What's Your App?

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

What's Your App?

Postby Vivia » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:56 pm

Since I can't do much being sick and cough a lot it's time for another topic.

As we all know apps are here to stay and most of us all have smart phones, except some people (hint hint). I have downloaded tons of apps so I thought it would be interesting to see what people enjoy and what to recommend. As far as I know there are millions of apps for nearly everything. I use my phone as helping aid and a lot of the apps reflect this. Be aware that the apps depend on OS and country, I use an iPhone.

Tools:

My Wallet - I used this app on a daily basis, my problem is to visualise my expenses and this do the trick. Highly recommended. 27 SEK.

Due - Notifications and alarms. A little confusing to use but it works better than iOS notification. 38 SEK.

Grocery List - Exactly what it says, minimalistic app. It's free and you can buy additional themes for 7 SEK.

iHotel - An app to search for local hotels. Quite handy

Social:

What'sApp - A chat app, it uses mobile numbers from the contact list. Free.

Health:

Relax Melodies - Relaxing sounds and music, very good. Free and then you buy Pro for 22 SEK, well-worth the price. Highly recommended.

Relax Melodies Seasons - Same as above but with seasonal theme sound and melodies, I love it and it's very pretty. 22 SEK. Highly recommended.

DeepCalm - It drew me in because it has a sleeping cat. Five melodies with sounds. Free.

Lifestyle:

Grön Guide (Green Guide): Now this is a Swedish app by the Nature Conservation. I can't recommend this type of apps highly enough if you have any kind of interest in the environment. Free.

Håll Sverige Rent(Keep Sweden Clean) - Another region based app, but I know that other countries/cities have the same (Australia has Litter Report). You see litter in strange place you take a photo and send it to the authorities. Free.
(I found Marine Litter Report http://www.eea.europa.eu/themes/coast_sea/marine-litterwatch)

Upptäck Stockholm (Discover Stockholm) - These kind of app exist for a lot of cities, so get one. It's a good way to refreshed your memory if you want to go places, I have found tons of new places. Which leads me to the ones below.

Manchester Maps and Walks Lite - A walking tours app, with maps and attractions.

Aaron's Time Machine: London Lyte - Discover mysterious sites of London, murder and prison sites and a brief history of the places.
( We get Spökvandring (Ghost Hunting) - The Swedish app for mysteries of the Old Town, the medieval part of Stockholm. In my wish list. 22 SEK :mrgreen: )

Entertainment:

Cutie Rabbit Photos - An app with tons of cute photos, harmless fun. The same developer has Cutie Dogs and Cats. Free.

The Daily Bunny - Another with cute rabbit photos in blog form, very well made for a free app.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Re: What's Your App?

Postby Athelassan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:57 pm

Are you planning a trip to Ye Olde England sometime soon?

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Vivia » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Maybe, it isn't that expensive actually. Those city apps are pretty neat even if one never goes to visit.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:23 pm

I don't believe in apps. Apps, in my opinion, are not good. I quote John Lennon: 'I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me.' A good point there. After all, he was the Walrus.
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Athelassan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:09 pm

Vivia wrote:As we all know apps are here to stay

Like minidiscs and zip drives!

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:18 pm

Athelassan wrote:
Vivia wrote:As we all know apps are here to stay

Like minidiscs and zip drives!

Ath

Don't forget about a good old 3 1/2 inch floppy.
Major Rawne

Postby Vivia » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:58 pm

Woah, easy there, we aren't into those stuff.

We have a come a long way.
Vivia

Postby Shaggy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:46 am

Ruddy 'eck... even a cat has better tech than I do! (I've never had a smartphone...)
:oops:
In defeat, malice.
In victory, revenge.

My lifeform type is tee tee hatch nex ool
Shall we do rishathra?
Shaggy

Postby Vivia » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:57 pm

Vivia

Postby Major Rawne » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Hmmm I feel like I should contribute to this thread. I think I will. Just a little.

Comixology - I have virtually moved completely digital for all comic needs. I just love moving from panel to panel. And HD comics on my new tablet just look gorgeous. And the pick up where I left off on any device option ist just so handy.

Google Play Books - Where I dump all my BL ebooks. Or rather all my eshorts. It's easy and simple and I like the page turn animation.

Dropbox - Well this is pretty obvious. Just a place to store a few bits in the cloud. To be honest I don't really utilise it as well as I really could.

ES File Explorer - Just a neat file explorer i've been using for a long, long time now.

Heroes of Dragon Age - It's a game. A Game in the Dragon Age World. I play it a lot. As twitter knows.

Google Play Store - The app store. Where all wonderful apps come from. Well most do.

Nova Launcher - A home screen replacement that allows you to customise your home screen and app draw more than the usual default ones on any Android device.

Widget Locker - A lockscreen replacement app. Allows me to replace the lockscreen with one I can add custom widgets too as well as a wallpaper and custom unlock action.

Tondo Icons - My current custom Icon set. I'm not too much of a fan of the default icons for apps, so a nice icon pack always makes things prettier.

Wallbase - Wallpaper app for getting all sorts of wall papers.

Talon for Twitter - My current go to Twitter app.

Rockplayer - One of the media players I use. Has yet to fail to play anything I have thrown at it, unlike the default media player on almost anything.

Google Play Music - As it says in the title it's for all my music. Currently I have all my music stored there in the cloud to stream from anywhere I can log into my Google account. Like say work. I am also signed up for the All Access music service which gives me unlimited access to all sorts of new stuff. Really helps with the drive too an from work.

That is just a little snapshot of what I use on Android. There is lot more.
Major Rawne

Postby David Earle » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:47 am

Ignoring various social media apps and email:

Dropbox - Essential for keeping files available at all times.

Jota+ - The best writing app for Android I've seen.

Asana and myAsana - A pretty sharp to-do app. myAsana is a separate client that's essential if you want a good Android widget.

Kindle - The app glitched out for a few weeks after a bad update, but it's back on form now and the best eReader on Android. And Send to Kindle lets me read Black Library books.

feedly - I binge on RSS feeds, and with Google Reader dead this is my current favorite.

YouTube - I watch more YouTube videos than television these days. Let's Play!

LastPass - For managing my passwords without me going insane trying to remember them all.

Mike Omeara - My favorite podcast's streaming app. Because I get the joke.

SwiftKey - I used Swype for years, but I'm tired of it missing a word and having to correct myself repeatedly. SwiftKey's predictive text is fast and friendly.

TeslaLED - Flashlight.

Tape-a-Talk - Voice recorder.
Check out my blog!

"David is very very old, but also slow, he creeps up behind you without you noticing and then just as his non-breath fails to be felt against your neck he pounces and gives you an informative post." - schaferwhat‽

Ogunzhar lives!
David Earle

Postby Major Rawne » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:27 pm

David Earle wrote:SwiftKey - I used Swype for years, but I'm tired of it missing a word and having to correct myself repeatedly. SwiftKey's predictive text is fast and friendly.

Oooo fellow Swiftkey user. Love how good it's predictivness is. Really does learn how you type. Also pretty swish, swish, swish. No more tapping in words for me.
Major Rawne

Postby Vivia » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:24 pm

Yay, bring on the apps!

Apps in my wish list:

Svampguide (Mushroom guide): This is a life saver when you go on mushroom hunting, picking the wrong mushroom can be fatal. I always bring a book but that's very cumbersome. 22 SEK

H.P Lovecraft Collection: Lovecraft's novels in one app for the low price of 22 SEK! It looks amazing.
(And there are more http://appcrawlr.com/ios-apps/best-apps-hp-lovecraft)

Brian Cox's Wonders of Life: Visually gorgeous app about the small wonders in nature. 45 SEK

Broken Sword: All the games are available. From 28 SEK.

7 SEK are 0.99 USD
22 SEK are 2.99 USD
Vivia

Postby Rob P » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:16 am

Talisman Prologue is free an Amazon app store today.
Last edited by Rob P on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob P

Postby Bane Of Kings » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:37 pm

The only apps that I really use on my Kindle Fire are Football Manager, FIFA 14 and Comixology on a regular basis - with most of my time spent either browsing the internet or reading. I recently downloaded Train Conductor 2 yesterday when it was free, so I've been playing that a lot. Also, any recommendations on good free games/apps for the Kindle Fire (UK) would be great.
BOOK/FILM/GAME/TV REVIEWS
http://thefictionalhangout.blogspot.co.uk/
"The Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s box was that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you of how the story ends. When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s box: hope"
Bane Of Kings

Postby Vivia » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:50 pm

Fairtrade (Sverige): Now this is one of the best apps I have found. It has a scanning option, a guide, a Q&A and a map to find cafés with Fairtrade available! I have no idea there were so many! We meet the farmers all over the world and read their stories. I'm going to the Stockholm City site to ask if the city is Fairtrade (it isn't a Håll Sverige Rent city (Keep Sweden Clean), booh). Free.

Luna Solaria: A lunar and solar app. It tells you the phase and position of the moon and sun, the Zodiac sign and distances. Free.

iRunner: An exercise app. Categories in spinning, biking, running, walking and hiking. The map is great, it shows the route you took and the distance and time. Awesome. Free and In-app-purchases.

AdBlocker: The same adblock as we get for web browsers for iOS. Free and then updgrade to full-version for 29 SEK.

Jorte Calender: A Japanese children calender that was recommended to me. It has IT and office icons and features, which I bought for 22 SEK, though nearly all icons and themes are cutesy with cats, dogs and Sanrio characters. For me it has an annoying amount of Swenglish. Free and with add-ons from 7 SEK.
Vivia

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:35 pm

OK just to list the ones on my screens homescreens as they're the ones I use most often.

A calendar, a calculator, a dictionary, googlemaps, gmail. google drive, youtube, facebook, chrome, twitter, Vue, Odeon, iPlayer, 4oD, soundcloud, music player, amazon Mp3, amazon, alarm clock, kindle, dominos pizza, just eat comixology, my bank.

I am annoyed that what used to be called programs are now called apps.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Athelassan » Thu May 01, 2014 3:36 am

schaferwhat‽ wrote:I am annoyed that what used to be called programs are now called apps.

To be fair, I think in computing terms programs have always been referred to as applications - at least for some time and as an alternative name. The WinXP Task Manager lists running programs as "applications". "App" is just a lazy/hip shortening of that.

I feel like when "apps" first appeared (remember what it was like? You'd run down to the shop and buy an app with your pocket money? I must have been... twenty-six, twenty-seven?) they were identifiably different to traditional programs: stripped-down, offering less flexibility and power, but greater speed and less processing juice. Which made sense, considering they were designed for portability and expediency, and you weren't expected to sit around looking at them if you had any other way to do it or literally anything better to do.

What annoys me is that it feels like mobile computing is being backwards-ported onto home computing, and that it's inferior. Apps substituted for programs are one thing (Windows 8 sounded like an attempt to do that); another is websites being designed for mobile first and desktop second, meaning for home users they're uglier and clunkier (Facebook and GW have both gone this route in the last month or so).

I also feel like apps are somehow more privacy-intrusive than traditional programs. Things like Steam aside, generally once you downloaded a program you could run it with impunity, internet or no. Apps seem - and maybe this is just my paranoia - to be constantly relaying data back to source.

(And at the same time, some companies seem to be replacing their mobile sites with apps. Which my phone - despite being perfectly internet-capable - doesn't have the space to store. So now I can't access certain sites, for no good reason at all).

Ath
Athelassan

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Thu May 01, 2014 10:59 am

Oh I get that Programs and applications are somewhat synonymous, and that Apps started as a very pared down thing with limited functionality. I'm just annoyed with how they're treated and thought of judging by how people talk around me about such things. The Microsoft 8 urge to re-purpose that terminology when the existing computer lingo already covered what computers do is pretty much why it is grating on me so much. I'm getting old.

That said I am not so old that the urge to unify one single computing experience seems like a good idea. Phones, tablets, laptops and desktops, sharing functionality is great it is progress but operating in the same way seems like a waste when each format of computing has clear strengths that could be pushed towards.

Yes data and the link to the mothership is sort of bad, we all know Amazon can edit things on your kindle. I'm not sure if we as people need to move on from traditional thinking of ownership, privacy and ourselves in light of our digital existence and how we function on the computing tools we use or if the companies should back the eff away from their agenda of exploiting the digital frontier so relentlessly for money that the people who are their customers are essentially violated. Eventually one thing or the other should happen.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Vivia » Thu May 01, 2014 11:47 am

Athelassan wrote:
I also feel like apps are somehow more privacy-intrusive than traditional programs. Things like Steam aside, generally once you downloaded a program you could run it with impunity, internet or no. Apps seem - and maybe this is just my paranoia - to be constantly relaying data back to source.

(And at the same time, some companies seem to be replacing their mobile sites with apps. Which my phone - despite being perfectly internet-capable - doesn't have the space to store. So now I can't access certain sites, for no good reason at all).

Ath[/color]

They're intrusive and that's why iOS always asks first if push-notifications are desired. Other than that it's a field waiting for exploitation, though I trust iOS far more than Android, Google doesn't feel overly secure (them the tax skippers and Google Play is cesspool-y. No, I don't want 200 bunny games regardless if I search for Daily Bunny or crochet books, if you offer stuff that is FB quality then I'm sorry. Free crap is still free crap).

That isn't a "for no good reason". If phone users decide to stay in 2008 isn't a companies problem, they need to keep technology fresh not cater to people who stay back in the development. They go where the money is and that's for good and bad.
Vivia

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic