The 210th Cadian

A place to discuss all Warhammer-related background and products not explicitly connected to the Black Library.

Re: The 210th Cadian

Postby Colonel Mustard » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Maugan Ra wrote:No idea how, seeing as he was wounded and outnumbered ten to one, but he managed it anyway.

I have an idea of how he did it; by being Commissar Yarrick. You think he'd let something as paltry as being wounded and outnumbered stop him? ;)
Colonel Mustard

Postby Maugan Ra » Sat May 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Right, finally managed to get around to playing some more games a few days ago, both 1,500pts matches.

First one was against a Marines force, dawn of war annihilation setup. That one I was victorious in, flinging three Bane Wolves and four mechanised Veteran squads across the field at the enemy while tanks provided covering fire. Won by virtue of annihilating his entire force save a stunned Dreadnought.

Second game was a pitched battle objectives game against a Grey Knights force, which I lost. My opponent kept everything in reserve and then brought it in all in by deep strike. Close range carnage ensued, mainly as a result of three dread knights stomping all over everything. I had plenty of melts bombs, but those things are actually monstrous creatures and thus basically immune.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

The 210th Cadian - Tanks, heavy weapons, and an ongoing hatred of Land Raiders.
W: 41
D: 6
L: 14
Maugan Ra

Postby sam vimes » Sat May 26, 2012 7:28 pm

so how in the name of the God-Emperor do you stop a Dredknight ? plasma cannon shots? and two questions how big is IG army now and how are the Templars working for you?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Maugan Ra » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Dreadknights are certainly a pain in the backside to stop. I'm thinking of adding in a Leman Russ Exterminator, possibly with Pask in the turret, just to deal with similar big nasties. Two twin linked autocannons, hitting on a 3+, with re-rolls to wound could probably prove quite handy. For now though, in lieu of any new purchases, I'll just have to stick to heavy weapon teams and the Executioner. Probably the former more than the latter.

The 210th is still sitting comfortably at just over six thousand points, about a hundred and fifty infantry models with assorted tank support. Lots of assorted tank support. I've converted some scouts and the old metal Kasrkin into providing a passable immitation of some Storm Troopers, so I can now field two full strength squads of them. I'm actually considering buying a couple of those new Storm Talons and using them as Vendetta gunships - the only reason I haven't really included a proper air force of my own before is the fact that the Valkyrie/Vendetta model is too damn big to comfortably get in a case. The Storm Talon, though, is positively tiny, and thus works well as gunship support.

The Templars... are basically sitting on my shelves not really doing too much. I really should play some games with them.

Another game played yesterday, a straight 1,000pts match against some Space Marines. Four objectives, I was victorious 2-0 by virtue of having FAR more troop choices available to capture the points than my opponent, who had all of fifteen viable models. They did not last long.
Maugan, your slow descent into madness is starting to look more like a BASE jump...
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby sam vimes » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Thanks for the reply Ra and I'm curious could a Vindicare assassin stop a Dredknight with thier turbo pen rounds? And your Templars my house mate has been bouncing off the walls wondering if you'd maimed some poor sod with them, I'll have to say thier busy praying in the chapel lol
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Maugan Ra » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:57 am

Another game yesterday, as I got to playing before the new edition of the rules arrive. 2,000pts against some more Space Marines, one objective each. I won in the end by holding both objectives, albeit only narrowly, as I had to pretty much had to resort to knife-fight ranged firefights to push the final few Marines away from their objective.

I fielded an Infantry horde army this time, only one tank, and the match eventually degenerated into my enemy clawing for a draw after I annihilated Vulkan He'stan and his terminator unit in a hail of heavy weapons fire. Was rather fun, and I am reminded of why I love taking Creed so much. Orders everywhere....
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Maugan Ra » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:10 pm

Bought my copy of the new rules today, and got to play my first match of Sixth edition. Mostly as a trial run. Me and a Dark Angels ally against an alliance of Black Templars and Blood Angels. One thousand points each, so it was effectively a 2k game.

Unfortunately, we ended up losing, after our counterattack against the outflanking Templars failed utterly. The Deathwing got themselves massacred in a string of appalling dice rolls, and the Templars promptly rolled all the way up my entire line.

On the upside, the new rules seem solid enough. The vehicles section in particular is absolutely spoiling my army - glancing hits don't stop you shooting, immobilizing a squadron member no longer kills it, and weapon destroyed results take off a random gun rather than the best one you have. Plasma weapons can damage tanks with their overheating now, admittedly, so the Executioner is slightly less of the cheese incarnate it previously was, but all in all, very nice.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Maugan Ra » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:27 am

And demonstrating one of the fun things inherent in the new rules - as well as the fact that I have way too many vehicles - here's a 3k Mech list I'm going to be experimenting with. It hinges on the fact that in 6th edition, your army list can be divided into detachments. And above two thousand points, you can have more than one primary detachment, to prevent the force organization chart from becoming too limiting.

What does this allow? In effect, twice as many slots for Elites, Fast Attack and Heavy Support, provided you can make twice the number of required minimums. As demonstrated below.

HQ

Lord Commissar with power sword - 80pts

Lord Commissar with power fist - 85pts

Troops

4 Veteran Squads 460pts
Demolitions and three flames each

4 Chimeras 280pts
Heavy bolters, multi-lasers and extra armour

Fast Attack

3 Hellhounds - 390pts

Heavy Support

2 Leman Russ battle tanks 370pts
- Extra armour and heavy bolter sponsons

2 Leman Russ Demolishers 400pts
- Extra armour and heavy bolter sponsons

Leman Russ battle tank and Leman Russ Executioner 410pts
- Extra armour, executioner has plasma cannon sponsons

Leman Russ Punisher and Exterminator 405pts
- Extra armour and Heavy bolter sponsons

So, in total, eight main line battle tanks, four armored fist units and three flame tanks. All of whom have three hull points apiece, negate stunning, are no longer destroyed by immobilised results and can fire all their guns on the move (true, only the turret guns with function with reliable accuracy, but it's still a cheerfully obscene amount of shots).

My tactics revolve around the inelegant method of just punching the other army in the face with an armour plated fist. The Leman Russ is a wonderfully flexible tank chassis, so I have something in there for all types of foe, but very few people can build their lists to have nearly the required amount of anti-tank firepower to take me on.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:27 pm

see the double organisation for 2000 points plus excites me as well but I can't help but feel all I'll do with my nids is have 12 troops choices (including Tervigons).
schaferwhat‽

Postby Xisor » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:58 pm

There's something alluring in seeing the wary allies as being an excuse to invest in large numbers of weapons of mass destruction.

Tau gunline... plus a full ally component of khornate daemons.

I'm intrigued though. That tank-heavy list appeals to me, George, mainly on the basis that it's also now both more durable and more tangible. It's easy to get to grips with, applying lots of glancing hits can be... successful. But it's still a bloody potent enemy. I'd be very excited to fight it; I'll see about knocking together a visit to Aberdonia. ;)
"When my housemate puts his bike in the middle of the living room floor, I find that inordinately jarring, annoying and rude, but for me to refer to it as "genocide" would be incorrect." -Ath
xisor.wordpress
Xisor's Dice-o-matic Maiminator
Xisor
Site Admin

Postby LordLucan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:46 pm

schaferwhat‽ wrote:see the double organisation for 2000 points plus excites me as well but I can't help but feel all I'll do with my nids is have 12 troops choices (including Tervigons).

DO IT! That is Tyranids how they should be imo.

As for me, I wonder how many venoms, raider, ravagers and razorwing jets* I could cram into a list? I love the idea of an armada of flying death!

*(I want a void raven, but there's no model yet dang it! :( )
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Maugan Ra » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:11 am

Well, I managed to get a game in with the aforementioned list, and it works as well as I was expecting it to. 3k game against a Sisters of Battle force that was using the allies rules as a way to get some Grey Knights and Inquisitor allies in there. We ended up with the lengthways deployment type, which was interesting, and got 'purge the alien' as our mission, which is basically kill points.

Fun fact - Squadrons count as units in all regards, so you have to wipe the Squadron to get the point for killing it. Anyway, I ended up winning in the end, but it was surprisingly close. The Sororitas managed a late game comeback and ended just one point behind by the time the game ended, pretty much trashing their way through my units with meltagun related death. Still, a victory for me, and a few points of interest that turned up.

- Units take considerably fewer penalties on leadership tests now. In fact, special rules aside, you test on full leadership for everything except being beaten in combat. No half strength penalties, as an example. So less running away.

- Independant characters can form excellent meat shields, as odd as that sounds. Put them near the front of your unit, and thanks to wound allocation, they take every save inflicted on the unit until they die, usually with an armour that's better than the rest of the unit. But when they fail saves, on a 2+ it gets transferred to another model instead. Be careful, though, since failing the look out sir roll against a serious hit (like, say, incoming Lascannons) means you can easily lose your expensive character.

- The glancing hit rules do mean that vehicles are both harder and easier to destroy, oddly enough. For the first few turns, a battle tank will be basically unstoppable, as the few lucky hits from lesser weapons won't even slow it down. On the flip side of that, if you can keep it up for a few turns, then eventually they'll reach a point where even a glancing hit will automatically kill them. This is in large part the reason for the late game kill spree the Sororitas managed against me, since by then they only needed to get a glancing hit or two to take out a vehicle.

- Reserves are another interesting one. On turns two and three, you arrive on a 3+, and the automatic turn up is on turn 4. So putting units in reserve is now somewhat less of a gamble than it was before, and thus to be encourgaged as an option for armies that wouldn't ordinarily employ it. Combined with the fact that all vehicles can move flat out (albeit standard ones only go an extra six), and holding back a mobile reserve force for late game reinforcement makes a lot of sense. I might try it myself.

Frank/Xisor - By all means. If you can make it up here, I'd happily give you a game. The local store has plenty of tables, though avoid the squealing children if you can.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby LordLucan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:55 am

The glancing hit rules do mean that vehicles are both harder and easier to destroy, oddly enough. For the first few turns, a battle tank will be basically unstoppable, as the few lucky hits from lesser weapons won't even slow it down. On the flip side of that, if you can keep it up for a few turns, then eventually they'll reach a point where even a glancing hit will automatically kill them. This is in large part the reason for the late game kill spree the Sororitas managed against me, since by then they only needed to get a glancing hit or two to take out a vehicle.

That always used to happen anyway with my DE. Now at least our Raiders are more survivable, even if your hefty metal coffins aren't... :P
Check out my debut fantasy novel from Fox Spirit Books, The Hobgoblin's Herald (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobgoblins-Herald-R-Aston/dp/1910462047). If you've read it, please rate and review it on amazon; I'd be eternally grateful. The sequel, Eater of Names, is out in 2018, so watch this space.
LordLucan

Postby Maugan Ra » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:40 am

Played another game yesterday, a 2k game against a Chaos Marines and Tau alliance (but odd, but there you go). Game was 'The scouring', which meant fighting over six objectives of varying value, and fast attack units could capture even if they were vehicles. In the end, both sides had lost all their claiming units, and the game came down to secondary objectives. I had First Blood, but my opponent managed to get Slay the Warlord and Linebreaker, so I lost my one point.

I should like to note here that I made the warlord take about eight saves in that last turn, each of which would have killed him if he failed one, but passed them all. Ah well. Did manage to take out a flying daemon prince when it landed for a turn to smack my vehicles around with a Punisher volley. That gun is quite hilariously fun to use.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Postby Maugan Ra » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:28 pm

My first game against Tyranids today, at least in any sizable numbers. Got a 2k game, playing Purge the Alien in a lengthways deployment zone. I took a reasonably balanced list, with more of an emphasis on infantry (only three tanks. Whatever is the world coming to...) while my foe tended towards the bigger creatures. Game ended in a 10-7 win to me.

Creed directing heavy weapon teams is still as excellent as ever, though the flying hive tyrant was deeply irritating to try shooting down.
- Rahvin

Maugan Ra

Previous

Return to Board index

Return to Worlds of Warhammer