, with some Sabbath thrown in it. They're a gimmicky band and their lyrics are darkly fun, remind me of The Misfits.

A few songs:

Ritual
Stand by Him
Death Knell

Do check them out!
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby sam vimes » Fri May 06, 2011 8:08 pm

@BBR wow that first song by Ghost was really goood, intro was... really hooking if thats the right word, thanks for sharing.

Insomniac thats a shame but hey we like what we like.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic