Music

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Music

Postby sam vimes » Fri May 06, 2011 9:32 pm

Sorry for the double post:

Manowar have really been growing on me lately below is a link to a song that I really like:

Warhammer - Sons Of Odin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaNveGDY ... ure=fvwrel

Here are a few others you may like:

Dawn of Battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj6gx-4d ... re=related

King of Kings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC_-VE0r ... re=related
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Big Barney Ross » Fri May 06, 2011 9:47 pm

^Glad you liked Ghost. The whole album is really great, I've been listening to it a lot during the last few days.

Also, I've listened to "Burn the Sun" by Ark, recommended by G Thunderhammer. I wasn't exactly mind-blown, but the album is definitely a great piece of prog music. Also, it features quite a different Jorn than what I'm used to, he's more versatile in his singing (especially on the song Absolute Zero).

Also, if you find the time to listen to them, I'd recommend a Russian orchestral progressive metal band called MECHANICAL POET, more specifically the EP "Handmade Essence" and the first full-length album "Woodland Prattlers". They have a really unique sound - it's as if someone decided to make music based on Tim Burton's stories. The vocalist, Max Samosvat is incredibly talented. Plus, they have fantastic cover artworks.

Some songs:

Hermetical Orchard
Old Year's Merry Funeral
Natural Quaternion: Sylphs / Gnomes / Undines / Salamanders - my favorite; and 11-minute epic sung by the aforementioned creatures of the forest. Here you can enjoy Samosvat's vocals in full.

Would love to hear what you guys think of the band.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby sam vimes » Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 pm

Holy hell 11 minutes thats long um wow mind you though, stratovarius did a epic 18min long song called Elysium give it a listen if you can manage the entire length, I can just about when I'm walking into town but if I'm sat on me arse playing fall out new vegas I tend to wack on thier destiny album and listen to these two beauties let me know what you think plase:

The EXTREMELY long Elysuim:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikDS1TBAElo

My two favorites from the Destiny album, rebel and venus in the morning are also good but prefer these two:

Destiny: As song intros go dont think you can do too bad if going for the "Epic" feeling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-ER5---jSk

Playing with fire: A song that is very much I feel about un-requited love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cviYiyOIrOg

Well give us your thoughts and BBR I'll check out those bands in a bit got some orks to purge on soul storm:

"ORKS!! purge the beasts"
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Big Barney Ross » Fri May 06, 2011 11:21 pm

@sam vimes

Well, I don't mind the length at all. I'm listening to, and enjoying, Elysium as I'm writing this. Will check Stratovarius in depth some time in the near future for sure.

For the past several years I've been getting more and more into progressive music. I actually prefer longer songs - the longer the merrier, for me (10+ minutes is what I really like). I love them much more than the radio friendly 3:30 minutes songs.

As a matter of fact, here are some of my epic favorites:

(note, the "*" denotes the really recommended stuff)

While Heaven Wept - The Furthest Shore* (15:51)
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy* (20:43)
Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape (30:14)
Hourglass - Exit Wounds (33:31) - this one's broken into parts on Youtube.
Hourglass - Oblivious to the Obvious (30:33) - this one's broken into parts, too.
Lost Horizon - Highlander (The One)* (12:20)
Virgin Steele - To Crown them With Halos* (11:16)
Galahad - I Could be God (14:07)

Well, I could go on, but I think this is more than enough for now.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby sam vimes » Sat May 07, 2011 12:42 am

Well the orks have been kicked off kaurva 3 at last, and I got, one hell of a kill ratio lost three squads in total and killed so many I got the 5000 kill war gear award as well as the kill ratio award back on topic, I'm amazed you manged the full 18mins barney, as I've been a fan of strato since I was 12-13 gotta say thoug live DVDS of these guys, are rare anyways on the bands you reccomended:

While heavean wept not to bad long intro at the start just how I like them and over all very good as for the others its geting a little late so I'll be giving them a whirl tomorrow assuming I'm baby sitting again, gods I need to get a laptop at home, preferbly one that hasn't been bricked by bloody vista.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Raziel4707 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:18 am

Discovered an older Imelda May album called "Love Tattoo". More of the same rockabilly sound with some brilliant stand-out tunes, plus the original "Johnny got a boom boom." Plus, she has a new website called Imelda.tv, featuring the new video for "Sneaky Freak." Annoyingly, her producers have that annoying habit of releasing a crappy radio edit which quietens down the jazzier aspects of her band, mostly the drums and the double bassist, in favour of focussing on her voice and the guitar solos of her husband. It does, however, feature Imelda in a rubber dress, so I'd advise you to watch the video on mute while listening to the album version of the song. Perfect!
Raziel4707

Postby Insomniac » Sat May 07, 2011 2:59 pm

If you want a lengthy song, check out Sleep's "Dopesmoker" album. The title track is around sixty-four minutes long.
Insomniac

Postby G Thunderhammer » Sat May 07, 2011 5:29 pm

@ BBR

I wasn't keen on Mechanical Poet, but I did see you link up some Seventh Wonder. The Great Escape is good but Mercy Falls absolutely blows it out of the water haha.

You should check out Threshold if you haven't already. Try the albums Critical Mass or Dead Reckoning, fantastic space like prog metal.
G Thunderhammer

Postby Big Barney Ross » Sun May 08, 2011 8:30 pm

@G Thunderhammer
Agreed on Mercy Falls. It's better than The Great Escape. In fact, the only song I really, really like from the album is The Angelmaker which is truly brilliant, while Mercy Falls is awesome as a whole - the concept and the execution.

As for Threshold, I actually have them on my to listen list, along with bands like Shadow Gallery, Royal Hunt, Anubis Gate, Spheric Universe Experience, Kenziner and Redemtion. From the more famous ones, there's definitely Vanden Plas I have to check out. There's so much good music, it's just physically impossible for me to check it all out in the amount of time I'd wish to.
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon May 09, 2011 5:52 am

I don't say this lightly--but I may have just found the ultimate writing music.

Drink The Sea, by The Glitch Mob. Individual songs are epic...but just sitting and letting the whole album blast absolutely unleashes the writing juices.

Tasters:
Fortune Days
We Swarm
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby G Thunderhammer » Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm

@ BBR - I agree, Angelmaker is fantastic. The Great Escape itself is chock full of good riffs but they should have made seperate songs from it. I'd highly recommend Threshold. Also if you havent heard them, Orphaned Land, possibly the best progressive band I've ever heard.

On top of that I would also recommend the Dead Soul Tribe. Never have I heard such depressing music ring with so much... hope. You'll have to listen to see what I mean.

Orphaned Land - Treading Through the Darkness Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BGagAPE ... re=related

Dead Soul Tribe - Goodbye City Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DddF6GgWgV8

... and while I'm at it, Threshold - Fragmentation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU0UUnD17j0
G Thunderhammer

Postby Big Barney Ross » Tue May 10, 2011 9:46 am

@ G Thunderhammer
Listened to all the posted songs. I liked what I heard, very much. Though, I'd need a prolonged listening period to really get into Orphaned Land. I'm not used to the Eastern elements in prog music, and at first it sounded a little weird, but on the other hand I love the complexity of the sound. I'll certainly give them a thorough listen in the future.

Now, Deadsoul Tribe I've never heard of before, but it blew me away. I mean, wow! Haven't listened to the the other albums, but if A Lullaby to the Devil is all like this... damn! Will listen to them ASAP.

Liked Fragmentation. Threshold I've heard before, a few songs only. Like I said, I know they're a quality band so I'll check them out surely, when I find the time.

Also, I'll once again go with a recommendation of my own: the Norwegian band Communic. They're my favorite prog metal band. I heard one song, and immediately bought all of their CD's (the 4th album 'The Bottom Deep' is to be released this July 22) - that's how good they are. I'm sure you'll like them.

Communic - At Dewy Prime

And finally, moving from prog metal, a recommendation for all - the Danish band Volbeat. They play a mix of rockabilly influenced heavy metal, with the vocalist Michael Poulsen sounding like a HM version of Elvis. They're quite popular here in EU, don't know about overseas. A great, quality band.

Volbeat - Caroline Leaving
Volbeat - Alienized
Volbeat - I Only Wanna Be With You (Dusty Springfield cover)
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby Raziel4707 » Tue May 10, 2011 10:04 am

Good choice, BBR. Sadly the Volbeat gig I was due to see was cancelled after Mr Poulsen over did it on the Metallica support tour and was on doctor ordered bed rest. I'd also recommend Seven Shots from their latest album as well as Evelyn for those that like really heavy guitar, Poulsen does the vocals with Barney from Napalm Death, and it rocks. Anyone who's heading to sonisphere should catch them, the Johnny Cash and Elvis influences are subtle but excellent.
Raziel4707

Postby Falkenhayn » Tue May 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Glitch Mob was a good listen. :)
Falkenhayn

Postby Big Barney Ross » Wed May 11, 2011 10:23 am

A sad and at the same time funny thing happened to me the other day. I don't usually buy albums as digital downloads because I prefer to have physical CD's with real booklets, artwork and such. However, a band of interest (a little-known Russian project from ex-Mechanical Poet members) called Luna Damien have released their debut Muddlewood only as a digital download.

So I said, "OK, I'll part with a few dollars for this album." I go to amazon, where I have an account, click buy... only to get a message "We are sorry for the inconvenience, but this service is not available in your country." After a raised eyebrow and a few curses, I make my way to iTunes. Same thing. eMusic, Shockhound - likewise. It seems that for some bull**** copyright reasons, I cannot legally purchase digital downloads. I can, however, buy CDs / DVDs, but not digital downloads that are transfered instantly without postage and shipping cost.

I mean, it's not like I'm shopping from a desert in Sudan or a cave deep in the Himalayas. I live in Europe, ffs! I would suspect **** like this wouldn't be happening in this day and age, but obviously, I was wrong. And they're wondering why piracy is rampant in some parts of the world...

If I found the album on the internet I would download it illegally with a completely clear conscience.
(but, I can't find even that *sigh*)
Go home. Just go.
Big Barney Ross

Postby Raziel4707 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:56 am

Barney, have edited the swearing from your post. I doubt you did that intentionally, but the new forum does not automatically obliterate bad language like the old one did. Have made that mistake myself.

Just FYI everyone, if you want to use naughty words, you're going to have to obliterate parts of them yourselves for the time being. Or not swear, whichever you prefer!

Raz.
Raziel4707

Postby G Thunderhammer » Thu May 12, 2011 2:47 am

On the subject of long songs here is one that while it isn't the best ever is reaaaaaaaaally innovative I find.

Beyond Twilight, the album For the Love of Art and the Making... here's the thing. Its one song, broke into around 43 segments varying in length. But the album is a jigsaw, there is no actual definitive order. All the pieces flow together for people to either play on shuffle and get a different song each time or to find your preferred way of listening.

I say not the best ever because I never found a perfect combination to my liking but it is still really good.
G Thunderhammer

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Listening to some choice tracks from Bon Jovi after months! Rocking stuff.

- Runaway
- Shot Through The Heart
- Everyday
- Livin' On A Prayer
- Keep The Faith
- It's My Life
- You Give Love A Bad Name
- One Wild Night
- Livin' On A Prayer (slow version)
- Everyday (slow version)

Livin' On A Prayer, You Give Love a Bad Name and It's My Life are my three absolute favourites.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Postby Green River » Tue May 17, 2011 12:32 am

Just watching the Andrew Marr Show on BBC iPlayer and learned that Lang Lang is playing Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6 at the Last Night of the Proms, which should be awsome. I love Hungarian Rhapsody, and Lang Lang is absolutely storming right now so it should be a stonker.

In other news, I've become slightly obsessed with Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 5 in E minor (op. 64 - IV) - it has that irresistable quality of lasting about as long as it takes to get a shower and has one of those 'racing' crescendo parts like the bit in Return of the King when 'Godor calls for aid' and the score really matches the racing shots of mountaintops and beacons. Awesome. No decent version on youtube though.

Best scene in Return of the King. Man those strings soar. Awesome score, Symphony No. 5 is like that.
Green River

Postby Falkenhayn » Tue May 17, 2011 9:25 am

Hello.

I need some help. I'm going to an Iron Maiden concert in a few weeks and I do not know any of their music.
Concerts are usually much more fun if you at least know the chorus or similar to a few of the numbers.

I just need a small list of popular numbers that they are likely to play. Anyone know what they are likely to play?
Falkenhayn

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic