Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:57 am

The first full trailer is now up everywhere and it is glorious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTZ2Tp9yXyM

Looks like we are finally getting a not-so-serious Marvel movie. Can't think of a better movie than this one. Very excited for this one!
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Location: Battle-barge Spear of Lycaeus of the Angels of Retribution

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Trailer

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:14 pm

You beat me to it. It does look like a lot of fun.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Bellarius » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:30 am

Not sure personally. Too much snark is raising concerns this may be following Bendis' interpretation of the team, quite a few characters he's extremely tone deaf to. Early days though, so no reason to deliver any judgments yet. Plus, after what Captain America is advertising, it'd be good to see the Marvel films trying to maintain the outlandishly colourful elements of their universe than tone them down.
The Good the Bad and the Insulting
Daily thoughts, reviews and news of films, novels video games and tabletop games.
Bellarius

Postby David Earle » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:03 am

Bendis has me worried as well, but I think his version of the characters might work well on screen without any prior baggage. (I loathe them in the comics because they're so disjointed from the Abnett/Lanning stories. Also what the FLARK HAPPENED TO RICHARD RIDER???) And the movie looks fun so far; as long as Drax and Gamora are handled respectfully, I'm looking forward to this.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:25 am

David Earle wrote:Bendis has me worried as well, but I think his version of the characters might work well on screen without any prior baggage. (I loathe them in the comics because they're so disjointed from the Abnett/Lanning stories. Also what the FLARK HAPPENED TO RICHARD RIDER???) And the movie looks fun so far; as long as Drax and Gamora are handled respectfully, I'm looking forward to this.

If Guardians does well, and by that I mean pull in something like 400-700 million at the box office, then I think we could well get a Nova Corps movie with Richard Rider as the primary character.
Shadowhawk's Shade My 40k/writing/review blog. You can check out all my reviews here.

My current fiction projects - Veergati: The Scarlet Records, an Indian space opera inspired by Star Trek.
shadowhawk2008

Postby David Earle » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:51 pm

We might get a Nova movie, but it would end up starring the Sam Alexander version, unless Jeph Loeb and Marvel part ways.

JEPH LOEB!! Slooowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down!

*phew* What were we talking about?
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby LordLucan » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:39 pm

I don't get what folks mean when they say 'a not-so serious marvel movie'. Which movies fromt he Avengers movieverse has been really serious?

The Iron Man films - Lots of comedic elements, and a general tongue in cheek sort of humour about them generally.

Thor films - Quite funny in places, especially Thor trapped on Earth, and Loki in the second movie.

Avengers Assemble - Lots of humour there, and the jokes came thick and fast.

I'd say only really the Incredible Hulk was an overly-serious Marvel movie. Even Captian America the First Avenger had some goofy humour in it.

If anything, Guardians of the galaxy is consistent with the MCU tone.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Bellarius » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:09 pm

David Earle wrote:Bendis has me worried as well, but I think his version of the characters might work well on screen without any prior baggage.

That's actually what worries me the most. The Marvel comics are becoming increasingly devoted to trying to emulate the films however they can. Iron Man's basic armour designs have been tweaked to specifically be in line with the film over the last few years, not to mention his character has been altered in terms of some dialogue and mannerisms to be more like Robert Downy Jr.'s version. Captain America keeps showing up in outfits which seem to be specifically emulating his war attire from the original film and similar things keep appearing. I get the idea of trying to build upon their film to get readers but when it's built upon something negative? The success could only inspire Marvel to think that Bendis' version is the right one if it's following his ideas.

And before anyone argues that this isn't bad: He's slapped Iron Man onto the team because he could, and is intentionally going out of his way to make the cosmic heroes have much more Earth based stories.
Daily thoughts, reviews and news of films, novels video games and tabletop games.
Bellarius

Postby The Hillock » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:58 pm

LordLucan wrote:I don't get what folks mean when they say 'a not-so serious marvel movie'. Which movies fromt he Avengers movieverse has been really serious?

The Iron Man films - Lots of comedic elements, and a general tongue in cheek sort of humour about them generally.

Thor films - Quite funny in places, especially Thor trapped on Earth, and Loki in the second movie.

Avengers Assemble - Lots of humour there, and the jokes came thick and fast.

I'd say only really the Incredible Hulk was an overly-serious Marvel movie. Even Captian America the First Avenger had some goofy humour in it.

If anything, Guardians of the galaxy is consistent with the MCU tone.

This. This all over your faces.

Bellarius wrote:And before anyone argues that this isn't bad: He's slapped Iron Man onto the team because he could, and is intentionally going out of his way to make the cosmic heroes have much more Earth based stories.

Sorry dude, I'm going to argue that it's bad even though you said not to. My bad.

Granted, what you say is true. However there is an obvious reason - mass market penetration. The Marvel films have brought comic book super heroes into the public realm like never before, and a huge part of that is the sheer accessibility of the films. Since Iron Man, Marvel have done a fantastic job of making these characters 'cool', something which they simply never were. Jesus, I saw one of my sisters friends with a comic the other week - these are people who have never read one in their entire lives using the films as a jumping off point into the wider world of Marvel. If the films had stayed true to the letter as well as the spirit of the comics they wouldn't have been as succesful and there simply would not be a Guardians film at all.

I, like many comic fans, would like to see the more cosmic side of Marvel stay that way but the simple fact is that most people wouldn't go and see the films. I think the way Marvel have done it, conciously (according to interviews with people like Whedon and Kevin Feige) and very gradually leading the viewers away from Earth-bound stories, is very clever - my only concern is that they might be doing it too fast (yes, seriously) and Guardians might be just a little bit too soon in that process to be as successful as the rest of the franchise, and might set the whole process back again to being very Earth-centric.

Just my two-penneth
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby David Earle » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:23 pm

Wrath, I think you're arguing that the movies shouldn't feel bound to stay true to the comics, while Bellarius is arguing that the comics are being modified to be more like the movies, badly. Which are different arguments: I think the movies should be tweaked to reach the widest audience possible. But going the other way...

I get why you'd want the comics you're putting out when a big comic book movie comes out to resemble the film. That way curious people pick up the comic book related to the movie and say "Hey, cool," and maybe branch out into the other books. Not a problem here, and Marvel did that very well with the Avengers movie - they put out a book called Avengers Assemble that featured the movie team in a continuity-light story against Thanos, and it was pretty good. And moving Loki from crazy-ass supervillain to a Hiddleston-like character has worked very well, because the writers involved took their time and the stories were great (and I'm not at all sure the Hiddleston-ness was planned).

But some of the other bits have been ham-fisted, most spectacularly when they replaced the original Nick Fury with his son, who just happened to look like Samuel L. Jackson and ended up with an eye patch and the code name "Nick Fury", working with the heretofore unseen Agent Coulson. The stuff with Cap and Iron Man I don't mind so much because it's been subtler, and frankly Iron Man needed some work after Civil War.

With the Guardians and Nova, I wouldn't mind the new team and the new character much, even though they're pretty blatant moves toward the movie and TV show respectively, if Bendis and Loeb had been a bit more respectful of the great work DnA were doing in Marvel's cosmic sector recently. But both of them pretty much s@@@-canned all of it without much reason. It put me off the books, even though I'm still looking forward to the movie.
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Bellarius » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:01 pm

The Wrath wrote:Since Iron Man, Marvel have done a fantastic job of making these characters 'cool', something which they simply never were.

If you honestly believe that for even a moment you have no right to call yourself a fan of any comics universe. I am not even going to try to dignify the rest of your post with an answer after something as insultingly ill thought out as that statement.

What next. Are you going to try and claim comics were never an art form and simply second rate books?
Bellarius

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:42 am

I think he means more generally popular.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby LordLucan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:20 pm

I agree with Chun. Wrath meant cool in the sense of being popular within the mainstream, across a broader cross section of society.

Of course Iron man and his ilk would have always been cool to their fans, but that is not the same 'cool' as a post-RDJ Iron Man is.
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby The Hillock » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:33 pm

Tee hee, didn't expect to get that reaction. Chun and LL are correct - I was referring to popularity with those outside of the traditional comic book reader demographic. It's undeniable that the Marvel cinematic universe has brought these characters (however representative, or not, they are of the comic books notwithstanding) to a vastly wider audience than ever before. Tell a prospective partner that you're into comics and there's considerably less chance since the films became popular that she/he'll laugh in your face.

David - yeah, I probably did get slightly the wrong end of the stick - I thought Bellarius was saying the films were more earth-centric than the comics, but now looking at his post I clearly misinterpreted - he's saying that the comics themselves are being made more earth-centric to bring them in line with the films. That is much less cool.

Bellarius - Way to fly off the handle dude. Hilarious.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby Xisor » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:02 pm

And anyway, comics certainly aren't a second-rate art form.

They're barely eighth-rate.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby David Earle » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:15 pm

*drops a copy of Absolute Sandman on Xisor's head*
Check out my blog!

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:45 am

Xisor wrote:And anyway, comics certainly aren't a second-rate art form.

Not going to touch this one with a ten foot pole.

*roots around in back for 11 foot pole*
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Vivia » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:08 pm

Xisor wrote:And anyway, comics certainly aren't a second-rate art form.

There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Tue May 20, 2014 9:22 am

Here's another trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bz0QOOT9Hk

Hopes remain high.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby shadowhawk2008 » Tue May 20, 2014 9:47 am

I like the new trailer. More context than the teaser and I love the music too!

shadowhawk2008

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic