Salute! 2014 - Photos

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Salute! 2014 - Photos

Postby Athelassan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:57 pm

So a couple of weekends ago I attended Salute!, the biggest annual games fair in the UK. Usually I get there relatively late in the afternoon, but so that I could scout out any particular bargains (not that that stopped me from missing one I spotted early on :roll: ) and because I was out in the evening I got there a bit earlier...

...and found they had a whole exhibition hall just for the queue.

Still, I was soon inside and buying things.

It tried to hide, but I found one!

My haul for the day, including the event freebies:

Having bought what I wanted, I went to try some of the games.

First up was "Dead's Army". The SS have discovered an ancient scroll to command the undead, and are using it to raise the residents of the Walmington-on-Sea churchyard. It's up to the Home Guard to stop them!
Capt. Mainwaring and Cpl. Jones hold the line against the zombies, using Jones's butcher's van as cover.
Meanwhile Hodges (having made himself unpopular by driving his van over the cricket pitch) leads a mission to flank the zombies and occupy the church hall. Hodges' unit fought heroically, later fending off a horde of zombies in hand-to-hand combat for the loss of only one Home Guardsman.

Next up was the RAF Wargaming Association's "Get to the Chopper!", based on the events of Predator. Here we see Dutch's men moving out of the village.

Unfortunately within five minutes of leaving the village, Hawkins accidentally shot the CIA asset in the head while aiming at what he thought was a Predator, which was theoretically an automatic fail on the mission. Poncho then shot Hawkins with the grenade launcher, and it was a miracle nobody else was hurt. Still, the team pressed on, hoping to save themselves at least.
Billy sights a Predator and opts to take it on with his knife!

Eventually, using the unconventional (but effective) strategy of "running for the chopper", Billy reached the landing-ground and called the helicopter while his team-mates slowed the Predator down with their limbs and organs. Thus I became only the second person of the day to fulful the main objective, and win myself a badge:

Finally, in keeping with the D-Day theme, I had a go on the "C-Day" board, where the ancient Britons try to fend off Caesar's invading legions. I took control of the cavalry on the right wing.

The Britons charge in to face the Romans on the right of centre.

The British centre holds while they wait for cavalry reinforcement, but more Romans are arriving on the shoreline.

The cavalry are too slow in arriving, and the British centre is beaten back with heavy losses.

The Romans reach the village and begin to sack it!

The Romans begin to reform in preparation for a cavalry and chariot charge.

The Romans close in on the battered British centre.

Fortunately at this point the heroic British left wing, having routed the Roman right (the fleeing Roman legate is just visible above in the background), swung round to assist, and Caesar opted for a strategic retreat.

What happened here was that I failed about three command rolls in a row, leaving the cavalry frustratedly stranded just outside the main melee and unable to reinforce the general in the centre (the general was muttering darkly around this time that my reinforcements were weighted down with traitors' gold). Fortunately the centre held just long enough for the much more successful left wing to come to their assistance, and with so many fresh Britons still available, the Roman general was advised to call off the assault.

Overall an entertaining afternoon.

Ath
Athelassan

Re: Salute! 2014 - Photos

Postby Lord of the Night » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:05 pm

I wasn't at Salute but my grandfather was. He was running the Old Glory booth for historicals. He said the show was immense. Looks like it from your images.

LotN
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/lab ... %20Reviews - Black Library Reviews by Lord of the Night@Talk Wargaming
Lord of the Night

Postby Vivia » Fri May 02, 2014 12:17 pm

Nice photos! I see Dread Fleet. :)
It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby Athelassan » Fri May 02, 2014 1:55 pm

Vivia wrote:Nice photos! I see Dread Fleet. :)
It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times.

You stupid monkey!

Ath
Athelassan

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic