The 210th Cadian

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: The 210th Cadian

Postby The Hillock » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:40 pm

This all sounds amazing, and amazingly ruthless. You should be a traitor more often.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby Maugan Ra » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:30 pm

Right. My army is expanding once again, since I've started selling off my old Skaven models. With that, I can afford to upgrade my army like so (and I even get to use the case that currently holds the ratmen to hold my Guard without going above my two-case comfortable carrying limit). So, here's what my army will hopefully stand at as of tomorrow.

The 210th Cadian Imperial Guard
Nothing crushes the spirit of man. The Imperium overcomes, and we are the Imperium

HQ

Company Command Squad - 355pts
Lord Castellen Creed and Jarren Kell
Veteran with Vox-caster
Veteran with Medi-pack
Veteran with Grenade Launcher
Master of Ordnance, Officer of the Fleet, Astropath

Company Command Squad - 210pts
Colonel 'Iron Hand' Straken
4 Veterans with laspistols and close combat weapons
Vox-caster
Medi-pack
2 Bodyguards

Company Command Squad - 100pts
Company Commander with Power Fist
Vox-caster
Veteran with Heavy Flamer
2 Veterans with flamers

Chimera APC - 70pts
Multilaser, Heavy Bolter, Extra Armour

Commissar Yarrick - 185pts

Techpriest Enginseer - 145pts
Two servitors with Servo-arms
Two servitors with Heavy Bolters

Elites

Quad Gun battery - 150pts
3 Quad guns, manned by six Guardsmen

Quad Gun battery - 150pts
3 Quad guns, manned by six Guardsmen

10 Stormtroopers - 185pts
Two Meltaguns

Troops

Platoon Command Squad - 140pts
Lieutenant with power fist
Vox-caster
3 Plasma guns
Commissar with Power Sword

3 x Infantry Squads - 180pts
Each with Flamer, Vox-caster

3 x Chimera APCs - 210pts
Multi-lasers, Heavy Bolters, Extra Armour

3 x Heavy Weapon Squads - 315pts
Lascannons

2 x Heavy Weapon Squads - 180pts
Missile Launchers

Platoon Command Squad - 120pts
Lieutenant with Power Sword
3 Grenade Launchers
Vox-caster
Commissar with Power Fist

2 x Infantry Squads - 120pts
Grenade Launchers, Vox casters

2 x Heavy Weapon Squads - 150pts
Autocannons

Heavy Weapons Squad - 75pts
Heavy Bolters

Platoon Command Squad - 65pts
Lieutenant with Power Fist
3 Grenade launchers, Vox-caster

Flamer, Vox-casters

Fast Attack

Scout Sentinel Squadron - 90pts
2 with Missile Launchers

Scout Sentinel Squadron - 70pts
2 with Multi-lasers

Scout Sentinel Squadron - 80pts
2 with Heavy Flamers

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Squadron - 430pts
Demolisher with H.Bolter Sponsons, Lascannon
Executioner with plasma cannon sponsons

Leman Russ Squadron - 340pts
2 Leman Russ tanks with H.Bolter sponsons

Ordnance Battery - 270pts
2 Medusas

TOTAL = 4,565pts
(Plus a Stormlord for another 500pts)
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby Maugan Ra » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:48 am

And now, because I'm a nice person who is slightly bored, here is a breakdown of my force and it's tactics that I use in Apocolypse games. Note that a lot of these tactics work equally well in smaller games as well.

My Apocolyptic Formations
Well, I have Ursarker E. Creed's High Command, which requires three Company Command Squads. It also requires a Techpriest Enginseer and a slew of advisors, not all of which made it into the new codex. Generally, I get my opponent's consent to use the formation as my army includes all of the new advisors, instead of the old ones, which fits the theme well enough.

The three Infantry Platoons grant me the Imperial Shield infantry Company formation, which gives me another handful of assets.

With these, I get both the Bunkers and the Defence Lines assets. The first allows me to deploy up to six bunkers on the field, and the second gives me 36" of aegis defence lines or their equivilent. Put together, I can generally make a solid line of fortifications across the entire board. The lynchpin of the line is usually a single bunker that I use as the centrepoint for the Supreme Headquarters Asset, which where possibly holds Creed and his squad. I also get artillery support, which is always nice.

The Poor Bloody Infantry

Well, I have five infantry squads in this army that aren't mounted in Chimeras. Their role generally falls into one of two catagories - defence line or massed charge. In the former case, they make a fine showing of keeping anything with a wounds value away from my lines. The platoon commanders generally lurk behind them, issuing the "First Rank Fire" order where neccessary. Imperial Guard orders require you to take a leadership test with the recieving unit in order to get bonuses of various sorts. If both sender and reciever have Vox-casters, I can reroll a failed test.

First Rank Fire basically grants every man with a lasgun another shot. So each one shoots twice at a 24" range, and three times at 12" range. So if you want to get within strike range of my forces, you'll have to wade through a minimum of 100 shots a turn. They're only strength 3, but it all adds up in large amounts. If I'm playing Apocolypse, it gets better, as all the Guardsmen are hunkered down behind defence lines that grant them a 3+ cover save, and the General Staff asset (from Creed's formation) lets them roll 3d6 for any Leadership test and pick which two they want to use, including orders. And if they're within 24" of that centre point, they also get Fearless.

The Massed Charge, on the other hand, is much more offensive. It relies on the presence of Lord Commissar Yarrick, generally leading a combined squad of 30 or even 50 men (the latter only possible in Apocolypse, with it's looser rules on army lists), and to have Colonel Iron Hand Straken lurking within 12", or otherwise leading the charge. Yarrick makes his unit Fearless, and when they charge they get to reroll "to hit" dice. Straken, meanwhile, grants the Furious Charge and Counter-Attack abilities to everyone within 12".

50 Guardsmen getting 2 attacks each at Strength and Initiative 4, rerolling misses, will make a mess of anything. It's even better because so few opponents are really prepared for the Imperial Guard to actually be competent in close combat. I get the bonuses even if charged, thanks to that Counter-attack rule, so there's nothing stopping me from also pulling off the ludicrous firepower trick of the Defence Line as well.

Heavy Weapons
I have quite a few weapon teams in my army. In my opinion, every Guard player should have some, as they are an excellent source of firepower. Anyway, what makes them extra-useful is the fact that they are infantry, and so can recieve orders. Even better, they are Troops, and so can hold objectives.

Lascannons - I use these gents to provide me with the bulk of my anti-tank firepower, as each Heavy Weapon Squad contains three of the indicated Heavy Weapons. With Creed nearby, they can be made twin-linked as well. Nine twin-linked lascannons is pretty much death for anything short of a super-heavy, and even those want to be wary. In Apocolpyse, if they're within 12" of the centre point they also get Tankhunters, just in case it wasn't ludicrous enough already.

Missile Launchers - These, I use because they have tactical flexibility. Krak rounds are good at threatening anything that isn't a Land Raider, and when faced with hordes of infantry they can switch over to Frag to assist with the laying down of template-related death. Once again, using either Creed or another Company Commander in support of them allows for twin-linked, just to save you from those oddly-frequent rolls of triple-1.

Autocannons/Heavy Bolters - My anti-infantry and light vehicle force. They also assist when I'm faced with something like an Avatar or a Tyranid beastie, as generally the solution to such problems is just to keep making it take saves until it falls over.

Quad Guns - The light artillery support. Between the two teams, they put out 24 S5 templates a turn, and because of the Barrage rule they can actually be surprisingly accurate. Shell Shock means that any pinning tests incured by their firing must be taken at -1. As a general rule, I aim these at a nice cluster of infantry and just let loose. They have to stop firing every third turn to reload, but if you're still alive on the third turn, I'm officially impressed.

Armoured Fist

Sometimes, you just want to take the fight to the enemy. That's where my Chimeras come in. I pack three infantry squads into them, with the fourth generally either carrying Straken or a simple Platoon commander, and rush them straight for a likely-looking part of the enemy lines. An important thing to remember is that Chimeras are versatile tanks in their own right, with multilasers and heavy bolters. With the flamethrowers to help me clear out the enemy from an objective, and my tanks to help me hold it, I can generally rely on winning the fight that I chose to pick. Or if I don't, then at the very least distracting enough of the enemy to leave them too weak to mount a proper attack on the rest of my line.

Recon

The Sentinels tend to form a fairly flexible reserve force for my army, lending their firepower where it might be needed. They also have the benefit of being walkers, and thus able to hold their own in combat. When you need to tie up an oncoming hormogaunt swarm, or lock down a mob of Boyz before they can start with the choppas, then the Sentinels are ready and willing. And if I'm mounting an all-out assault, they can keep pace with the advance while still providing support fire.

Armoured Support

Ah, Squadrons of tanks. The single most awesome and most cheesy thing about an Imperial Guard army. I could have far more vehicles than this list shows, but I have a soft spot for infantry as well, so I only have six. :lol:

In the main, these lumbering behemoths just operate on the entirely standard "Blow things up" mode. Orks, Tyranids, Space Marines... they're all fair game. One of the squadrons (the one with the Demolisher and Executioner) packs a silly amount of high strength low-AP template weapons, which generally find a use exterminating Terminators. The Medusas are basically Demolishers with longer range, and as such gleefully make things explode from the other side of the table.

The tanks are also fairly resilient. The techpriest hangs around nearby, fixing Weapon Destroyed results on a 3+ (he could fix Immobilised as well, but in Squadrons that counts as wrecked). Even more importantly, a Squadron of vehicles ignores any Crew Stunned or Shaken results that the enemy inflicts on them. I cannot overstate how awesome this is, and how horrifying my opponents find it.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Gaius Marius » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 pm

You know what this thread needs Maugan? Pictures. 8-)
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Tyrant » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:02 pm

Gaius speaks THE TRUTH.

Also, you obviously know your army pretty well by now. If you were facing an army like yours, how would you go about beating it? Where are your forces vulnerable?
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby Colonel Mustard » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Maugan, you terrify me...

P.S. Gaius speaketh the Emperor's Truth!
Colonel Mustard

Postby Gaius Marius » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:36 am

Colonel Mustard wrote:Maugan, you terrify me...

P.S. Gaius speaketh the Emperor's Truth!

I always speak the Emperor's Truth. Even when I'm lying. Especially when I'm lying.
Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Maugan Ra » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Tyrant wrote:Gaius speaks THE TRUTH.

Also, you obviously know your army pretty well by now. If you were facing an army like yours, how would you go about beating it? Where are your forces vulnerable?

I shall endeveaour to post up some pictures, then. I got a few of my army and my ally when we were playing that Apocolypse game a few weeks ago, but that was before the sudden expansion. I can get a Photobucket account, and then as soon as I top up my phone credit (the pics are on my iPhone) I shall see about getting some pictures of the full force uploaded on here.

Anyway. As to what my force is weak against... hmm. Rapid close assault. Not really the infantry wave assaults favoured by Orks or Tyranids - I have plenty of ordnance and general firepower to maul such forces before they reach me - but lightning attack forces that give me a turn at most to stop them. The style of play favoured by the Dark Eldar, really.

Actually, a full Dark Eldar army is perhaps the one I most dread fighting with this list. Make no mistake, I COULD fight it - orders and heavy weapon teams as a backbone of my force - but it's what I'm weakest against. The Guard need time to exterminate their opponents, and something which doesn't give me that time could probably stand a fair chance of defeating me.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Maugan Ra » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:23 pm

Tomorrow is the fourth match of the Badab War campaign. The mission is "The Angstrom Incident" and puts me as the defender in a Planetstrike game. My objective is to hold the Loyalists (who have an advantage in points over me) at bay long enough to fire up a number of teleport pads for extraction.

I'm going to experiment with an all-infantry force for this game. I'm well known at the store for fielding a significant number of tanks, and in any case I expect the enemy to come with at least a few meltaguns and the like. So let's see if I can win a game without any vehicles.

The Angstrom Incident
1,750pts

HQ

Company Command Squad - 290pts
Ursarker Creed and Jarren Kell
Officer of the Fleet
Vox-caster
2 Guardsmen with plasma guns

ELITES

10 Stormtroopers - 185pts
Two Meltaguns

TROOPS

Platoon Command Squad - 125pts
Lieutenant with Power Fist
Vox-caster
Heavy Flamer
2 Flamers
Commissar with Power Sword

5 x Infantry Squads - 300pts
Flamers, Vox-casters

3 x Heavy Weapon Squads - 315pts
Lascannons

Platoon Command Squad - 110pts
Lieutenant with Power Sword
Commissar with Power Fist
Vox-caster
3 Grenade Launchers

Grenade Launchers, Vox-casters

3 x Heavy Weapon Squads - 225pts
Heavy Bolters, Autocannons

TOTAL = 1,730pts

In total, that puts me at 142 soldiers. Hopefully sufficient to hold back 2,000pts of attacking Loyalists long enough to get those teleporters active. If I have to physically interpose my soldiers between angry Space Marines and the objective, then that's what I'll do.

The Officer of the Fleet imposes a -1 to all enemy reserve rolls. That can make all the difference, especially so in Planetstrike. And with three objectives on the field, I have enough strategic points to pick up the entrenched Asset, to give all my soldiers a 5+ cover save while they're in the open. I guess we'll see.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby sam vimes » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:05 pm

close assualt your weakness you say? How would you handle those nutter black templars?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Personally I'd possibly favour a drop pod mass assault (at least 6 if not eight (or ten) drop pods) as a way to cause Maugan troubles.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Colonel Mustard » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:05 pm

You're not good against sudden assaults, you say?

*Looks at own daemon force*

Well, that's a good thing for a certain Colonel, then... :twisted:
Colonel Mustard

Postby Maugan Ra » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm not sure how I'd handle Black Templars, to be honest, as no one at my local collects them. Still, I'd feel reasonably confident - I can fight Blood Angels, so I know I can take a CC-focused marine army in general. As for a mass Drop Pod assault.... yeah, that would likely cause me problems. Especially if they start fielding these special Dreadnought Drop Pods which apparently allow their passengers to assault when they arrive.... *grumbles*

Anyway. Angstrom Incident played, and I was victorious. It was a close run thing - at one point, my opponent needed to get a 5+ on a single dice to instantly win, but lucky for me got a 1. In the end, sheer numbers of lasgun shots did in the terminators and various other marines, and the Hellish Environment of the planet (which took effect each turn on a 5+, making all open ground into difficult terrain and imposing Night Fighting) saved me a few times from long-range missile fire into the teleport arrays.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby sam vimes » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:00 pm

ah well in that case I'll have to introduce to my housemate who is a massive fan/collector of the those boys in black, he still giggles when his emperors champion made the despoiler his to be ** and spread both him and his terminators across the landscape, appeared to have a headbutting contest with the betrayer (neither could break/wound the other) and he then cried a river to terra and back when after booting a farseers head into an avatar of khaine took exception to this and the avatar back handed him right across the mush still managed to wound the avatar before he died though
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Xisor » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:05 pm

I always loved a fight against BA/BT with my Dark Eldar back in Third Edition. There was such an eternal joy in seeing Space Marines evaporate under an Incubi & Archon charge.

Against IG it was almost always a different matter. It was only their unbeaten Cityfight record that saved face.

That said, my fledgling cityfight vets (possibly being dragooned into service by an Inquisitor) would be keen to see how they fare against the 210th too.
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Maugan Ra » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:51 am

There has been some talk between myself and the good Colonel Mustard over MSN. Turns out he's in the London area, and as he has to take the underground to get to his nearest GW anyway, he might be able to make a trip to Uxbridge at some point.

If so, I believe he intends to bring a mixed force of Chaos Marines, daemons and converted Traitor guard with which to oppose the 210th on the field of battle. If this occurs, I hereby promise you fine folks of the bolthole that there will be something resembling a battle report posted on the forum, which shall include some form of pictures.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:11 am

Muahaha...let the glory of Chaos reign! Even if your illustrious, well-seasoned, oft-victorious regiment defeats Mustard, their fate will have been irrevocably tweaked by Tzeentch. It's a lose-lose situation! The 210th are damned, I say! Damned!
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Colonel Mustard » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:23 am

Mossy Toes wrote:Muahaha...let the glory of Chaos reign! Even if your illustrious, well-seasoned, oft-victorious regiment defeats Mustard, their fate will have been irrevocably tweaked by Tzeentch. It's a lose-lose situation! The 210th are damned, I say! Damned!

And therein lies the true beauty of playing Chaos; even if you lose, you can still claim a moral victory by saying it was Tzeentch's plan all along! ;)
Colonel Mustard

Postby Tyrant » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:48 am

The forces of Chaos claiming a "moral victory"? That doesn't seem right.....
My Facebook writing page. Like it, it's awesome!

My Twitter page.

Cytheria

Valerion

I think Valerion could stand toe-to-toe with the best of Gaunt's Ghosts. I loved it. Gundi Da Grot

The sense of threat that permeates the entire piece is fantastic. xrayex

Tash'shi is made of win and awesome. Raziel4707
Tyrant

Postby Colonel Mustard » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:26 am

To be honest, I think anyone claiming a moral victory in the grim darkness of the 41st Millenium isn't right...
Colonel Mustard

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer