Music

Extraneous communication, genuflection, adulation, dissection and admiration should make its way in here.

Re: Music

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:54 am

Saw Suede at the Manchester Academy last night. My ears still ring. Brett, you strutting strumpet, how you adore to be adored. Blinding show (not least because of Brett's teeth. :D )
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby schaferwhat‽ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:36 am

I just got my tickets for half man half biscuit in January in the post. Exciting times.

Also "No Blues" by Los Campensinos! is pretty good, not as fun as their real early stuff not as unrelentingly melancholic as "Hello Sadness". When the song “Selling Rope (Swan Dive To Estuary)” gets onto youtube I'll probably suggest it for a RIAR prompt.

"Fade Away" by Best Coast is a bit disapointing yes it is only a 7 track EP but only three of those tracks grab me, the rest ranging from generic (read dull) alternative rock (some of the verse structures remind me of barenaked ladies but without the wit and charm because that isn't Best Coast) to what would just be filler tracks on a proper Best Coast album.
schaferwhat‽

Postby Major Rawne » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Finally bothered to getting round to looking up the song on the Horizon trailer for Assassin's Creed 4. I now know what album I will be giving a try on my way to work tomorrow.
Half Moon Run - Full Circle
Major Rawne

Postby Therion » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:01 am

Debauchery - Kill Maim Burn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGWQ4UcwArA
Most absurd lyrics-video mismatch ever.

Too bad their CDs are so expensive :( .
"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Midgard » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:23 pm

A bit of shameless self-promotion, especially since it seems that there are quite a few metal fans here:

My band Midgard - melodic death metal with the emphasis on melodic:

http://www.midgardmetal.com
http://www.facebook.com/midgardmetal

We have three songs from our latest album available online for streaming - hope you guys enjoy!
My Amazon writer page - check out my novel and short stories!
MIDGARD - my melodic death metal band's new album is now on BandCamp
Twisthammer - alternate WH40K fan-project
Midgard

Postby Rob P » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:08 am

Watching and listening to the Fleetwood Mac Boston Tour 2004. Yeah, they're still good (as long as you ignore Tusk onwards :lol: ).
Rob P

Postby sam vimes » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:14 am

Whilst Skillet are a christian rock band I choose to find my own meanings in the songs they do but this one is very open to interpretation a good song with a well done amv set to it.

Never Surrender
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BFQqmCR ... qvP4YsNKhw
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby sam vimes » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:25 pm

Well im amazed at how much a band can change over two songs I quite like the first song from 2007, but the latter from this year is more to what I prefer:

Bleach - Thanks For The Memories: 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWsP7pkg ... qvP4YsNKhw

BLEACH AMV - The Phoenix: 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMzSrmoO ... qvP4YsNKhw

Could I ask for my fellow boltholers thoughts on these songs and the amvs please?
"Huron-Fal’s systems were on the verge of shutdown ... ‘This death,’ rasped the voder, ‘this death is ours. We choose it. We deny you your victory.’

"Abandon your fear. Look forward. Move forward and never stop. You'll age if you pull back. You'll die if you hesitate."

"From iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron." "And may it ever be so"
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Therion » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:41 pm

"There can be no bystanders in the battle for survival. Anyone who will not fight by your side is an enemy you must crush" -Scriptorus Munificantus
Therion

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:53 am

Fall Out Boy's decent, sam, for all that there's the cultural stigma of them being seen as "whiny early teens soundtrack." Haven't heard any of their recent stuff, to be honest.

I myself have been listening to a lot of stuff recently. Funny how there's always more to discover. I'd been kinda stagnating with my musical horizons for a while I feel but these last few months have broken that dam. Just recently got a bunch of Burial, Emancipator, The Antlers, Sigur Rós (this one not exactly new to me but my investment in them has certainly expanded), alt+j, James Blake...

Also enjoying the CHVRCHES album, which seems to have blown up quite popularly. I was disappointed by how poppy it felt on my first listen-through but on every listen-through since it's grown on me until by now I'm quite enamored.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby sam vimes » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:00 pm

I'd been kinda stagnating with my musical horizons for a while

yeah this is me too lol just can't find any new bands to get into so lately it's been stratovaruis, gamma ray, sabaton, nightwish from the tarja era, I tried to get back into bon jovi but all his songs newest one's that is just make me sad or they seem centered around loss good songs don't get me wrong the man can write and sing as well as ever, but they just aren't for me, a band called cruxshadows has caught my attention they have a good few songs in them winterborn and I'm being hypocritical here is about loss but there was a strong element of hope in the lyrics that appealed to me.

The Cruxshadows - Winterborn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG_XLm3u2gQ

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby The Hillock » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:25 pm

Mossy Toes wrote:I myself have been listening to a lot of stuff recently. Funny how there's always more to discover. I'd been kinda stagnating with my musical horizons for a while I feel but these last few months have broken that dam. Just recently got a bunch of Burial, Emancipator, The Antlers, Sigur Rós (this one not exactly new to me but my investment in them has certainly expanded), alt+j, James Blake...

The Wrath is a massive fan of Burial and has been for some years, and encourages James Blake listening wherever possible. Recommend giving Sampha a try.
Probably the worst WH40k player in the world...

Hillock's terrain thread
Hillock's Flesh Tearers thread
The Hillock

Postby Mossy Toes » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:03 am

The Wrath wrote:The Wrath is a massive fan of Burial and has been for some years, and encourages James Blake listening wherever possible. Recommend giving Sampha a try.

Immediately. I go.
What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator!
Mossy Toes

Postby Chun the Unavoidable » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:57 am

I got a NIN album for Christmas - a bit of a listening experiment for me. So far, I've only played a few of the songs. It's very good, but, by God, is it angry!
Chun the Unavoidable

Postby Vivia » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Listening to Namie Amuro on itunes, a Japanese singer. She sings mostly dance music with a weird twist, a kind of darker Kylie Minogue but Japanese all through and through. Love it. Sadly, her album Checkmate isn't on iTunes, curse you Itunes SWE. I found it on PlayJapan for a much better price than Amazon.com.

Do Me More
What A Feeling
Ballerina
New Look
There is nothing gay about the Princeton fight song. "Oh, the men of Princeton are charging up the rear, holding all the balls..." Okay, I hear it now. – Jack, episode Queen of Jordan
Vivia

Postby sam vimes » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:24 pm

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
sam vimes

Postby Therion » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Therion

Postby Mossy Toes » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:57 am

Hunter, by Have A Nice Life, off their debut double album Deathconsciousness (more specifically, the album half called The Plow that Broke the Plains).

Shoegaze as a genre isn't too conducive to writing while listening to. I find myself... drifting off too often. Deathconsciousness is still a fantastic album.
Mossy Toes

Postby Athelassan » Wed May 07, 2014 5:10 pm

For some reason, I've been listening almost exclusively to Bright Eyes and Leonard Cohen this week and am now depressed. Need to find something a bit more cheerful, I think...

Ath
Athelassan

Postby Mossy Toes » Wed May 07, 2014 7:00 pm

Athelassan wrote:For some reason, I've been listening almost exclusively to Bright Eyes and Leonard Cohen this week and am now depressed.

I'm not one to imply correlation equals causation... but it may be safe to say that there's a link of some sort there.

Good bands though the two of them are.

My earworms of late have been Sometimes I Still Feel the Bruise, by the Mountain Goats, and the rather NSFW, quite sensual music video for Take Me, by Sufjan Stevens (or rather, his new collaboration group Sisyphus).
Mossy Toes

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Insanely Off Topic