General Whf Lore Q&A

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: General Whf Lore Q&A

Postby Carandini » Sun May 13, 2012 8:51 am

Sure it does. It's called a Hell Pit Abomination.
Carandini

Postby sam vimes » Sun May 13, 2012 10:21 am

Athelassan wrote:There was a WD story about Tyrion from years ago (I do have the issue, but I can't give you the number, because I don't have it with me - I suspect about 2001-ish) from which I think this was taken, and then elaborated upon by further authors. Tyrion recaptured the Blighted Isle from N'Kari and approached the Sword of Khaine, although he turned down its entreaties for him to withdraw it. He noted that it appeared as a sword to him, as it had to Aenarion, and a lance to Caledor. He also mentally acknowledged that nobody knew what Tethlis saw. Malekith saw a mace/sceptre when he was tempted to draw it in Malekith.
Would that be the plain of bones one written by bill king? And good call caradini lol
I'm intrigued to know what Tethlis saw. "Genocidal bioweapon" doesn't really have an easy Old World analogue.

Ath
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Xisor » Sun May 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Carandini wrote:Sure it does. It's called a Hell Pit Abomination.

And there was me ready to say 'Orc'!
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby Athelassan » Sun May 13, 2012 3:31 pm

What would the <Insert Weapon> of Khaine display as to represent that, though?

The idea of Tethlis swinging around an orc/HPA is entertaining, but, I suspect, impractical.

Sam: I don't know. I have no way of finding the story right now and I don't recall the author. It's possible that it's the one you refer to, but I can't be sure. (EDIT) Having investigated via the magic of the internet I think that is indeed the story (WD264).

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Gaius Marius » Sun May 20, 2012 2:19 pm

So has anyone read Luthor Huss yet? Its implications for a Sigmar sponsored afterlife are rather interesting. In short

Spoiler: at least one extremely brave, virtuous person is killed and becomes an angel.

Space Cowboy, Spartan II, Specter, Reclusiarch

'I see the fear you have inside.'
Gaius Marius

Postby Rob P » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm moderately inclined to make the Island of Blood set and turn the High Elves into Wood Elves.

I know that Wood Elves don't have any griffin mount option in game, but is there anything un-fluffy about a Wood Elf lord rising a griffin? I suppose the question comes down to the nature of Griffin as a beast and whether the fact its a cross species makes it chaos-y and the general geography/availability of the beast to the residents of Athel Loren.
Rob P

Postby Athelassan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:51 pm

Well, there's the old can of worms.

Prior to 6th edition, there were relatively few restrictions on which armies could take which monsters. The Wood Elves had plenty of monsters available - in the fluff, they lived in the crags to the east of the forest. In 6th edition the monsters were pared back, partly for greater game balance and partly for more individualised army character. The Empire got the griffons, Bretonnia got the hippogriffs, and the Wood Elves were left with the Forest Dragon, the unicorn, the great eagle and the newly-created Great Stag. With Storm of Magic the monsters were brought back, but only as bound monsters rather than character mounts.

I had a Wood Elf lord on a griffon back in the day. That went the way of the chariots, and ultimately the whole army when they didn't release a new book for about a million years and when they did they'd made mine utterly illegal.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a Wood Elf lord on a griffon, but I come from an era where nobody would even have questioned it. But I've seen any number of people who've taken up the hobby since 2000 who work on a principle of "if it's not in the 6th ed army book onwards it doesn't exist". However, with the IoB griffon's being quite small, I'd say you could just proxy it as an eagle, especially if you have warhawks next to it, which it kind of resembles.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby davij038 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:46 pm

I loathed Luther Huss had so much potential and then just became rubbish, the authors usually very good as well...

As per the sword of Khaine- WHF is full of uhinged individuals...why not?
davij038

Postby Athelassan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:06 pm

It's not my favourite Chris Wraight book, either, although I didn't find it bad, just difficult. I can't help but feel though that it was a doomed project before it got going. When Luthor Huss was created as a character his raison d'etre was basically to find, then protect and support Valten; after Valten's death he's gone out looking for a successor. But with Valten's background shunted into limbo, it leaves Luthor himself without much of a purpose; he's just another iconoclastic warrior priest. The new background (and by extension the novel) tries to replace it with an implication that Huss himself is special, but I don't think it quite works.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Rob P » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Athelassan wrote:Well, there's the old can of worms.

Prior to 6th edition, there were relatively few restrictions on which armies could take which monsters. The Wood Elves had plenty of monsters available - in the fluff, they lived in the crags to the east of the forest. In 6th edition the monsters were pared back, partly for greater game balance and partly for more individualised army character. The Empire got the griffons, Bretonnia got the hippogriffs, and the Wood Elves were left with the Forest Dragon, the unicorn, the great eagle and the newly-created Great Stag. With Storm of Magic the monsters were brought back, but only as bound monsters rather than character mounts.

Ath

Thank you. This is most useful.

Presumably griffons are thought to be their own creature that looks like a hybrid (as opposed to a bona fide chaos-influenced hybrid e.g. a centigor)?
Rob P

Postby Athelassan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:33 pm

They are recognised as "creatures of Chaos", I think (that is, a monster rather than an animal) but they are their own species with reproductive ability, not inherently Chaos-aligned, so the Empire, High Elves etc. don't have a problem using them.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby sam vimes » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:17 pm

need an answer to a most important question me and vinny can't decide on who'd drink the other under the table a space wolf or a dwarf?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Athelassan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:41 am

It probably depends what they're drinking, to an extent. If Dwarf beer, the Dwarf could drink the whole chapter under the table. If Fenrisian beer, probably only a company or two. Before the Dwarf gets sick of drinking such umgi rubbish and leaves.

Space Wolves may have a heavily modified human biology to help them resist the effects of alcohol, but even the most heavily modified human is still a human.

;)

Ath
Athelassan

Postby sam vimes » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:54 am

thanks Ath it'd make a interesting drinking session lol

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby sam vimes » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:11 pm

who is the mother of night in naggaroth, is it Ereth Khial or another name for Morthai? I'm inclined to the former but I just don't know

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Athelassan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:05 pm

Is this from Darkblade?

Ath
Athelassan

Postby sam vimes » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 pm

Yep it is Ath if Mike has added to the DE then I'm not fussed as tbh they can't all be followers of Khaine or Slaanesh a third god being brought in after 5k years or so of separation from the general pantheon of gods, thier going to 'create' or revert to older gods.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Athelassan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:26 am

Yeah, just trying to work out the context. I believe that at the time that was written it was an original creation of Mike's, but obviously the Cytharai have been added to the background since then, and I rather like them. It does make it ambiguous what some of the names in Darkblade refer to, though. I would assume that the Dark Mother or Mother of Night refers to Ereth Khial, although Hekarti is a possibility. It could be Morathi, though I think it's less likely - they're more likely to curse by their gods than their royal family, I think. I don't think there's a definitive answer in any case.

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Rob P » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:45 pm

What were the Slann up to around the time that Aenarion the Defender was defending Ulthuan against neverending chaos hordes/daemons?

Were they fighting their own similar battle?
Rob P

Postby VictorK » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:05 am

Rob P wrote:What were the Slann up to around the time that Aenarion the Defender was defending Ulthuan against neverending chaos hordes/daemons?

Were they fighting their own similar battle?

They were. I can't remember the exact source, but all three of the major 'good' races, the HE, Slann, and Dwarfs were fighting their own battles that each contributed to the success of the other.

The Slann were fighting the daemons and using their magic to hold back to the tide of Chaos from the Southern Gate. Grimnir went to his doom at the same time, staunching the flow of daemons from the Northern Gate. And at Ulthuan Caledor created the Vortex, which made the situation sustainable. Caledor could not have succeeded without the Slann and Grimnir. It all comes together.
"The gods are not all powerful, they cannot erase the past." -Agathon
VictorK

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer